In this article I’m going to talk about generating “Pivot Reports” in SharePoint using excel as a data source.
Let’s begin with the important step before we jump to talk about the “Pivot Report”
Point 1. You need to Install SharePoint J
Point 2. Install Office 2003 and Office Web Parts.
After you have installed the Office Web Parts you should be able to follow these steps:
1. Import data from an Excel spreadsheet to your SharePoint team Web site. Those who not aware of how to import data from excel to SharePoint list refer Microsoft Office Assistance site
2. Open ad Web Part page and add the Office PivotChart component from the Virtual Server Gallery
3. Click on the “Connect to an external data source” link in the web part.
4. Add a new data connection & select Data retrieval services
5. Select Windows SharePoint Services lists
6. Type in the URL to your site and then select the list you wish to retrieve data from.
7. Select the columns you with to retrieve
8. This next step is most important. It is selecting the location to store the data connection information. This must be a location that is accessible to users who will view the web part. A logical location for this on a SharePoint site is a document library.
9. Finish the wizard and View the result.
If you don’t see any data in pivot table then follow the above steps till you succeed……J