The International Association of Software Architects New York Chapter
Next Meeting: December 18, 2007, 6 PM. (We meet every 3rd Tuesday of the month.)
Location: The meeting will be held at Microsoft, 1290 Avenue of the Americas on the 6th floor.
Due to heightened building security procedures you must RSVP to wzack AT microsoft.com by close of business on Monday December 17, 2007 in order to be admitted to the meeting on December 18th. Please include your first and last name in the RSVP.
A few months ago we had IBM/Rational here to talk about their development tool suite. This month’s meeting will cover Microsoft’s newly released development tools, Visual Studio 2008 and the .NET Framework 3.5.
Abstract: Visual Studio 2008 and .NET 3.5 for Architects
If your job as an Architect is to research and exploit technology to help achieve business results then you need to take a look at what has just been released in Visual Studio 2008 and the .NET 3.5 framework. Here is just a short list of the many new features you need to understand and explore to be able to fully leverage these new capabilities in your environment:
- Overview of VS2008 & NET 3.5
– Multi-targeting support
– C# 3.0 enhancements
– Visual Basic 9.0 enhancements
- Silverlight 1.1 Rich Internet Application development
- “LINQ”ing into your data
- Exploiting the Dynamic Language Runtime languages (Python & Ruby)
- New features for enabling SOA services:
– Windows Communication Foundation
– Windows Workflow Foundation
– Workflow Services
– Make your sites safer with Card Space
- Windows Client development with Windows Presentation Foundation Web Enhancements
- ASP.NET AJAX
- Visual Studio 2008 Web Development environment improvements
- Microsoft Office Development
- SharePoint Workflow Development
- Mobile Development
- Optimize Online, Enable Offline with SQL Server Compact and Sync Services for ADO.NET
- The Client Continuum
Speaker: Jim Cirone
Jim has spent the last 10 years working in Microsoft’s Consulting Services division in the New York/New Jersey area. He is currently an Architect Evangelist in the Developer and Platform Evangelism group at Microsoft.
Refreshments for this meeting will be courtesy of Microsoft. In addition there will be a raffle of some software, books and one of the new Zune media players provided by Microsoft.
We also want to thank Oracle and Microsoft for being annual sponsors of our chapter. If you know of any other companies that would be interested in becoming a chapter sponsor, either for refreshments at a single meeting, or annually please let us know.
IASA New York Chapter web site: http://www.iasahome.org/web/newyork.
For further information: Contact Bill Zack at wzack AT microsoft.com.