As you all know that we announced Visual Studio 2011 and the next framework version v4.5 at BUILD conference last week.
Please note that we are using the combined forum here - http://forums.asp.net/1239.aspx/1?ASP+NET+4+5+Developer+Preview+and+Visual+Studio+11+Developer+Preview for answering all WCF v4.5 preview related questions. Please post all such questions there to get quick set of eyes.
WCF v4.5 feature list:
Here is a quick list of features/enhancements we are bringing in WCF v4.5, your feedback is welcome. I will be blogging about these in detail in the next few days.
Scalable modern communication stack
- Scalable, bi-directional communication over HTTP using WebSockets
- Interoperable public UDP multi-cast channel
- TCP support for high-density scenarios (partial trust)
- Support for Tasks and the new C# Async language features throughout WCF programming model
- Improved streaming support
- Compression support (gzip/deflate) for binary encoding
Continued commitment to simplicity
- Further config simplification, config intellisense, making WCF throttles/quotas smarter & work for you by default!
- Support for multiple authentication modes on a single WCF endpoint
- Better manageability via rich ETW & e2e tracing
- XSD-first type authoring experience
- Support for Internationalized Domain Name (IDN) WCF services.
Support for WCF client in Win8 immersive applications with basicHttp/netTcp/WebSocket* bindings.
[*WebSocket support for Win8 WCF Immersive apps is not present in the current preview release but we are working to add it in the final 4.5 release]
Interesting BUILD talks
1) Building Web APIs in Windows Azure with WCF to reach any device - https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUILD2011/SAC-798T , Glenn Block
2) Building real-time web apps with WebSockets using IIS, ASP.NET and WCF https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUILD2011/SAC-807T , Paul Batum, Stefan Schackow
3) Building data-driven HTML5 apps with WCF RIA Services https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUILD2011/TOOL-800T , Dinesh Kulkarni
4) Building real-time web apps with HTML5 WebSockets https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUILD2011/PLAT-373C , Ravi Rao
5) What's new in .NET Framework 4.5 https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUILD2011/TOOL-834T , Joshua Goodman
6) Building and running HPC apps in Windows Azure https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUILD2011/SAC-452T , Greg Burgess.
Thanks and please do tell us which features excite you the most!