WMI Provider Error Access is denied – while changing SQL Server account password

Recently one of our blog readers reported that when they tried to change the SQL Server account password in SQL Server Configuration Manager they were getting "WMI Provider Error Access is denied [0x80070005]".  This was happening on two separate Windows Server 2008 machines that were in a workgroup, and the user was logged on as local administrator.

image

I curiously enough was also having this problem on 3 of my machines (two Vista and one Windows 2008) when I was trying to update my password in SQL Server Configuration Manager after my domain account password expired and had to be changed.  I was logged on with my domain account that is a member of local administrator.  This problem was also happening whether I would use my SQL 2005 or SQL 2008 Configuration Manager.

I have yet to finish sorting out exactly why this access denied is occurring, but wanted to post a simple workaround I identified while investigating this.

First confirm that you are logged on with an account that is a local administrator (or member of local Administrators).  After you open SQL Configuration Manager and go to properties for the Service, instead of immediately trying to change the password, go to Browse and then type the account name in the "enter the object name to select" box and choose check names to let it resolve.  Then come back to the properties screen and enter the password.

Sarah Henwood | Microsoft SQL Server Escalation Services

1. keif.gwinn@gmail.com says:

I’m experiencing exactly the same problem with an SQL Server 2008 SP1 installation, first node of a two node cluster. The second node won’t install, and the setup crashes out when it gets to the point of setting the sqlserver accounts.

I’m trying to change the passwords to be less complex than I’d previously set as I felt perhaps that was causing the problem.

I tried your work around, but I’m getting

—————————

WMI Provider Error

—————————

The process terminated unexpectedly. [0x8007042b]

—————————

OK

—————————

now.

The machines are in a domain rather than a workgroup, and are using domain accounts.

2. jinfeng says:

Thanks for your tip. Another simple workaround: say you have user name as domainjohn, all you need to do is in the user name text box, "touch" the name but don’t change it: either retype or simply add a space and then delete the space; after that you can update your password and then click Apply/OK. That will work.

3. Willwander says:

It worked, your a star!

many thanks

4. Rob R. says:

Thank you Sarah!  Your workaround really saved me!

5. nealg says:

I found that just "touching" the account name as jinfeng suggested didn't work for me, but retyping any part of the account name works.

Browsing for the account name also works but this takes more time.

6. nealg says:

Browsing for the account name also works but this takes more time.

7. nealg says:

Browsing for the account name also works but this takes more time.

8. Tim Andaya says:

I just had this happen on a system without an expired password that just stopped running.

9. scott says:

Tried that and it does not fix the problem. I still cannot change the service account.

10. Greg Ramsaran says:

Thank you much for this post. Good thing is it was the first hit on Google :).

Also I hope this "Bug" was fixed.

11. Sujit says:

I am facing similar issue on my SQL Server 2005 production server and none of the workaround suggested here seems to be working. Does anyone have any other suggestions for this error message?

12. webthaumaturge says:

Worked like a charm. Much appreciated!

13. KevinL says:

AWESOME.  Just spent 2 hours trying to figure this out before I found this post.  Ridiculous how easy it was to fix.

This fix workied like a charm

14. Erika says:

Solved!!! thanks a lot!!!

15. Sharonf says:

I found that the problem was that I needed to grant the account “run as a service” rights.