VS Fails to Launch after Vista Build-to-Build Upgrades

Currently, VS fails to launch after Vista build to build upgrades. A message box is displayed that says:
“The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect”
This is caused because the upgrade does not yet handle the migration of the C Runtime Components Side-by-side configuration files. There are two workarounds that I know of for this:

1. You can repair VS in its entirety
2. You can re-install the VC Runtime Components.

Just installing the VCRedist is by far faster than doing a full repair so it is the preferred workaround.

If someone knows where a public link to the VCRedist is, it would be helpful for to be able to point people to it from this post. Internally, feel free to contact me if you do not already know where to find it.

1. James B says:

please help – I am having this problem trying to run groove 2007 and sharepoint designer 2007 having upgraded from vista rc2 to rtm…

can you supply instructions on how to fix.

thanx

2. Petermarcu says:

I am not as familiar with the Office setup. Have you tried repairing office?

3. James Beck says:

its not office is a vista upgrade bug just as you describe here… I found VCRedist but it asks me where and want to put the files and that I don’t know – very egar to fix this issue othere wise looks like I need to rebuild pc ;( office 2007 outloo/excel/word/onenote all work – grooce and sharepoint designer does not…

4. Petermarcu says:

I found the external link for the 2005 VC Redist.

The solution I outline above involves repairing the C Runtime by launching this package. It shouldnt ask where to put any files. If it does, can you provide more info on what dialog comes up?

5. James Beck says:

ok installed. no longer getting side by side error BUT now am getting error that says the executable file has not assiation and to set one in the control panel – most odd – looks like this build to build bug might require a full rebuild afterall…?

6. Petermarcu says:

Very odd, no idea whats happening now. Is this happening with Groove?

7. James Beck says:

ack. it appears the side by side is still the error just vista is now throwing a different up front message – log says Activation context generation failed for "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice12SPDESIGN.EXE.Manifest". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50608.0" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

ugh…

have not tried groove yet

8. Gary says:

I too am having these problems.  It seems there are a lot of us.

I KNEW IT WAS TO EARLY FOR VISTA.

Anyway, I’m not a real techie and am interested in a walkthrough solution to this.  Thanks.

9. Ramin Mobasseri says:

I am getting the same error with Windows XP. Apparently, this error occurs whenever you install Frontpage 2003 (or any Office 2003 for taht matter), and then you upgrade to Office 2007. Somehow, the two do not like each other. I think the problem with Vista is yet another one!

Thanks!

10. Harshini says:

Are you guys still seeing these errors? I’m an installation consultant (for about 8 years) looking into some issues that seem closely related to what you are seeing. I will share with you what I can, if it helps but won’t go into a lot of detail unless this is still an issue.

11. Petermarcu says:

I havent seen it lately relating to Visual Studio.