Event ID: 6482 : Parameter name: SearchDataAccessServiceInstance

After I removed a WFE from the Server Farm (MOSS), I get the following error in the Application Log. As usual it worked fine when I did the same thing in Lab, but everything has to go wrong when it comes to production... 🙁

Anyway, lets get down to the resolution...

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    Office SharePoint Server
Event Category:    Office Server Shared Services
Event ID:    6482
Date:        8/12/2007
Time:        12:54:10 PM
User:        N/A
Computer:    Primary Server Name
Application Server Administration job failed for service instance Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance (d83720bf-51ec-4ff1-97e6-bd9b77c7fa58).

Reason: Removed Server Name
Parameter name: SearchDataAccessServiceInstance

Techinal Support Details:
System.ArgumentNullException: Removed Server Name
Parameter name: SearchDataAccessServiceInstance
   at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchApi.RunOnServer[T](CodeToRun`1 remoteCode, CodeToRun`1 localCode, Boolean useCurrentSecurityContext, Int32 versionIn)
   at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchApi.RunOnServer[T](CodeToRun`1 remoteCode, CodeToRun`1 localCode)
   at Microsoft.Search.Administration.Security.HOSTSFile.ConfigureDedicatedGathering(SearchServiceInstance searchServiceInstance, SPServer dedicatedWebFrontEndServer, IList`1 previousWebApplicationHostNames)
   at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance.SynchronizeDefaultContentSource(IDictionary applications)
   at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance.Synchronize()
   at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.ApplicationServerJob.ProvisionLocalSharedServiceInstances(Boolean isAdministrationServiceJob)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

When I checked the ULS logs, I couldn't find anything meaningful. The problem is, the second server is still showing up in the Central Admin whereas I have removed it from the server Farm. So this is what I did

  1. Used Remove Server option from "Servers in the Farm"
  2. In the Configure Office SharePoint Server Search Service Settings page - Checked "Use all Front-End Web Servers for Crawling"


This seems to resolve the issue.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Comments (1)

  1. After I removed a WFE from the Server Farm (MOSS), I get the following error in the Application Log.

Skip to main content