How to Install SQL Server 2008 R2 (Express Edition)

Overview:

With the release of the SQL Server 2008 R2 November, we have simplified the SQL Server Express (all editions and package) installation process.  In this release, we have completed the following:

1. Reduced the number of clicks by 50% when performing an install.
  2. All inputs are defaulted on Vista and above operating systems.  (many inputs are defaults on Windows XP and Windows 2003, except for the service accounts)
  3. Skip (auto advance) through the UI, meaning non-essential dialogs will still be skipped.
  4. Reduced the size of the Express basic package

Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Express with Advanced Services

X86

X64

Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Management Studio Express

X86

X64

Below I show the steps to install SQL Server 2008 R2 Express.

1. Launch the package, you will then see the contents extracted to a temporary location.

image

2. SQL Server Setup checks to determine pre-reqs are installed. If not, you will be prompted to install.

image

3. The Installation Center will then launch. Click on “New installation or add feature to an existing installation” to start the Installation Wizard.

image

4. Accept the license terms.

image

5. Review the features to installed and where SQL Server will be installed. Make any changes that are necessary for your environment.

image

6. Review the Instance Name and change if necessary.

image

7. Review the credentials that will be used for the services that will be created.

image

8. Review the Authentication Mode and the administrators that will be added to the Database Engine.

image

9. Review the Error Reporting settings. We encourage you to keep this option checked, as we review the product feedback on an ongoing basic.  This helps us to continually improve SQL Server.

image

10. That’s it!

image

Support/Feedback

If you have further questions or feedback, you have a few options:

1. Geminiman says:

Thank you!!!! This is much easier!

Any work done on automated installs failing alot?  We’re constantly dealing with failed installs that we hvae to do a manual gui install with the same options and then it works just fine (in fact we use the same script and just remove the silent flag and just click next a bunch of times)

2. schrepfler says:

Can we have the bootstrapper for the server with tools?

3. If you take a look at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c772467d-e45b-43e1-9208-2c7b663d7ad1&displaylang=enc, there is a package that contains the database engine and tools. I just did not include the link here…

4. schrepfler says:

I’ve seen it but I was referring to the bootstrap packages so that we can distribute easily this latest release with our applications directly from VS.

5. Adrián says:

Hi!

I don´t know what am I doing wrong.

I have Windows Vista SP2 in Spanish, but cannot install SQL Server 2008 EXPRESS R2 in Spanish.

So, I tried the English (ENU) version.

It installed, but never asked me for the instance or anything. And in the end I think it didn't installa any instance at all, because, although I have the Managment Studio, there appears to be no database to logon.

It's all weird indeed.

Thansk for any advice, like the precise link to download the actual installer. Maybe I'm just installing the Managment Studio… I honestly do not know!

6. Eric says:

Hi, I'm running Windows XP sp2 and wanted to install a few web development tools with the web platform installer…I figured I need SQL Server Express so I selected downloads for all the SQL server options. I ended up with SQL Server 2008 AND SQL Server 2008 r2. That seems to create a problem because both installation center wizards don't work correctly…keep on prompting me for folders to select and when I select it comes up with an error message saying the selected folder is not a valid installation folder. Can I remove one of the versions?Without affecting installation files of the other?How do I go about this?

I have all the other requirements. Please Help

7. kc says:

Hi everyone!

I having issues with SQL Server 2008 Enterprise after Windows 7 Pro 64 bit installed. Is the solution suggested here apply to my problems too? I have already tried the following steps below in attempt to fix it, but the issue persists.

I have a Dell Precision laptop with Intel core 2 dual 1.8 GHz proc, 4 GB RAM, 300GB HD with 200 GB available. Also, Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 with SP1 and Microsoft .NET 4 pre installed before SQL Server 2008 installation, but the SQL error 40 and 2 are preventing me to connect to local database. I also applied SQL Server 2008 SP1 and SP2 after the installation.

In subsequent attempts, the installations were completed with errors with Database Engine installation. I have spend hours to removing registry entries and I would like to hear to hear rom the expert before attempt to install it again.

Thanks in advance and hope to hear from you guys soon. Any help would be very much appreciated.

=================================================================================

Steps I took in previous attempts.

•  To work around this issue, we suggest you to re-install SQL Server Express, and you can try the following steps:

1. Uninstall the existing SQL Server 2008 R2 Express and all the components from the control panel.

2. Backup the registry.

3. Delete the following keys in regedit:

–HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server

–HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMSSQLServer

4. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionUninstall and delete all the sub-keys referencing SQL Server.

5. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServices and delete all the keys referencing SQL Server.

6. Rename all the SQL Server folders in the computer.

7. Reboot the machine.

8. Download and install Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 from here.

9. Download and install Windows Installer 4.5 from here.

10. Check if the computer has Visual Studio 2008. If so, you need to install Visual Studio 2008 SP1. For more information, please see here.

11. Download SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services from here and re-install it as suggested in this blog.

In addition, on the Server Configuration page, please choose a local administrator or domain user account for all of these SQL Server services, such as administrator or <DomainName>/<UserName>.

8. kc says:

Hi everyone!

Steps I took in previous attempts.

2. Backup the registry.

3. Delete the following keys in regedit:

–HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server

–HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMSSQLServer

6. Rename all the SQL Server folders in the computer.

7. Reboot the machine.

8. Download and install Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 from here.

9. Download and install Windows Installer 4.5 from here.

9. Lian says:

How many users can sign on to SQL Server 2008 R2 Express ?

10. Lian says:

How many users can sign on to SQL Server 2008 R2 Express ?

11. kc says:

I finally figured it out yesterday. Yes, I have installed a SQL server 2008 R2 Express with advanced features on another laptop with 64 bit Win7 pro OS.

12. kc says:

If I am not mistaken, SQL Server 2008 R2 Express is a single user license. You might want to check and confirm that on Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 release notes.

13. kc says:

14. kc says:

Lian, If I am not mistaken, SQL Server 2008 R2 Express come with a single user license. You might want to check and confirm that on Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 release notes.

15. J@mes says:

Thanks for the instructions, the installation was alright. But…

After the installation, when I try to open the SQL Server Management Studio and logon to the local database, I get each time this error below:

TITLE: Connect to Server

——————————

Cannot connect to (local).

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 – Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2)

For help, click: go.microsoft.com/fwlink

BUTTONS:

OK

——————————

I already re-installed it several times and each time I get the same error 🙁

Is someone able to help me?

Thanks.

James

Is

16. Ivano says:

You have to specify the TCP Port (1433) under SQL Server Network Configuration – Protocols.

Choose TCP/IP, Properties, IP Addresses tab and under IP All specify 1433 for TCP Port.

I've just did it for a SQL Server 2008 R2 ITA version and it worked perfectly.

Ciao,

Ivano

17. J@mes says:

Thanks Ivano, but I checked and the port 1433 was already set by default.

Some other other idea?

Thanks.

James.

18. brownr says:

try turning off your local firewall just to see if it is blocking the connection port

19. pod says:

How do I get to the  64-bit downloads. They are hidden beneath the right sidebar.

20. Michael says:

pod, all download options are available here:

21. TJ says:

I installed Windows installer 4.5 . And then installed SQL Express 2008 R2.

Installation fails with the comment "System requires a reboot" .How can I avoid this restart?

22. Ivan says:

This is great, but the equivalent commandline for UNATTENDED installation of SQL Express R2 is……?

23. Vinod Prajapati says:

I got this ERROR….

TITLE: SQL Server Setup failure.

SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:

The system database file master.mdf already exists in C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft SQL ServerMSSQL.1MSSQLDATA.

Error code 0x84B40000.

BUTTONS:

OK

24. dazzle95 says:

Which version should I have Windows 7 as OS?

25. Ramakrishna says:

Helped me a lot during the service account config

26. Don says:

page formatting has changed hiding the right portion of the express download page……

Thanks

Don

27. Joe says:

Hi,

I was trying to install the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 r2 express edition after uninstalling it a  week ago… but while installing it , it just keep not going after the "License Terms" window. It couldn't go further to the

"Feature selection " window… I have tried so many times restarting but the situation never solved. it always takes me back to the "SQL Server installation center" window…. Please solve my problem. Thank you!

28. Mona says:

Hi,

I am having the same problem as Joe. Can anyone help? It does not take me to the select feature page?

BTW, i am trying to install in vista service pack 2.

Thank you in advance.

29. Justin says:

Hi all,

I have tried to install SQL 2012 on Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 home premium. During installation, it does not ask for any about instance creation. After installation, no instance was created at all.

And, I can't find any method to create an instance. Does anyone could help me out?

Many thanks!

Justin

30. nikhil says:

Does it support windows 8… ?? please want to install in windows 8

thanks 🙂

31. ZUDIAK says:

TITLE: SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup

——————————

There are validation errors on this page. Click OK to close this dialog box. Review errors at the bottom of the setup page, then provide valid parameters or click Help for more information.

BUTTONS:

OK

32. P.Nanda says:

Not able to connect to sql server 2008 from visual studio 2010. what should be the connection string?

Data Source=    ??      ;Initial Catalog=(database name);Persist Security Info=True;User Id=      ??;Password=     ??     "

what should it be for windows authentication and sql server authentication?

33. lena says:

it installed successfully but dint show any  connection

how can i connect it with data base as i clicked over it it just shows installation center nothing more

what can i do kindly reply and guide me

34. mudassar says:

when i am isnstalling microsoft sql server 2008 R2 "the specified folder is not a valid directory" this error is coming …..

what will i do…do help me please

35. boomireddy says:

how to find the sqlserver name after installing the softwere

pls help to me

36. hans says:

BTW, i am trying to install in window sever service pack 1.

37. uday says:

sir,

i am getting the error while installing sql server 2008 r2 please tell me the pre requirements

my os is win 7 ultimate and i hav 2gb ram

38. innocentguy says:

how to know the ip address? and can i connect it to remote desktop?

39. Partha Pratim Dey says:

Thank you very very much for such a good topic

40. samina says:

salam to every one

there is some problem in connectivity as iam is unable  to connect the server name.

kindly do some instructions.

thanks.

41. Larry says:

I installed both a test and production version of SQL Server Express 2008R2.  The test I choses the default settings c: Program files and it works fine.

Production I chose the e: drive for installation but I cannot connect to it – any suggestions would be greatly appreciated….

42. Mohammad Shahid says:

it's very helpful ..Thank you so much

43. DileepReddy says:

Thank for every one it is usefull for every one……

==================================

44. Pranavesh says:

But after installing  i am not getting where to open.it

45. noshaad says:

is this exist "database mail" functionality?

46. y2j says:

after install program show only configuration file only …..y…?

47. ridha rahmi says:

TITLE: Connect to Server

——————————

Cannot connect to SQLExpress.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Une erreur liée au réseau ou spécifique à l'instance s'est produite lors de l'établissement d'une connexion à SQL Server. Le serveur est introuvable ou n'est pas accessible. Vérifiez que le nom de l'instance est correct et que SQL Server est configuré pour autoriser les connexions distantes. (provider: Fournisseur de canaux nommés, error: 40 – Impossible d'ouvrir une connexion à SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)

For help, click: go.microsoft.com/fwlink

BUTTONS:

OK

48. srk says:

Before install Sql Server 2008 r2 Install  visual Studio 2010?