The first step in using PIX is to take a capture.
Learn about the available capture types:
- GPU captures
- Timing captures
- Function Summary captures
- Callgraph captures
- Memory Allocation captures
- File IO captures
- System Monitor
For best results, instrument your game using the WinPixEventRuntime.
Last but not least:
- Use remoting to run the user interface and capture/analysis on different machines.
- Use pixtool.exe to take and analyze GPU captures from the command line.
- Programmatically control when a GPU capture should be taken from inside your game code.
- Debug TDR problems (aka GPU hang / device removal).
- Understand GPU memory usage, heap residency and paging.
- Configure which GPU PIX should use on hybrid graphics systems.
- Learn how to manage PIX window arrangement.
- Learn how to handle shader debug information in a way that works well with PIX on Windows.