Synthing tips: How to synth a room

Synthing tips: How to synth a room

Maybe you want to show off your newly-remodeled downstairs. Or you want to let your friends see how you’ve decorated your room. Or you want to remember the amazing luxury condo you went through. Photosynth can help. Here are some tips so you’ll get the best synth of an interior space:

1. Start by standing in the center of the room and shooting a panorama—turn slightly and take pictures 360-degrees all around you. Make sure you have lots of overlap between pictures—50% works really well. Make sure you use a tripod and that your camera stays level throughout the panorama—otherwise it won’t synth very well. Start with your camera zoomed out as far as you can for the widest possible shots—then do it again with the camera zoomed in progressively closer , so for each position you’ve got a wide shot, medium shot and close-up.

Shoot a panorama from the center of the room

Shoot a panorama from the center of the room

2. Next, stand in each of the room’s corners and shoot the rest of the room, again with lots of overlap between shots, first wide, then closer. Then stand in the center of each wall and do the same thing.

Shoot from the corners of the room

Shoot from the corners, then from the center of each wall

3. Don’t forget the ‘rule of 3’: each part of your scene should appear in at least three different photos.

1. Atomusk says:

Hi,

I love photosynth but I have 2 suggestions :

– Enable the use of photo "Stitched" to generate a 3D View (see HD View http://research.microsoft.com/ivm/hdview.htm that can use info stored in panorama stitched with live photo gallery for instance) and why not stitching photo in the detection process that create a "full 3D panorama" when possible

– Enable the user to "tune" the detection.

I understand that the goal is that the process demand no human action but with my Synth having 4 differents view of the Eiffel tower ( http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=de63bb83-21bc-4d1a-8a44-3259efdbfc7c ) Photosynth was not able to "detect" that the Eiffel tower was "THE" thing to sync.

If I was able to select THE "important" photo, I would have been able to tell photosynth that the Eiffel tower was the important shape to sync.

Also, I guess it is in developpement (since you can locate on live map your synth), but please enable the search by live map.

Regards

2. Developer says:

Hi photosynth guys!

I love your masterpiece and would like to create some community site for photosynthers, I already started adding virtual earth to photosynths and today found that you have already added this feature 🙂

Can I create domain having photosynth name and can I use your photosynth data from your site? Do you have any issues about copyright?

Would be ver grateful for you answers!

Regards,

Andrius

3. Pork Chop says:

Thanks for the article, it is very well written.  However, the three example interior photosynths you linked to at the beginning of the article don’t seem to follow the guide that you wrote… …could you provide a link to a "textbook" quality photosynth showing the result of what one would look like if the guide is followed correctly?

4. Briegel says:

Deare Staff

Thanks for this great site and the hints in this postings.

But, my english ist very bad and so i hope it gives an update in other language for "making a synth".  I have some Friends in germany and there  is just as me. And i thing there are more Peopels in Frensh, Italian, or Spain (will say in Europe) there having the same problems!

And the last question, how can i delite a synth (my own sinth)?

I hope you hav some answer for me.

cy

Briegel

5. Rekit says:

Briegel,

"And the last question, how can i delite a synth (my own sinth)?"

go to -> Briegel’s synths, at the top right of the page @ http://photosynth.net/ once you have logged in

"In particular the rights assignment in the bottom of the upload screen make me problems. Wen i wish that all the People con do anything with me Pictures was the want, what right assignement must i select? Or what must i do that other Peoples can add there own Pictures in my sinth?"

‘Public domain’ option means everyone has free rights to the images

6. Rekit says:

I think the application should allow users to manually stitch images.

I have tried to create a 360deg of my back yard. Which I have done. I have done so, from the centre of the yard, all four corners, and the 4 sides of the yards.

I have then tried to put some focus points where users can focus in or close ups, of certain objects, like flowers, radios, potbelly, and objects on a table. To some degree it has worked, but htne some of the photos it has cast to the side not automatically seeing the importance. If users could guide the program on such files it would make the program alot more ideal.

anyways, to this point, it is a briliant idea that has been implimented very well. I will be keeping my eyes on this as you move forward. Keep it up