Hello everyone from sunny southern California! I'm out here with a bunch of my Microsoft peers and others from the local developer community from back east attending the Microsoft Professional Developers Conference in Los Angeles. As I wake up to sunny skies in the 70s and 80s, I hear that it's actually SNOWING in Jersey?! How did this happen?!
Anyway, I wanted to provide you all with an update on some of the big announcements made out here yesterday. The keynote and breakout sessions were great. I also had fun hanging out at the Open Space area at PDC. Looks like there are some good conversations scheduled for the Open Space today! Others have written plenty about the news from PDC, so I'll mostly link out here. In case you missed it:
- Windows Azure announced as Microsoft's "cloud OS"
- Windows Live ID to support Open ID
- "Geneva" Claims Based Access Platform - Wow! CardSpace was just the beginning. This is the whole standards-based kit & kaboodle that will help bring the next generation of identity management and federated identity home! This was probably not the biggest announcement at PDC, but it sure captured my excitement. Read the white papers at the link above to MSDN.
- MS Surface SDK opened - I'm looking for better information on the SDK, but essentially the Surface API is a modified version of WPF! So you can bring your WPF skills to the table. (pun intended. 🙂
- WCF REST Starter Kit Released on CodePlex
- Netflix offers movies on Mac via Silverlight! - Okay... not from PDC, but still a cool announcement nonetheless.
Stay tuned for more updates from PDC later this week!