Having gotten a little fed up with manually re-registering MCE files when MedCtrRO.exe fails, I have created a new command-line utility to automate the task.
- Repair the ACLs to get COM+ Services working again (see KB909444)
- Repair the registration for .NET Framework v1.1 libraries (should fix the “Entry Point Not Found in mscoree.dll” error during registration).
- Reinstalls all MCE Windows Services
- Re-registers COM components of MCE
- Reinstalls managed assemblies into the GAC
- Recreates native images for managed assemblies (ngen)
Of course, I can’t warranty any of this stuff, but if you find it useful, feel free to use it. If you run this and still cannot get things working on your machine, please let me know! Please include your %windir%\MedCtrOC.log file, %windir%\ehome\ehshell.crash (if it exists), and if you’re experiencing EPG problems, a zipped/RARed copy of your %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\eHome\EPG folder.
MceRepair 0.1 (alpha) is posted at http://www.pegasi.com/MceRepair_0.1.zip [obsolete, use 0.2 below]
EDIT: A newer version, 0.2, is now available at http://www.pegasi.com/MceRepair_0.2.zip