Photosynth: Day 1 Recap

Time for a quick update

We have been overwhelmed (in both good and bad ways) over the past 24 hours with the amount of interest Photosynth has attracted and the amount of creativity that many of you are demonstrating with your synths.  We’ve been working very hard to meet your expectations and learning and growing along the way.  So, how has the first day gone, you ask?  Well, as of 1AM (Pacific), more than 7727 synths have been created containing 286,689 images.  Synths are coming in from around the world and many are demonstrating amazing new uses of Photosynth as a creative and visual medium.  At the same time, we are seeing synthy scores rise quickly, but if you have any questions about how to get the best results, please do make sure to check out our Guide, the How to Synth video, or visit our help site and post your questions.  We’ve also seen some great questions and suggestions coming in on the support and help site and many of you offering advice and solutions to other members of the community.  This first day has certainly been an exciting one!

1. Thumbs up, guys! Great work, I’ve been following it since beta.

I presume that Photosynth may get some advantage of a TinEye, an image search engine based on some nice algorythms. Here’s an example of a Venice 🙂 panorama search:

Allright, it’s not "panorama" exactly but search results differ just enough to build a "synthy" model targeting single angle shot.

Maksim Sestic

2. jeff schneider says:

feature requests (in order):

1. ability to easily edit an existing scene

2. ability to give your AI engine hints on associating pics

3. agree with others… this should be an extensible platform not an end-user app.

3. PhotoBugger says:

Well, I’m underwhelmed. I’ve uploaded two composite photo panorama, each with 9-11 photos. There is 60% overlap so that each pixel should have 2-3 photos. Each time, the Photosynth broke the panoramas into 3-4 individual panels of 2-4 photos each. I also notied that even for some, it ordered them backwards.

There must be a way to manually arrange the photos so as to give the software a chance. Never mind the photos are arranged in order DSC-0100, 101, 102, etc.

FYI: Canon’s PhotoStitch is 10000% better and a lot quicker.

4. Geoff Coupe says:

I noticed that you have an "embed" button on Synths. However, this seems to generate JavaScript. That means that I can’t embed a Synth into a Windows Live Spaces blog entry, since JavaScript gets stripped out… A case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing?

5. acelafella says:

I loaded 56 images to be "synthed" 12 hours ago.  Status bar still reads "extracting image features," with the edge of the bar advancing from over the "x" to the "t" in the past hour.

6. acelafella says:

I should have mentioned…am using Verizon DSL as my connection. Any idea what’s taking so long?

7. acelafella says:

8. instaman2 says:

To Photobugger:  For the broken panaroma’s using any kind of stitching software, I noticed adding the finished photo helps in putting the "synth" together.

9. Gerhard56 says:

just found out its soooo hard to come inside. I always get the message, that the authentication server dindnt working???

I want to try only one synth of a vintage computer module, which will be presented at, my upcoming virtual museum for vintage technology, uptil now reachable only at

But in 2 weeks or so it will be online and 3D views of the exponates will be greate.

Is there some problem with photosynth??

I just start the program on my laptop and as I was ask to sign in (I am still a valid member of MSDN), I get the strange error message.

Thanks for helping