We have just release the 1.3 version of the Azure SDK, Azure Tools for Visual Studio and the Training Kit. This is the information and links for them:
Azure Software Development Kit (SDK) 1.3:
- Virtual Machine (VM) Role (Beta):Allows you to create a custom VHD image using Windows Server 2008 R2 and host it in the cloud.
- Remote Desktop Access: Enables connecting to individual service instances using a Remote Desktop client.
- Full IIS Support in a Web role: Enables hosting Windows Azure web roles in a IIS hosting environment.
- Elevated Privileges: Enables performing tasks with elevated privileges within a service instance.
- Virtual Network (CTP): Enables support for Windows Azure Connect, which provides IP-level connectivity between on-premises and Windows Azure resources.
- Diagnostics: Enhancements to Windows Azure Diagnostics enable collection of diagnostics data in more error conditions.
- Networking Enhancements: Enables roles to restrict inter-role traffic, fixed ports on InputEndpoints.
- Performance Improvement: Significant performance improvement local machine deployment.
Windows Azure Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio also includes:
- C# and VB Project creation support for creating a Windows Azure Cloud application solution with multiple roles.
- Tools to add and remove roles from the Windows Azure application.
- Tools to configure each role.
- Integrated local development via the compute emulator and storage emulator services.
- Running and Debugging a Cloud Service in the Development Fabric.
- Browsing cloud storage through the Server Explorer.
- Building and packaging of Windows Azure application projects.
- Deploying to Windows Azure.
- Monitoring the state of your services through the Server Explorer.
- Debugging in the cloud by retrieving IntelliTrace logs through the Server Explorer.
Windows Azure Platform Training Kit - November Update
The November update provides new and updated hands-on labs for the Windows Azure November 2010 enhancements and the Windows Azure Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio 1.3. These new hands-on labs demonstrate how to use new Windows Azure features such as Virtual Machine Role, Elevated Privileges, Full IIS, and more. This release also includes hands-on labs that were updated in late October 2010 to demonstrate some of the new Windows Azure AppFabric services that were announced at the Professional Developers Conference (http://microsoftpdc.com) including the Windows Azure AppFabric Access Control Service, Caching Service, and the Service Bus.
Some of the specific changes with the November update of the training kit include:
- Updated all hands-on labs to use the new Windows Azure Tools for Visual Studio November 2010 (version 1.3) release
- New hands-on lab "Advanced Web and Worker Role" – shows how to use admin mode and startup tasks
- New hands-on lab "Connecting Apps With Windows Azure Connect" – shows how to use Windows Azure Connected (formerly Project "Sydney")
- New hands-on lab "Virtual Machine Role" – shows how to get started with VM Role by creating and deploying a VHD
- New hands-on lab "Windows Azure CDN" – simple introduction to the CDN
- New hands-on lab "Introduction to the Windows Azure AppFabric Service Bus Futures" – shows how to use the new Service Bus features in the AppFabric labs environment
- New hands-on lab "Building Windows Azure Apps with Caching Service" – shows how to use the new Windows Azure AppFabric Caching service
- New hands-on lab "Introduction to the AppFabric Access Control Service V2" – shows how to build a simple web application that supports multiple identity providers
- Updated hands-on lab "Introduction to Windows Azure" - updated to use the new Windows Azure platform Portal
- Updated hands-on lab "Introduction to SQL Azure" - updated to use the new Windows Azure platform Portal
Note: The presentations and demo scripts in the training kit will be updated in early December 2010 to reflect the new Windows Azure November enhancements and SDK/Tools release.