Do you have iPod Envy?

My wife has wanted to get an MP3 player for a while and I have been looking for the right one. I have a couple of (ViewSonic and Hitachi)PocketPC’s that I use and have been thinking about why not just use the PPC to play the music. The problem is that using the PPC to play the music isn’t as easy as a single purpose device like the iPod. The software that is out there is ok but I found a program emulates the iPod on a PocketPC.

Check out the iPod clone for the pocketpc from and it’s only $20. (disclaimer: I don’t have anything to do with this company)

What is your experience with using the PocketPC as a MP3 player?

1. Fabrice says:

I’ve been using my iPaq as an MP3 player, and it works fine.

The problems are battery autonomy (with the first iPaqs at least) and storage space. I downgrade the files to 64Kbps to have two hours of music.

2. Anonymous Coward says:

I used an HP Jornada with a 256MB CF card for a long while. The sound and playback were fine, but there are definite drawbacks. A dedicated MP3 player is much smaller than a Pocket PC and therefore better for gym/running/etc. Also, MP3 players have controls on the outside so you don’t need to pull out the device and poke a touchscreens if it’s in your pocket or you’re on the move. Lastly, I found Pocket Media Player too prone to skipping and ‘pinging’ between tracks. I beared with it for a while, but now I’ve got a tiny 512MB player (MPIO) with FM radio and slick controls, I wouldn’t even think of going back.

3. Ferris Beuller says:

Nope, never will touch the iPod.

iRiver is what you want, plug n play file system, none of this turdware from Apple.

4. Ferris Beuller says:

Guess who reads slashdot 😀

5. Paul Stubbs says:

I do read Slashdot. But not everyday. I do read google news everyday (every few hours)

I saw the story on google first and followed the link to the cnet article.

6. Jorriss.Net says:

Alright, this is just cool.  It’s a code highlighter.  It parses your code and creates HTML…