The August CTP of Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 is now published: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/ee315247.aspx. Give it a try and give us feedback!!!
This release does not have many changes around the Express when compared to SQL Server 2008. But the next CTP will contains several improvements as a result of your feedback. Here are some of the changes that will be in the SQL Server 2008 R2 Express product:
- The Express runtime package is smaller
- Setup UI Changes
- All user input defaulted (Vista and above): Therefore you can just click Next through the Installation Wizard. The features are selected and the service accounts are defaulted. Less choices means better chance for success!
- All features selected by default: When you run Express, all the features within the package would be selected to be installed.
- Number of clicks and screens: The number of steps or clicks to install have been reduced by 50%.
- Pre-reqs: Clearer messaging whether .NET or MSI needs to be installed before proceeding with the installation and a direct link to the download