Photo Gallery beta cheat sheet

We’ve packed a lot into the new beta version of Windows Live Photo Gallery.  At the same time we’ve heard users ask, “What’s new in Photo Gallery?”. Here’s a quick clip-and-save list of the top features to check out.  In the coming weeks we’ll be going into more detail about everything on this list. Stay tuned.

An updated look.  Photo Gallery has a new user interface design that puts the emphasis on you and your content.   We’ve minimized the amount of space that controls take up in order to give more space and focus to your photos and videos. Want even more room? Collapse the navigation tree (hint: pane on the left) and close the info pane (hint: pane on the right) for a wall-to-wall view of your collection:

image

Just the right amount of Info.  Try out the new Info pane (hint: click the Info button to turn on or off) for a quick look at the people and descriptive tags you’ve assigned to your photos.  Based on popular requests, we’ve also bubbled up more metadata about your photos and videos. Plus, you can dial in how much metadata you want to see by dragging the divider up and down. You control what you want to see.

People tags!  Photo Gallery automatically detects faces in your photos to make it easy to tag.  And with our people tagging user interface you can quickly choose folks from your Messenger and Mail contact lists. Open up a photo and click “Add people tags” to get started.  And to appeal to the narcissist is all of us, there’s a single click “That’s Me” link to identify yourself in photos.

Keep in touch.  Browse your photos by person using the People navigation area. When you’re browsing by person, click on someone’s name and look at the new people banner (hint: along the top) to see the latest photos they have shared online at Windows Live, and download the ones you like – right from within Photo Gallery.

image

Make your photos look great.  Photo Gallery provides the tools you need to get it right and add a personal touch, with little effort. For example, if you’re like me, all your photos come out a little crooked.  Just click on Straighten photo, and Photo Gallery will automatically straighten it, or use the slider to tweak it yourself to add a neat effect.  While we all love color, the new Black and White effects will give an artistic touch to your photos.

image

Publish wherever you want.  We think that Photo Gallery is so good that users will want you to use it every time to share your photos, no matter what online service you use.  Our new SDK will let developers create plug-ins for users that, when installed, will appear right on the Publish menu.  Check out the current list of available plug-ins.

From photos to movies.  Now going from your pictures to a published video on the web is just a couple of clicks away. Choose photos and video clips from your collection, and click Make a Movie to put together a great looking movie.

Limit the information about each file when you share.  The new Publish options let you control what file metadata is included when you share your photos online.

Support for Photosynth, Image Composite Editor, and other Extras.  There’s always room for more!  The new Extras menu is the place to look for apps and services that extend the Photo Gallery experience.   Photosynth is the first experience that’s integrated – just install it to start making your own synths from Photo Gallery.  Want creative control over the image stitching process? Try out the brand new Image Composite Editor. Both of these new programs are just a click away on the Photo Gallery’s Extras menu when installed.

And there are a few more gems hidden in there as well.  I hope you’ll give us a spin – and tell us what you think!

— Rodger Benson (Lead Program Manager)

1. dan.carter says:

Gallery Team,

I was most impressed with the original Live Gallery, and I’d love to try the new Gallery, but after upgrading to the new beta, I can’t open images, not even JPG. I receive "an error is preventing the photo or video from being displayed". Videos seem to play fine.

I’ve reinstalled, but still no joy. Is there a way to reinstall the original Live Gallery so I can use a working version?

2. consumer4beta@hotmail.com says:

Dear Digital Memories Experience team,

1. Please see http://rapidshare.com/files/147947728/WLPG_Bug.JPG.html for a bug I want to report but I fear I am not able to convey in words. The red box marked is the area where clicking with the mouse does nothing in WLPG whereas in all other Vista apps, it correctly closes the app. Sounds like a Fitt’s law problem. Please please fix it.

2. Please put back the icons. Using WLPG is now more confusing, with icons it was much easier. I don’t like the streamlined/cleaned up/oversimplified look.

3. Swiiney says:

Hi,

I really like your new photo Gallery. But there is still (at least) one thing that prevents me from using it: the name given to files when you resize a picture.

I use the gallery to organize pictures and chose the ones I publish on my web sites. Before publishing I resize the pictures. After that I use an interface to upload the resized pictures to the site.

My problem is that I want to keed the same filenames on the website and on the hard drive. Currently it’s impossible to do, except by renaming by hand (or using an extra tool) the files created by the resize function of photogallery.

I understand it is needed when resizing in the same folder as originals, but an option to keep original filenames would be great whan saving in a different folder.

Stephane

4. consumer4beta@hotmail.com says:

Microsoft keeps the themed transition slideshow features exclusive to Vista Premium editions under one pretext or the other while Google’s Picasa 3 which uses the awesome OpenGL-powered Skia graphics library easily manages to give XP users all sorts of beautiful transitioning slideshows.

5. consumer4beta@hotmail.com says:

Btw the bug I reported above is only applicable to WLPG on XP. On Vista, the close button (Red X) appears correctly in the extreme right corner. Only on XP, it appears to a little left breaking Fitt’s law.

6. If you want to give us more space, please add a feature that allows users to specify the margin (space) between photos. There is an awful lot of whitespace that is lost, I wish I could go from 0 to x amount of whitespace. Don’t like the clean toolbar, would be much nicer if it was a ribbon-style menu, or at least some visual indication on what the commands does. "File" and "Fix" is very similar and I’ve already hit the wrong option many times.

7. Brothernod says:

I was very excited about the facial recognition and had hoped it would auto tag and due to the new tie-ins with facebook would use that as a source for people’s faces.

But I was dreaming :)

Either way it’s cool to see a step towards that, but I don’t like the fact that "That’s Me!!1" tags it with your live handle rather than your full name, and there is no where to change it.

Are the Live beta’s on connect, or is there a feedback site? I’d really like to report this in some official manner and any bugs I stumble upon as I’d like to use the finished wave 3 Live Photo Gallery as my main photo organizational tool.

Thank you.

8. nickknyc says:

Please tell us where to report bugs – I have an issue that is crashing the beta – seems to be caused by the Nikon RAW formats (I have the latest version of the NEF support)

9. Mike Williams says:

I’m loving the ICE tool, and I’m redoing many of my holiday panoramas with it.

My main gripes are that

1. WLPG is not integrated with Explorer. It takes far too long to get to a folder view

2. I wish the ICE tool’s naming algorithm included the names of all the files I used to make up a composite. It might also help to list them within the ICE UI somewhere, especially as there are times ICE ignores a subset of selected files as it believes they don’t form a contiguous set.

3. I wish that WLPG’s "Select without subfolders" was a sticky setting. It took me a little while to discover it as it doesn’t appear to have any regular file menu or keyboard activation.

10. cr8tv says:

Downloaded yesterday and installed very smoothly.  I’m really impressed.  Very clean, quick interface.  Much smother to use than Picassa.  Three things I can think of would be very useful:

1.  When selecting (check boxing) photos from the galler, it would be really useful to see which photos you had selected.  A window/pane/popup – anything that showed the selection fo photos together so that it’s easier to select photos from different folders so that you can print them in  a batch.  Something that worked a little like the "drop box" in Picasa – either that or a window that resembled the gallery view that only displayed selected photos and would allow you to remove them from the selection without having to navigate back to the photo’s folder of origin.

2.  Batch processing ina basic form to selections – so you could select 20 photos, make them sepia (a much needed feature now thanfully included) and print them in a single process. Oh and being being able to revert such a selection  to original would be good.  Either that or such a batch selection process would allow temporary publishing effects (like b/w/sepia) to be applied and treat local printing as an act of publication.

3.  Modify the way changes are made – I know that at the moment, changes are applied to a copy and the original is moved to a store within the user’s profile directory.  This is "ok" for a single user accessing a single library.  However, for multiple users accessing a single library, changing a photo to (for instance) cropped and sepia will only allow that user to revert to original.  To all other uses this will appear to be the original file.  Why not include a hidden "originals" folder within the manipulated image folder that is  stored there.  That way all users could "revert to original" when viewing a file.  It would also make backing up files automatically slightly cleaner.  I think this must be how picassa does it.

Thanks for a great evolving app.

Sem

11. cr8tv says:

Thanks for a great evolving app.

Sem

12. cr8tv says:

Sorry about double post – the page froze and stuck for a few minutes on submission.

As a post script – I just found out (after playing with the app right now) that you still can’t select photos across folders – this is incredible??!!  Will this be fixed for the release because I can’t fathom why not – unless Photogallery is simply a souped up Windows Explorer view.

Sorry guys – crazy omissions like that (and a self contained backup set generator for those who don’t use windows backup) means Picasa is still a better bet – despite being slower and having a comparitively poor interface.

sem.

13. rmercovich says:

"Based on popular requests, we’ve also bubbled up more metadata about your photos and videos. Plus, you can dial in how much metadata you want to see by dragging the divider up and down. You control what you want to see."

How do you do this exactly?  I see no divider to drag.  Is there a way to see some of the EXIF meta data?

14. Flug says:

This seems to be a nice one. I’ve just expected a better 3d look like those adobe photowalls.

15. pquirk says:

I have Microsoft Pro Photo Tools installed and it shows up in the Extras menu. However, I get the errror "Use Pro Photo Tools was unable to start properly" when I launch it from WLPG.

16. pquirk says:

ICE is nicer and smarter than any other stitching tool I have used!