SQL Server 2008 Discovery Report

How can i tell what SQL Server features and version do I have installed? This question has been asked a lot recently.  Starting in SQL Server 2008, we added a SQL Server discovery report as an option on the Tools page on the Installation Center.  When you click on the link below, SQL Server will be started to discover the SQL Server features.

The Installation Center can be launched from the Start Menu, under the SQL Server 2008 entry:

image

Click on the “Installed SQL Server features discovery report”

image

Here is the report:

image

The SQL Server Discovery Report is saved to %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\<last Setup Session>

Options:

• You can also generate the Discovery report through the command line. Run “Setup.exe /Action=RunDiscovery” from a command prompt
  • If you add “/q” to the command line above no UI will be shown, but the report will still be created in %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20091112_082147.

1. Jawdat says:

Unfortunately it can't be run remotely to discovery other servers' SQL installations. Is there a tool you can run or use in a batch to discovery a list of servers and give you these useful reports?

2. Jawdat says:

What's with the 'discovery', I meant discover, must have been an auto-spell checker, definitely not me.

I am sure there is such a tool around and hope someone comes forward with some details.

3. Steve Malley says:

You can create a query using the serverproperty function to determine most of the information above. Running it through Central Management Server [Registered Servers] will allow  you run it on whatever systems you choose, with a single result set. I run this periodically to retain information on the current state of servers. If you want to get a list of SQL Server Services, I think you can use a variant on the command-line sc command.

SELECT

,SERVERPROPERTY('SqlCharSetName') 'SqlCharSetName'

,SERVERPROPERTY('SqlSortOrder') 'SqlSortOrder'

,SERVERPROPERTY('SqlSortOrderName') 'SqlSortOrderName'

,SERVERPROPERTY('FilestreamShareName') 'FilestreamShareName'

,SERVERPROPERTY('FilestreamConfiguredLevel') 'FilestreamConfiguredLevel'

,SERVERPROPERTY('FilestreamEffectiveLevel') 'FilestreamEffectiveLevel'

4. @Steven I like your solution, but it only works if you can register the server in CMS. CMS registration requires the use of Windows Authentication, and that the server to be SQL 2008 or higher. I realize the latter point will be moot soon, but I can unfortunately speak from experience about not having direct access to production SQL Server instances.

5. Rahul Singh says:

Sir, there is no instance and Instance ID installed, but all other feature are installed.

what should i do?

help me.

6. Perfect- That is great.

Thanks Peter. :)

7. Jim Dugan says:

You can also use the MAP tool (www.microsoft.com/map)  to discover other SQL Servers, their editions and all sorts of other information.

8. keshab aryal says:

Product Instance Instance ID Feature Language Edition Version Clustered

None None   None          None   None         None    None       None

how to solve this Microsoft  sql server 2008 setup discovery report.

9. getting Compatibility Error when run the discovery report says:

I'm running a version of SQL 2008 express on Windows Server 2012. When running the SQL server install center>Tools>Installed sql server features report, I get the little error box "compatibility problem".

How can I see the version of SQL I'm running ? will MAP work or will it give me same compatibility error.

Is there another way to s see the version of SQL on my server 2012?

10. Gus says:

Do I need SQL 2005 and 2008 and 2014, or may I remove the prior versions?

Thanks.

11. Seneca says:

I have created a SSRS site for my IT department, how can I get the Discovery Report displayed there in demand?

I want to be able to add reports on number of databases, list of databases, etc to the site.

Thanks