Get Paid to Shoot Mobile Photosynths

You may have seen the stories today about Microsoft’s relationship with Gigwalk – a company that organizes thousands of people to do small local tasks using their mobile phones. The Photosynth App is at the heart of this relationship, because the tasks we are sponsoring involve shooting panoramas of tens of thousands of local businesses in 8 US cities.

If you use an iPhone (3GS or 4), and live in Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York City, Chicago, Boston, Miami, Seattle, or Philadelphia, you can earn $4-$7 per business using the Photosynth App, and you can probably do at least 4 businesses per hour once you’ve practiced a little. That’s pretty good money for doing something as fun as shooting Photosynths.

Want to see the results of some of the early “Gigwalkers”?  Check out GigwalkMike – who has done more than 30 businesses in just a few days. Most of his gigs were at a mall, but there are also downtown and suburban ones still available in each of the above cities.

How to Get your Gig On
Want to get into the action? Download the Gigwalk iPhone App from the App Store, then get yourself an account and accumulate a little “Streetcred” (their measure of experience) by doing some simple tasks. Once you’ve accumulated 20 Streetcreds you’ll be able to claim one of the Photosynth gigs. They won’t be hard to find – there are thousands of them in each of these cities.

Once you’ve given it a try, tell us what you think about it. You can leave a comment here, or on the discussion thread I’ve started about Gigwalk.

Cheers, David.

David Gedye on behalf of the Photosynth team

1. Clint says:

this looks like it will become a great service and add on to bing maps, I would like to know if this is likely to be extened outside of the US, Australia would be great, also whe can we expect a Photosynth app for WP7

2. synthy says:

Thanks Clint. We haven't made a decision yet about sponsoring Photosynths in other countries. We'll see how successful this first US project is before making that decision.

Re Windows Phone 7: As you may have read, our smooth capture experience is possible on "Mango", but wasn't possible on the first version of Windows Phone 7. Development of our WP7 Mango App is well along, and we will ship it soon after Mango ships this autumn.

David.

3. Kelly says:

I live in Canada and I've been using your software and I think its great. Also I love the concept of Gigwalk and would also like to be a part of it if I had a chance. I've posted a couple initial Photosynths- you should have a look!

4. mike says:

what about us wp7 owners?

5. synthy says:

As I said above, WP7 Photosynth will ship in the fall. We'll make sure that WP7 users can participate in whatever sponsorship/incentive programs we work on after this initial one concludes.

6. Stoney says:

Great idea.  Similar method of recruitment as  Open street maps walking papers.   Surprised you guys are not blurring faces.  If the photos are used in conjuction with advertising and and people are identifiable.  Are Most states laws are based on California and New York?  Linking this area with local search and advertising is a way to make yourself relevant to the business end in Redmond.

7. I was doing this type of thing in my town, how can we bring this to our smaller towns? Also I have a WM7 phone why no app for it?