RSS Reader Recomendations?

I’m looking for an RSS reader for the PC that will allow me to have different categories for different RSS feeds.  So for example, I can group all the technology ones together, all of the ASP.NET stuff together and so forth.  I’d prefer it not integrate with Outlook, but if thats what the best option is, I’ll go with it.

What do you use?

1. Steve aubin says:

For my vote, I’d definately have to go with SharpReader ( It fast, easy, has the grouping that you desire, and is written in .NET!

2. I started out using RSS Bandit, but now I use FeedDemon. While it is not quite as customizable as I would like, it worked well enough for me to buy the full version.

3. Andrej Tozon says:

I’ve just switched over to JetBrains Omea Reader ( and I’m staying! Standalone, plenty of features and comes with a free licence.

4. Mark says:

I stoped using an rss reader, but when I did read rss stuff I used owl:

Not the most fancy reader on the planet, but it does the job. And you can have folders.

It was made with Java though, so you might not want to use it.

5. DonXML says:

RssBandit ( is probably what you want. Dare Obasanjo and Torsten are the primary developers.

6. Alex says:

7. Jeff Parker says:

I like RSS Bandit myself. Free Opensourced.

I used to use SharpReader but had a lot of problems with it. Like when a server might give a 404 error or something because it is being hit. Well thats not valid XML. If you closed Sharpreader without clearing out that error then when you launched it next time, it would puke and die from invalid Xml. But no such problems with the bandit.

8. Bloglines! Just because it’s a Web app doesn’t mean it sucks.

And you can check stuff at work and stuff at home one the same account, and you can check stuff anywhere else too.

Check it out.

9. Zack says:

I use FeedReader. Also open source. Can minimize to the tray and can group items.

10. Dave Wright says:

I can also recommend RSS Bandit. I used to use SharpReader but also had issues with reliability, my problem was if I used remote desktop to the box where it was running it would leak memory and eventually crash.

11. chrisslatt says:

I’m another proud RSSBandit user. I’ts great and only getting better!

12. Jason says:

RSS Bandit!

13. David Betz says:

I use Abilion because I monitor all 13,000+ of the MSDN feeds…and I only use free RSS readers. Paying for an RSS reader is like…sheesh, paying for e-mail.

14. nortypig says:

I just use feedreader from

Its a 1.4 meg download, simple double click install and up in a flash with the ability to make folders and stuff.

I don’t need complex or integrated either. I’ve used feedreader for about a year and no complaints at all. Stable, fast, efficient, under rated… and no I have no affiliation with them beyond being a user.

Cheers 🙂

15. I switch between and feeddemon. That way when I switch computers it keeps track of which feeds have been read. Pretty cool.

16. Matt says:

I too recommend RSS Bandit.

17. Craig says:

Try a new one just out at

18. I use RSS Bandit and am very happy with it. It uses a three pane viewing paradigm, similar to Outlook. But, it’s a complete separate app.

19. Wil says:

I used bloglines, but it gave me the rage after a while. I switched back to snownews ( ) a while ago. Its fast, pretty featureful for text, and if you need to see images, it can launch a browser for you.

20. Vineeth Raja says:

RSS Bandit is the best free RSS Reader in my opinion. The only downside is that it is not lightweight. It eats up lots od memory and CPU cycles when updating feeds.

21. Bloglines is great at it. You can read everything in a category at once by clicking on it.

22. Ganesan.B says:

Mozilla Thunderbird is good. I have used RSS Bandit , FeedReader too. But these tools gets very slow after some time

23. TonyB says:

I use

It’s web based and does everything you mentioned. Plus, it has the advantage of being web based – we all know what that means – it’s great to be able to read your feeds from anywhere!

24. Younes Ouhbi says:

You really might wanna check Newz Crawler out! It’s definitly the way to go…