Photosynth: Yikes!

We have been abolsutely overwhlemed by demand, and have turned Photosynth.com into a special static/read-only mode for the moment.  The team is hard at work adding capacity and getting the full site back online.  We’ve been under incredible demand since we released just over 12 hours ago. With everyone waking up around the world traffic has been on a steady ramp up since that release and has far exceeded even our most optimistic expectations.

Getting ready for the launch we did massive amounts of performance testing, built capacity model after capacity model, and yet with all of that, you threw so much traffic our way that we need to add more capacity.  We are adding that extra horsepower right now and should be back up shortly.

Thank you for the incredible reception!

If you can’t get enough synths, you can still view a few of the best ones on our temporary static page (it’s marginally more useful than a ‘lolcatz’ error page, but we still want you to see the experience).  Just hit photosynth.net and refresh the page see a dozen or so great examples.

Alternatively, while we’re busy restoring the full service, we hope you will check out our “How to Synth” video, grab a camera, head outside and start taking pictures for the next incredible synth.

UPDATE 1:50PM Pacific:  Thanks for the supportive comments, everyone.  We are nearly there and will be back up shortly.

UPDATE: 3:40PM Pacific: Photosynth.com is back online.  New synths are still turned off, but we will turn them back on shortly.

1. Maxi says:

yeah! – cool links spread fast 😀 Good luck on getting it up again – I just shot over 100 pics of the local cathedral here in Freiburg/Germany waiting to get added ;-D

2. Yert says:

I hate to be so negative so soon after the PhotoSynth Team just launched one of the best uses of technology to see the light of day this year… but I have a few suggestions. I’m making a post about it, so a quick check to the link I provided might provide more suggestions…

But for now, I have two suggestions to add:

1. Make the site available in Silverlight. (I’ve seen people whine about it only being for Windows; Silverlight is on the Mac, and in the works for Linux, and once you make the move to Silverlight, folks will only have themselves to blame for lack of availability.)

2. More information on how other programs can use the Point-Cloud would be invaluable.

3. Sascha says:

Wow – Photosynth was super-slashdotted.  Can’t wait to try it out, guess I’ll have to wait a little longer.

4. synthy says:

@Yert

Thanks for the suggestions.  We are definitely looking at how we can make more viewer types available on more platforms.  It is one of our top priorities, along with privacy settings on your synths.

Right now, the point cloud is pretty obscured within our file format, you’re right.  But, the JSON format we use for photos and position information is very hackbable–not exactly self documenting, but if you know your way around 3D stuff.  It’s not supported in any way, but if you want to hack around and you’ve got the skilz, I think you’ll see we’ve built pretty openly (mainly to support the first point, more viewers eventually).

5. Gary T says:

Good luck you guys!! Be sure to add this to the live labs site, so people don’t freak out that the site isn’t working. For a second there I thought something was wrong with my browser, or I needed to download a plug in.

6. MrGroove says:

Great Service!  Keep up the good work.

7. Kobus says:

Photosynth.net has also died:

Server Error

The following error occurred:

[code=SERVER_RESPONSE_RESET] The server response could not be read because of an error. Contact your system administrator.

Please contact the administrator.

NOT a good showing from Microsoft, to be sure.

I think they will have to put their ambitious cloud computing plans on ice for a while.

8. Delirium says:

What about offline app with same functionality?

9. Bruce says:

I’m glad I took a shot at Photosynth first thing this morning. I at least got to try a couple of weaves before the overload. Of course, I’ve just returned from a skyline shoot of Washington DC and down it goes. I’ll await the re-birth. Fun stuff.

10. This service would be grat with a wiki-type option – to allow communities to create syths of cities or landmarks.

11. 2Smug says:

Maybe the delay is caused because they need more CALs for windows server 2008.

Need to contact your Microsoft rep?

12. /dev/cpu says:

U guys should have used Amazon’s web services platform  to scale. 😉

13. Rob says:

this is so Microsoft

site not working

14. james3mg says:

"

"

So maybe I CAN develop something to transfer my point cloud into AutoCAD?  yummy…

15. synthy says:

Thanks for the supportive comments, everyone.  We are nearly there and will be back up shortly.

@ /dev/cpu

Intresting tidbit for you:  We did experiment with using Amazon’s AWS platform for this Photosynth early on (Live Labs is an incubation group after all).  We actually found that it wouldn’t quite meet our needs–but we have some unusual needs for this service.  We use the Limelite CDN though.

16. Daniel says:

Cool, I can’t wait to try this out, I’ve looked at the demos many times in the past.

17. Nick Schmidt says:

So I hear that you can’t do much with this if you have a Mac?

Is this true?

18. TimCo says:

This is awesome…. Now if you guys or any one else can strip that point cloud data out and create 3D geometry for visual effects, gaming, etc. That would be AWESOME…. that right in CAPITALS.

19. Mike says:

Been watching this since I first heard about it a couple months ago (along with Seadragon).

Couple thoughts and questions:

1)  Why not make it a downloadable app instead of online only?

2)  Photomodeling has been around for a few years (turning photos into 3D geometry).  But it’s still somewhat labor intensive (picking each point in each photo manually), and it’s not something you are going to get fine detail out of.    There are laser scanners, but still are a little pricey and the lower the price the smaller the volume you are able to scan.   Not to mention that often there is still a lot of cleanup of the model to get it to something that is actually usuable after the scan (often the scan is TOO dense for what most 3D artist need, industrial designers may be the exception).   After seeing and reading about photosynth, I am still not exactly sure what the actual end result is of creating a photosynth?   It doesn’t appear that it’s exactly 3D geometry.. but more like overlapping photos that are porportionally and spacially aware of each other (location, rotation, size, etc.).   However, in the sample video.. it does show something that appears to look like a 3D point cloud data.      So my question is.. how close is photosyth to actually being able to automatically create 3D texture mapped geometry that the likes of 3D max, Maya, modo, blender, XSI, ect. could use?  Is that even in the realm of possiblity?

Thanks,

Mike

20. Fufu Fang says:

I am afraid Photosynth is going to be overwhelmed for a long time… It is such an amazing tool. I tried the preview before. I think people are just going to overwhelm it again.

21. Architecturegeek says:

Interesting Stuff guys.

Any possibility that users will be able to upload photos to existing synths to fill them out more?

(for example: Take the one of downtown seattle, would it ever be possible to link another 100 of my own pictures to that one and then another person adds his/her images and so on and so forth to create a more fully realized environment.)

It seems like that is where the full potential of this application is, in effectively generating high res environments of real world locations, imagine if all the synths could talk to one another and you could literally explore the globe on your computer, that’d blow Google earth out of the water.

Just a thought

22. Sam says:

A service that requires a utility to be installed is not really an online service, the only online thing about it is that you can access it through a browser, you guys are so desperate to come near Google you even try to copy their sense of humor and "coolness", and guess what, you are boring.

Just give it up as usual to your sales team to pursue Microsoft’s mission of defending its legacy.

23. Adam says:

Heh.. static/read-only photosynth runs on Apache/2.0.54 (Debian GNU/Linux), even MS does not trust their own web server 😀

24. AppleAngel says:

What the heck? It typical of MSFT to deploy a product and then have it fully crap out.

Oh and Sienfeld for your new face? Flashback 1980s.

25. Το photosynth είναι εδώ. Το ακούγαμε για αρκετούς μήνες και βλέπαμε τα demos αλλά επι τέλους άνοιξε τις

26. OfNoConsequence says:

Wow –> by AppleAngel

That pretty much tells the tale of the attitude behind your post.

Microsoft was overhwelmed by the response to this.  They knew it was cool tech, just never realized how well it would be recieved.  Shades of the iPhone and MobleMe 3G debocle!

Except that in this case, PhotoSynth isn’t something people rely upon for every day communication!

Could Microsoft have done it better and anticpated the demand a bit more?  Sure, but hey, at least people aren’t loosing money because their phone doesn’t work!

27. Zymer says:

Sure would be keen if the app allowed me to save my synth project before telling me the server was unavailable and deleting it.

28. QA nerd says:

I question the claim that you guys did performance testing prior to release.  Any half-decent QA guy would have pushed the system till it broke, at which point someone would have figured out that you need a graceful way of handling overload conditions.

Unless maybe you did properly test the system, did in fact already know that it would crash out like this, but just couldn’t convince an upstream manager to approve decent funding.

You’d think if anyone had enough money to do a decent job, it’d be you guys.

29. bob e says:

Seems like it would be great in the real estate field for creating virtual tours for home sales.  Am uploading my first synth now!

30. Yorick says:

The App works great!

To bad you can’t delete you uploaded test synths :-(

And it would be nice to add/merge synths

31. Timmo says:

Great work guys. Too bad you have so many people that don’t understand the concept of "If you don’t have anything nice to say…then noone cares to hear from you"

32. abeen says:

wow, can’t wait to try photosynth.

No worries. Server break downs happens for every MNC,

abeen

33. jonathan says:

to yorick –

click your name at the top of the page and you’ll go to a page where you can delete your synths.

34. If you search Google for "Demo of the year" have you seen what comes up? And you didn’t think this would be popular? Hmmmm. If I were in your shoes I would have done an invite system like Gmail did. That would have let you control how many people could have tried it every day.

35. Congrats on getting the site back up!

36. Mike says:

Wow… lot of bitter people ranting about something that is free.   Well.. I am sure MS will give you your money back.

I was able to view some photosynths last night, but not able to create one (they had locked it out).

I would still ask, why not make a stand alone app of it that people can do offline?

But anyway.. my review of it so far, is that photosynth in it’s current state is pretty cool to play around with, but I don’t know exactly how this is going to pan out to something that most people will use (beyond just playing with it).

Some people already talked about virtual photosynths of houses for sale.   Well.. you’ve already been able to create virtual tours of houses for a few years now.  Ever heard of quicktime VR?   I think that is more intuitive, looks better, easier to navigate, etc.   Although on Photosynths side, Quicktime VR takes a little more time to set up and create one (and you can’t do it for free).. Quicktime VR  takes more than just saturating your subject with tons of photos.

But I’m not really crazy about the actual end result of what a "photosynth" is.   The actual view and navigation of a "photosynth" just seems a little clunky and almost unfinished.   I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to make this comparison to Quicktime VR, in that once people have played around with it, it might find a few nitch uses.. but may not become that wide spread, just like quicktime VR… which is REALLY cool.. but for whatever reason you just don’t really see it THAT much in use.  Although I think google street view is very quicktime VR like.

I can almost see photosynth (with seadragon) being used more in a "2D" fasion.   Example.. you have a photo of a car.. no matter how high res that photo is.. you are not going to be able to zoom into the photo to read the imprinted text in the lower corner of the glass of the headlight.   However.. if that image of the car was "photosynthed" with 100s of very upclose images of every square inch of the car.. then you can (over the internet) zoom into every minute detail of the car.    Replace "car" with any product and I certainly can see how this can be used.

So more importantly Seadragon I think very well WILL change the way people interact with large data sets!!!  It worked exactly as demonstrated.. I couldn’t BELIEVE how easily you can look at 500 high res images… zoom, pan, scroll!!! Seadragon is AMAZING!!!!

I wonder though.. instead of looking at 500 "high res" images with seadragon… what if you only have one "SUPER HIGH RES" image, or even several of them.   Like.. what if EACH of your images were 1GB?    Would we still see the same level of performance?     Especially considering that the images would not be .jpegs at that size?

And in case anyone wonders… yes..  there are instances where people work with 60,000×60,0000 image (or bigger).   The term "high res" is definatly relative.

37. RMS says:

I like Photosynth. It would be appreciable if MS develop a stand alone application and works offline also

38. Test says:

Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:22 PM by Maxi

Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:26 PM by Yert

But for now, I have two suggestions to add:

Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:35 PM by Sascha

Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:37 PM by synthy

@Yert

Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:44 PM by Gary T

Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:50 PM by MrGroove

Great Service!  Keep up the good work.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 3:03 PM by Kobus

Photosynth.net has also died:

Server Error

The following error occurred:

Please contact the administrator.

NOT a good showing from Microsoft, to be sure.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 3:28 PM by Delirium

What about offline app with same functionality?

Thursday, August 21, 2008 4:07 PM by Bruce

Thursday, August 21, 2008 4:14 PM by David Speakman

Thursday, August 21, 2008 4:30 PM by 2Smug

Maybe the delay is caused because they need more CALs for windows server 2008.

Need to contact your Microsoft rep?

Thursday, August 21, 2008 4:34 PM by /dev/cpu

U guys should have used Amazon’s web services platform  to scale. 😉

Thursday, August 21, 2008 4:43 PM by Rob

this is so Microsoft

site not working

Thursday, August 21, 2008 4:46 PM by james3mg

"

"

Thursday, August 21, 2008 4:52 PM by synthy

@ /dev/cpu

Thursday, August 21, 2008 4:52 PM by Daniel

Thursday, August 21, 2008 5:03 PM by Nick Schmidt

So I hear that you can’t do much with this if you have a Mac?

Is this true?

Thursday, August 21, 2008 5:07 PM by TimCo

Thursday, August 21, 2008 5:09 PM by Mike

Couple thoughts and questions:

1)  Why not make it a downloadable app instead of online only?

Thanks,

Mike

Thursday, August 21, 2008 5:30 PM by Fufu Fang

Thursday, August 21, 2008 5:46 PM by Architecturegeek

Interesting Stuff guys.

Just a thought

Thursday, August 21, 2008 5:48 PM by Sam

Thursday, August 21, 2008 5:51 PM by Adam

Thursday, August 21, 2008 6:27 PM by AppleAngel

Oh and Sienfeld for your new face? Flashback 1980s.

# Το Photosynth επιτέλους είναι εδώ!

Thursday, August 21, 2008 6:32 PM by Delicate Sound of Development

Thursday, August 21, 2008 6:37 PM by OfNoConsequence

Wow –> by AppleAngel

That pretty much tells the tale of the attitude behind your post.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 7:12 PM by Zymer

Thursday, August 21, 2008 7:26 PM by QA nerd

You’d think if anyone had enough money to do a decent job, it’d be you guys.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:22 PM by bob e

Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:02 PM by Yorick

The App works great!

To bad you can’t delete you uploaded test synths :-(

And it would be nice to add/merge synths

Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:42 PM by Timmo

Thursday, August 21, 2008 11:58 PM by abeen

wow, can’t wait to try photosynth.

No worries. Server break downs happens for every MNC,

abeen

Friday, August 22, 2008 12:46 AM by jonathan

to yorick –

Friday, August 22, 2008 1:41 AM by Robert Scoble

Friday, August 22, 2008 6:19 AM by xrayjames

Congrats on getting the site back up!

Friday, August 22, 2008 10:41 AM by Mike

39. crazy says:

Windows Live was announced on November 1, 2005. Several Windows Live properties were rebranded and enhanced from Microsoft’s MSN set of products and services. However, MSN still exists alongside Windows Live as a means of delivering programmed content (as opposed to customized content and communications).[2] Although the new branding might suggest closer technical ties to the Microsoft Windows operating system and services, the two are available separately. Microsoft said that Windows Live "is a way to extend the Windows user experience".[3] However, some Web browser based Windows Live applications are available outside of Windows, and Windows doesn’t include Windows Live applications either. Windows Vista does, however, provide a link in its user interface to download Windows Live Messenger.

40. Toto says:

@crazy

Does this means that expecting a non-Windows version (Ubuntu) is not just dreams?

41. Bono says:

Frankly, i hope Yahoo or Google come up something similar to squash this irritated project forcing people using winXP or Vista. If you have win9x or Win2K or win2003 or any Microsoft not supported older  OS, you’re out of luck. Don’t even think of it will competible to Linux OS, Solaris or Apple. Microsoft goal to create such a crap to force people using thier OS and products.

42. Brian Minnesota says:

I can’t use the program.  Whenever I click on anyone’s synth, it goes back to say Install the Program.  Is there something wrong with my computer?

43. Emmanuel RAMALINGAME says:

This is a very interesting one. I like to see the views in different dimension. And this new tchnologie types of images are taking us

in the deepest imagination. I thing photosynth is a essentiel one

for this génération. Through Photosynth we can found a lot of treasures of images. Photosynth will be useful for everybody not only for

kowing the general knoledges, it will be usefull for knowing history

and geographies of our world.

My idea is, one day, why not we see our planete through satélite as gps for discovering the images in our choice. And in the sametime

like to see all planets in 3D with new science tecnologie.