Project 2007 Project Resource Kit

Hi everyone, Phil Smail from the Project Product Group here. Just wanted to announce the news that I know a lot of you out there have been waiting for. The Project Resource Kit for Project 2007 has released!! It’s available for x86 and x64 in English only

The PRK consists of the following tools:

• Portfolio Analyzer Views Migration: Allows an administrator to bulk edit the location of an analysis server for multiple data analysis views.
  • Project Server Settings Backup and Restore (Playbooks): Allows an administrator to backup Project Server settings and restore those settings to another Project Server.
  • Project Server Data Populator: Allows an administrator to populate Project Server with projects, resources and other objects. Useful for helping capacity and performance testing.
  • Project Workspace Site Relinker: Allows an administrator to relink the connection between Project Server and Project Workspace sites.
  • View Effective Rights: Allows an administrator to query the Project Server to determine the effective permissions of users against projects or resources.

Full documentation on the tools is expected shortly. In the meantime try them out and feel free to post comments

URL:

1. Hello, I just wanted to point everyone to our other team blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/project/archive

2. Craig says:

I have been playing with Playbooks, and it is going to solve a lot of longstanding migration issues for us.  However, I get the following error trying to backup the server security settings:

ERROR: Could not load file or assembly ‘Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Library, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c’ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Any thoughts?

3. AFrank says:

The "Portfolio Analyzer Views Migration" utility works well, but the database pick list is so narrow I couldn’t tell what I was choosing until I got to the summary screen. Also, view names can be very long and it’s nice to see their current database setting which is only shown at the end of the view name in the Select Views screen.

Any plans to create a utility to migrate views from one instance of Project Server to another?! That would be super handy.

4. If tried out the Playbooks, but it seems it doesn’t transfer all client global settings. I created a fresh instance and restored a configuration, but then all the client views/tables/filters/groupings were missing. Only the macros had been transferred.

So it runs pretty well, but still is not complete.

Also a nice feature for further development would be the selection of single items from item groups to restore, e.g. Restore only lookup table "xyz"

Regards,

Trutz

5. cesar cruz says:

I downloaded the resource kit and I installed it on my app server. I’m able to use the effective rights feature but every time I want to use the Playbook it keeps asking me for correct URL, user name and password. I see there is a config file but I do not the format…Please help as I need to copy production data to a development server.

Thank You.

6. papt says:

I Tried out the Playbooks with a customized install. Enterprise Global settings (client views, tables, etc) were missing. Enterprise custom fields with lookup, PWA views and settings were restored correctly. But enterprise custom fields with formula were absolute wrong (Mixed Enterpise Custom field names in the formula etc.)

7. psod says:

Hi,

Server settings and PWA views migration works great.

But no Project Professional views will be migrated !

8. Pheeel says:

To Craig:

You’ll need a copy of Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Library in the same directory as the PRK tools. It ships in the Project SDK

Location:

9. Pheeel says:

To AFrank:

Thanks for the feedback on the tool

We do have a tool to migrate views from one instance to another, it’s called Playbooks and it ships in the PRK!

10. Pheeel says:

To cesar cruz:

Having to enter the username/password when running playbooks should prevent you from migrating data from production to environment

11. Pheeel says:

To papt:

The formula custom fields issue is known and we are looking into how we will resolve that. No ETA unfortunately

12. Mathew says:

Awesome tool.

Is there any plan to be able to backup/restore the following?

Enterprise Calendars

Financial Periods

These unfortunately are probably the two of the biggest things that we would like to use the tool for.

13. R Halbach says:

I downloaded the tools and tried beginning with the view effective rights because I currently have an issue where this could be very handy.  I don’t seem to be able to run the utility.  I tried on my workstation & when that didn’t work, I tried to run it directly from the application server.  This netted better results, but with no database server information, it showed that it was connecting.  When I added the database server name, it said ‘disconnected’ and it didn’t appear I could get it to try again.  Any ideas?

Thanks, R Halbach

14. Mathew says:

I have been trying to get the "View Effective Rights" tool working and this had been failing.

The Technet site that describes this tool (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197528.aspx) states that read access into the _Published database is required.  However, after much gnashing of teeth we got the tool working by granting dbo rights.

I would rather not have the people using this tool having dbo access.  Is there any known work around for this?  Has anyone else had similar issues?

We are using SQL Server 2005 SP1.

15. Mathew says:

Actually, a mis-type.  We run SQL Server 2005 SP2 (not SP1)

We have also tried changing permissions to dbo_securityadmin but this connects to the server and retrieves that database name, then the application errs and closes.

16. Steve says:

Hi

Despite granting my user dbo rights in every database on the SQL 2005 server we are running, I keep getting this error when trying to start playbooks.exe  :

"ERROR: Server was unable to process request —> Cannot open database "SSPrvCfg01" requested by login. The login failed. Login failed for user DOMAINserviceaccount . Please set URL, username  and password correctly."

The service account we use has full local admin rights on the server and is sa in the SQL database server and dbo in every database on the server. Note the SQL database is a named instance. We are using WSS 3.0 and have only one PWA.

Any help most appreciated

Steve.

17. Greg says:

If you rename fields prior to using Playbooks to migrate enterprise fields it is possible for the Reporting DB schema to mismatch.

Example:  There is a field CF_State in PROD.  There is a view in the reporting database called MSPCF_CF_State_Userview holding the values.  If you later rename the field to, say, PJ_CF_State the view name in the reporting database remains the same.  However, when you use Playbooks to migrate settings to a new instance with an an empty database the reporting db view will be created while Playbook is running and the view name will be MSPCF_PJ_CF_State_Userview.  This is a mismatch and can cause problems migrating code to PROD.  Not a problem if you don’t access the db directly, but in our case, that’s exactly what we do.

Greg

18. Ben Mac says:

Hi Phil,

Yep, i am experiencing the same issue as Steve (September 25, 2008 2:08 AM).

A long time ago, I came across this issue on a Virtual box, but i rectified it by copying Microsoft.Project.Server.Library to the same folder as Playbooks. Presto!

However, this method is not working now.

Also, interestingly, i can run the PAViewsMigration applet with same server and credentials – NO PROBLEM!??!

Can you please confirm/answer these points:

a) Are you meant to run it on the server that hosts the PWA site [shouldnt have to, as it uses Web Services]

b) What type of permissions are required to run Playbooks,

c) What is the correct contents (if any) of "playbooks.exe.config" file. Mine is pretty much empty.

Cheers,

Ben

19. The Project 2007 Project Resource Kit is a very useful set of tools. The PRK consists of the following

20. Ken Tanch says:

Hi Phil,

As an implementer of Project Server 2007, I’ve been using the RK tools since they have been released and have to say all of them are useful were worth the wait.

I have a question regarding the View Effective Rights tools when using it with a server with Multiple PWA instances and therefore multiple Published databases.

The tools seems to want to default the connection to the name of the first Published database it sees alphabetically. Even when I select the other instance’s Published DB the connection does not refresh.

Is there a way to force the connection to refresh to connect to the other PWA instance?

Thanks

Ken

21. Sam says:

Hi,

I am getting following error while restoring the Custom fields and Lookup table.

ERROR: Project Server Error: CustomFieldInvalidUID Context: Updating custom

field <Custom Field Name>.

Please help!!!!!

22. Travis says:

Hello,

I am getting the same error as Sam.

ERROR: Project Server Error: CustomFieldInvalidUID Context: Updating custom

I have tried the Playbook tool on our PWA server and my client pc with no luck.  I have also checked permissions to add enterprise fields and everything looks fine.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks!

23. Faraz khan says:

Hi,

i am trying to work with PRK.

it fetches all the information (Resources, Views, from the database, but not the projects.

Any Idea?