Canon RAW Codec for Vista release

Canon has released their RAW codec for Windows Vista.  To download it:

• Visit http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=DownloadIndexAct

• Category = “EOS (SLR) Camera Systems”, Product Type = “Digital EOS Cameras” and then choose your camera model from the third dropdown

• Click Go

• Click the “Drivers / Software” link at the top of the page

• Choose the Canon RAW Codec  1.0

• Download and run the executable

The codec will support .CR2 RAW files, but not .CRW files.  It includes support for the following cameras:

• EOS-1Ds Mark II

• EOS Kiss Digital X

• EOS 350D DIGITAL

• EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT

• EOS Kiss Digital N

– pixblog

1. consumer4beta@hotmail.com says:

Earlier I’d read somewhere that Photo Gallery can export to any image format. Is this true? I didn’t find any export capabilities. Also, can you upload photos to online photo sharing sites?

2. stekar says:

Installed it two days ago and seems to work great.

I now have all of the RAW Codec installed from Oly to Nikon and Canon.

Question: I thought that this new RAW file approach built-into Vista would allow applications other than Photo Gallery to render such file formats. However, Picasa does not: purple color layer thumbnails.

3. Elja Trum says:

It’s also worth noting this codec is only available for the 32 bits version of Vista. On my Vista 64 bits it won’t install. 🙁

Is there any information available on how long the 64 bits users will have to wait? No 64 bits and no CRW files; a disappointing release from Canon..

Elja

4. Since I have been running Vista for a while now I never made much use of it’s Gallery as it was unable

5. bdj6020 says:

Any chance on actually getting support for .crw files?

6. Windows Vista has a redesigned approach to handiling RAW image files produced by digital cameras. Recently,…

7. Photography says:

I’ve download codec for 400D but it doesn’t work.

Any sugesstion?

8. David Blake says:

We are working on a codec for CR2 on Vista x64.

9. sony-alpha says:

Thank you very much. this site has provided me with an understanding of Canon RAW Codec for Vista release

, It’s just what I was looking for!