Photo Gallery is now on Microsoft Update

This is a special shout-out to our BETA program participants!

At our last estimate, the Windows Live Photo Gallery BETA was installed by nearly 3 million users worldwide. Our BETA testers give us feedback, report bugs, and even yell at us when we make stupid design decisions – all of which helps us delivery high-quality products. Thank you to you all — our BETA testers rock!

We recently deployed Windows Live Photo Gallery 2008 via Microsoft Update – If you have Microsoft Update enabled on your PC and had the BETA installed, then your BETA build should have been upgraded to the final release build (version 1308.1023).  Go check it out! If it wasn’t auto-upgraded, you can either launch Microsoft Update and do a scan for new updates, or go back to photogallery.live.com  and manually upgrade to the final release build.

– Kristen Miller (Program Manager)

1. bthoem says:

How will WLPG be updated? Does it check for updates and automatically install them, or is it a manual process via Windows Update (XP)?

When will the next release/ update of WLPG be available? Any ongoing beta-programmes?

Bjørn Tore

2. dcdomain says:

Hello Kristen,

Been looking around everywhere for an answer to my question and hopefully it may be a feature included in Windows Live Photo Gallery 2008.

I’m trying to use the Print Pictures option to print out 800+ photos, 9 to a sheet (wallet). I would also like the include the file names with the photos, there doesn’t seem to be an option for that. Am I missing something here? Would be nice to print out Proof Sheets via Vista.

Thanks for the great work. Vista’s photo management has been one of the few positives of the operating system. I’m a life long MS fan, but working off an XP system and a Vista system is like night and day… there’s a lot of truth behind why everyone is going back to XP.

Regards,

Darren

3. dcdomain says:

As a follow up to the comment above, I see that their is an option to print a ‘real’ contact sheet with 35 photos per sheet along with the file names.

Any chance of the print file name functionality being extended to the other print options?

Thanks!

4. KristenMillerMS says:

Hi Bjørn!

Right now, Windows Live Photo Gallery updates are deployed using Microsoft Update.

Microsoft Update can be configured in a variety of ways– Your options include “Install updates automatically (recommended)” and “Check for updates, but let me choose whether to install them.”

To check your current settings, choose “Start” |  “All Programs” | “Windows Update” – The dialog that launches will tell you if you have Automatic Updates enabled, and give you a place to configure the install time. You control the settings —  You can make it as automatic as you prefer!

When will the next update be available? Good Question!  I can tell you that we don’t have an update on the books during the 2007 Christmas holidays. Development is underway for the next version of the product — When we’re ready for a BETA, we’ll post back and let you know how you can get involved!

Thanks!

5. david.bosse says:

Hi,

It seems that some comments haven’t been taken into consideration (tbp’s feedback, Friday, October 19, 2007 4:47 PM). I’m still not able to remove the default folders "Pictures" and "Videos" from the WLPG Nav Tree.

Thanks!

6. las6 says:

that was bleeping nice of you.

Instead of being perfectly capable of handling my whole image library, the "new and improved WLPG" cannot open ANY of my regular jpegs (Canon 400D) – the app gets all wacky (doesn’t refresh graphics, I need to alter the size of the window to see something) and then complains how my images are corrupted.  Sure.

Even the bloody sample images don’t work with it. I can browse fine but whenever I open an image it throws me that black window. If I click "back to gallery" I get a white window and I need to resize it to get the normal view back.

Thank God you didn’t replace the old WPG with this.

But in case you know how to fix this, then let me know.

lauri_suopera@msn.com