Bibliomeme

1. Grab the nearest book. 2. Open the book to page 23. 3. Find the fifth sentence. 4. Post the text of the sentence in your journal along with these instructions.

“Right-click the My Documents folder and select Properties”

(from Hillier’s book, reviewed below)

Hmm… that may be the most common answer around. 😉

Philo

1. Alex Barnett says:

Lets see where this goes…

2. EAW says:

"Best of all, you can edit the elements inside the envelope." – Adobe Illustrator 10 User Guide

3. Just me (Sir to you) says:

"Kerberos requires a trusted path between the keyboard and the Kerberos software running on a workstation through which users can enter their passwords"

(Secure Networking with Windows 2000 and Trust Services – Jalal Feghhi and Jalil Feghhi)

4. Eric Lippert says:

I have a feeling that lots of these are going to be technical books. Fortunately today I have my copy of "Video Trash And Treasures Volume One" at hand, due to a discussion about zombie movies I was having with a coworker the other day.

"’Joe Bob Goes To The Drive In’ [is] the definitive work of drive-in movie criticism, complete with breast counts and Joe Bob’s escapades with Wanda Bodine."

5. Hollie says:

The game is played exactly like Seven-Card Stud High except the highest card showing (excluding the ace, which is strictly a low card) on third street (the third round of cards dealt face up by the dealer) is usually a forced bet.

From Poker: A Winner’s Guide by Andy Nelson

6. Aixor says:

What an utterly senseless idea that could only have spawned from the deseased mind of a blogger. And directions are lacking clearness. What if there is no fifth sentence? Do headings and captions count as sentences? =p

But since you mentioned the magic number 23 I can’t resist. =D

"First, a device interrupt causes the interface layer code to execute, which posts a software interrupt that later causes the protocol layer code to execute."

— TCP/IP Illustrated Volume 2, Gary R. Wright, W.Richard Stevens, Addison-Wesley

7. Boofus McGoofus says:

I really can’t imagine.

— The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown, Doubleday

8. A.T. says:

I’m sitting at my computer, so of course it’s a computer book. I’m embarrassed to say, it’s one I haven’t opened in years. Clearly it’s time to fight my tendencies to hoard, and have a major clear-out.

"You can change the name when you first save the project, or at any time by choosing File Save As"

— Borland Delphi User Guide. Version unspecified, but there was only one at the time.

9. a cynic writes... says:

He will drop me like a rasher of bacon into a gigantic frying-pan sizzling with fat.

(The BFG, Roald Dahl) – my daughter’s copy.

10. ko says:

You must understand the implications and limitations of the implementation

Effective Oracle by Design. Thomas Kyte, Oracle Press