Keyboard shortcuts

You can navigate through a synth by using the on-screen navigation that you see in the upper right hand corner of a synth, or by clicking on the arrows on the screen. But there are other keyboard shortcuts you can use to get through a synth that can give you a different perspective.

The + (plus) and – (minus) keys will zoom in or out around the center of the window.

The ← and → keys will move you left or right to a neighboring photo, while u or j will move you up or down.

You can use the spacebar to go to the next photo in the tour, or Shift-spacebar to go to the previous photo.  It can also be pretty revealing to go through the photos in alphabetical order by filename–which is usually the order in which the photos were shot.  Use the period (.) to go to the next photo in alphabetical order, and the comma (,) to go to the previous one.

Small z will go to the last image you were on, much like using the back button in a Web browser, while capital Z is like using the forward button.

Want to see a synth the way the computer sees it?  Hold down the control key to hide the photos and see the point cloud.  If you drag a halo (that circle in the center of the screen) while holding down the control key, you’ll be able to spin all around a point cloud (note: you may not see the halo on every synth).  The P key lets you toggle among three modes: point cloud, images, or both.  Check out the point cloud on this flower or on National Geographic’s synth of the Sphinx.  It works better when you zoom out a bit.  Try it.

The tilde (~) lets you toggle between the 2-D and 3-D views of a synth.  When you’re in the 2-D view, zoom in really close with the scroll wheel on your mouse (or with the + key, right?).  And f lets you toggle into full-screen mode.

If you forget, the full list of keyboard shortcuts is at the end of our Photosynth photography guide.

1. jackH says:

I tried to find "a halo (that circle in the center of the screen) " in the flower picture (or any other) while pressing CTRL and P several times (though preferable not at the same time).

I can’t make out that circle.

Should I see it in any synth?

2. Donald says:

Lovely piece of technology. I was wondering something about the embed code. Is there a way to make the embed code start out in grid view?

3. Jeff Parker says:

Just curiously, does anyone see anything, I tried on desktops and laptops here at work, and I can make out shapes of things like the Tajma Hall and the US capital I can tell thats what they are but they are all made up of little tiny dots? There are gray squares that show up or not really squares, like trapezoids and stuff in different places where I move my mouse but I am not really seeing anything. The only thing I can thing of is at work we are behind a proxy server. This doesn’t work through a proxy server? If so how do you set it or where do you go to configure it to put the proxy info in?

4. Vincent says:

I think it’s a really nice thing you guys just did, though my trial is a disaster 🙂

I believe i didn’t do it right… anyway the thing is i’d love to delete it.

It’s just a useless trial that can interest no one and only pollute the site compared to the work of some great photographers.

How can I do?

Why can’t the users delete their synth?

5. scra says:

Well, am I the only one clueless what this software is for ?  It does not reconstruct 3D… just shows a sequence of photos, not a scent of  3D feeling. Good idea guys, though. Good luck !

6. vincent says:

Forget my previous comment, The profile wasn’t working the first time.

7. I know I'd like you better if we synth'd together says:

Would be really nice if Photosynth were server side and used Ajax, so it would be available to OS X (without windows emulation), Linux, etc.

8. sef nice says:

Is there anyway i could remove the the photos that i have up loaded?

9. Bruno says:

"Would be really nice if Photosynth were server side and used Ajax…"

oh God, please no…

10. I have been reading alot of Casey Fronczek lately.  Is anyone else as interested in this stuff as I am?