Silverlight 4 is a powerful development platform for creating engaging, interactive user experiences for Web, desktop, and mobile applications when online or offline. First introduced in 2007, Silverlight has come a long way, with four major version releases in less than three years. By now, you’ve likely heard about the Silverlight platform. You’ve probably even seen a quick demo or two of an application running cross platform with some streaming media, or even a simple animation. But now you want to learn how to build real-world business applications using Silverlight!
Join us a for a full-day learning event at the Silverlight 4 Firestarter in New York City! We’ll spend the whole day bringing you up to speed on all you need to know about the platform & tools to build Silverlight applications, with a special focus on line-of-business applications.
We’ve got a great line up of speakers, including some of the folks who have written multiple books on Silverlight! Presenting at the NYC Silverlight 4 Firestarter will be myself (Peter Laudati), Jason Beres, Matt Van Horn, and Todd Snyder.
Date: Saturday June 5th, 2010
Microsoft NYC Office
1290 Ave Of The Americas, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10104
Doors open at 8:30am. Sessions run from 9:00am – 5:00pm. Lunch will be served around 12:15pm.
- Session 1: Keynote: The Silverlight 4 Platform Overview
- Session 2: Silverlight LOB Application Basics
- Session 3: A Little Fun With Media – Webcams, Mics, and A/V!
- Session 4: Application Navigation & Windows
- Session 5: Sketchflow in Action
- Session 6: Blend for Developers
- Session 7: MVVM Pattern in LOB Applications
- Session 8: Doing Data with WCF
Keynote: The Silverlight 4 Platform Overview
Whether you’re targeting web, desktop, or mobile, Silverlight is a powerful development platform for creating engaging & interactive user experiences. In this session we’ll cover what types of scenarios the Silverlight platform shines best in. We’ll look at some amazing uses of Silverlight out on the web today. Finally, we’ll take a quick tour of the tools and walk through a basic demo sample from design to code to deployment.
Silverlight LOB Application Basics
In this session we’ll cover the following topics which will set up for basic concepts that are needed to understand how to build line of business applications.
- Creating a sandboxed app vs. out-of-browser app and how permissions work
- Access local file system using drag and drop demonstrate permissions issues
- Simple sample showing drag drop, OOB, Printing, COM Interop, Devices, Right-Click, Notification Window to talk to new features. Show some code, but not details)
- Updating an out-of-browser app
- Detecting network connectivity
Simple infrastructure for saving data offline if network is not available (isolated storage, file system)
A Little Fun With Media – Webcams, Mics, and A/V!
In this session you will learn how to use Silverlight to access the local audio and video devices and on machine and do something cool with the data.
- How to access the local audio and video devices
- How to record audio and video
- Real world sample of using audio or video
Application Navigation & Windows
In this session, explain how navigation is implemented in Silverlight and how to use windows and dialogs.
- How to do basic navigation
- How to implement deep linking
- How to show and hide built in dialogs
- How to use the custom windows
Sketchflow in Action
In this session, you are introduced to SketchFlow. The goal is to demonstrate the concept of SketchFlow and how it can be used to help define screen design and screen flow.
Expression Blend for Developers, LOB
In this session, you are introduced more tools in Expression Blend - we will take the SketchFlow work from a talk earlier in the day and add colors, gradients, subtle animations and custom templates to take your LOB app from developer ugly to Blend Beautiful.
- How to use Storyboards, Timeline for animation recording
- How to implement animations on controls
- How to use Behaviors
- How to use Visual States
- How to create and use resource dictionaries and apply styles to controls
MVVM Pattern in LOB Applications
In this session, you will get an introduction to the MVVM pattern which is recommended for building an LOB application.
- What is MVVM
- Using WCF and MVVM to access data from a service
Doing Data with WCF
In this session we take a typical problem – like a Customer/Orders/Order Details Northwind application and create it end to end to explore how to user services and do CRUD.
- How to create a WCF Service
- How to Bind data to data grid and show master detail with multiple grids
- How to edit data and submit changes back to server
- How to use the DataForm control for data entry and validation
- How does RIA Services and DomainDataSource help
Swag & Prizes
We hope you come to attend the NYC Silverlight 4 Firestarter for the unique content, providing a FREE opportunity to advance your skills by learning a new technology. However, like many events, we’ll have some fun stuff to giveaway at the end. If you stick around, you will have the chance TO BE THE LUCKY WINNER OF A MICROSOFT ZUNE! YOU MUST BE PRESENT TO WIN.
[UPDATE 6-2-2010]: Can't make it to NYC on Saturday? Live out of town or in another far away city? You can now register to join the Firestarter via our online simulcast of the event via Live Meeting. Details here.