Some important news came out recently regarding visual studio 2005 and visual studio version support on vista. you can read about it on soma’s blog here, but here are some nutshell bullets:
- Visual Studio 2005 SP1 Beta released today – pending feedback over the next few weeks, this is planned to be released out of beta in the next 3-4 months
- VS2005 SP1 will run on Vista, but may have some compat issues, teams are working together to find those issues and provide a set of fixes beyond SP1.
- .NET Framework 1.1 and 2.0 applications will work on Vista (runtimes are supported)
- Visual Studio 2002 and Visual Studio 2003 will not be supported on Vista.
- VB6 runtime and IDE will be supported on Vista
some of this is good news (SP1) and some not-so-happy-face-news (VS2003 on Vista). start preparing now…
In addition to Tim’s info above, there is an FAQ available on MSDN here.