Which Version of .NET is Built into Windows?

This post has moved here.

1. I’ve also got a list of this information that includes the .NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1 at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/14/mailbag-what-version-of-the-net-framework-is-included-in-what-version-of-the-os.aspx.

This graphical view does a better job of illustrating the on/off by default settings on the various OS’s though.  Thanks for putting this together Peter!

2. So here’s the problem I have with this ( not  you Peter )…

From a setup perspective, this tells me I should targetting .NET 2.0.

But developers almost always want Linq, WCF, WPF and so on so they wan’t 3.5SP1.

That’s fine, except this chart basically tells us that Microsoft isn’t doing much to help us setup guys.

Is this just another case of Windows Platform vs DevDiv mindset differences?

3. Nick says:

I completely agree with Christopher.

What leaves me puzzled is, the .NET framework development seems to be lagging behind OS development.  For example, Cider was not fully built into Visual Studio until VS2008, and VS2008 Cider by default targets .NET 3.5.  With VS2008 being released shortly after Vista, and VS2010/.NET4.0 being released shortly after Win7…

Wouldn’t it be better to push .NET updates more aggressively into client platforms, perhaps as part of SP1?  I can understand .NET development lagging behind Win development to allow for additional testing, but seriously, how many people target .NET 3.0 rather than 3.5?

4. Thomas Crowe says:

If I’m not mistaken, isn’t Windows Sever 2008 RTM and Windows Server 2008 SP1 the same thing (SP1 being the first release of the server OS)? What is included in Windows Server 2008 SP2?

5. Vitor Canova says:

How about Windows XP? I think SP3 brings framework 2.0 or later.

6. Wayne Patin says:

It would be interesting to see another color-coded category of frameworks delivered by Windows Update. I believe 3.0 was part of an update to Win XP.

7. Lots of great questions and comments. I’ll try to hit on all of them.

@Thomas: You are right, I need to fix it, that was meant to be SP1 and SP2. RTM and SP1 of Server 2008 were released at the same time.

@Vitor: No, .NET was never built into XP.

@Wayne: Windows Update offers the latest .NET version to XP and all newer OS’s. 3.5 SP1 which is the latest released framework and contains 3.0 SP2 was offered on XP.

@Chris: Your comment was exactly what I expected and I’m glad you made it. What you are saying isn’t wrong. I’m hoping to provide a better answer for us setup guys in the future.

@Nick: I would like to see us try to push newer frameworks out as quickly and painlessly as possible to all platforms that exist in the market so people can take a true dependency on them.

8. Chuck says:

Peter, is it all right to embed the chart elsewhere and/or copy it?

9. Mike says:

I have 4.0 but I was reading and it should load, but it will not. I thought you seemed like the one to make it go.

10. Mike says:

11. Matthias says:

this overview is perfect! thanks.

How does this look like for Windows 8?