Notepad++ Another Fast Notepad replacement with syntax highlighting

We covered Notepad2.exe before, but Don sent me his "NotePad++" application to try. The main differences I've seen between the two is that notepad2 seems to launch a little faster on my machine, but notepad++ supports a multiple document tabbed interface.  I also like the bit of humor on the Notepad++ toolbar selection:

"Hide Me", "Reduce Me", "Enlarge Me", or... "Give me the ugly, hideous, standard icons" 🙂

Check it out for yourself here: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

1. anonymous says:

I’ll have to check this out. I’ve noticed that notepad2 has a few problems:

Bad performance over term server

No search up capability (even though they expanded the search capabilities)

Poor search performance (I’m betting it’s for(int i =0 ;i<strlen(file); i++) if(stricmp(&file[i], str, strlen(str)))) { match! } instead of a better string matching algorithm.

So in short it could use some improvements, and tabbed interface sounds great.

2. Smeghead says:

UltraEdit rocks

3. Smeghead says:

UltraEdit rocks

Real hackers use WinHex for editing documents 😀

Hands up how many use Visual Studio for surfing and editing files when editing? Why open YET ANOTHER APPLICATION when you can just open a new tab?

4. Smeghead says:

anonymous, why don’t you just pull the source from sourceforge and stop whining like a little girl instead.

5. anon says:

*Shrug* what’s the point? We have SCiTe…

6. I would never use a product that has that ever-hilarious "M$" lamecronym on the front page, free as it might be.

BTW, if you want editors, we have editors =)

7. b.gr says:

Well, I might just throw in Programmers Notepad 2 (http://www.pnotepad.org/) into the round dance of other editors 🙂 And no, I am not doing it because I participate in its development only 🙂

8. André says:

Klaus,

It’s not a reasonable argument to judge a software just by its "M$" lamecronym.

free as you might be.

9. kompy says:

A neat little Open Source text editor which is context sensitive so that I can spot the code from the text as I create web pages.

I now use it for everything. Thank you guys for this great link!

10. Mark Levison says: