Common terms used in these rules:
These are the official rules that govern how the Microsoft Technology Guru Contest promotion will operate. This promotion will be simply referred to as the “Contest” throughout the rest of these rules.
In these rules, “we,” “our,” and “us” refer to Microsoft Pakistan, the sponsor of the Contest. “You,” “yourself” refers to an eligible Contest entrant.
This Contest starts on 20 November, 2011 and will end on 20 March, 2012. Entries must be received within the Entry Period to be eligible.
You are eligible to enter this Contest if you meet the following requirements:
- You are a legal resident of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan at the time of entry; and
- You are NOT an employee of Microsoft Corporation or an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary; and
- You are NOT involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest; and
- You are NOT an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse, child) or household member of a Microsoft employee, an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary, or a person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest.
This Contest is void outside the geographic area identified above and wherever else prohibited by law.
To be eligible for judging an entry must meet the following content/technical requirements:
1. Answer the questions correctly.
2. All answers will be evaluated on MSDN Pakistan Community Blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/pakistan/)
3. Email address must be mention with every Entry
4. Any answer without an email address will not be considered/marked.
5. Only the first correct answer will be marked.
6. The Prize will be awarded to the person who correctly submits the maximum number of right Entries throughout the Entry Period.
7. Microsoft Pakistan reserves the rights to disqualify any participant without stating any explanation.
All Microsoft’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest.
In addition, by submitting your entry into this Contest you confirm that, to the best of your knowledge:
- Your entry is your own original work; and
- Your entry only includes option number with email address; and
- You have obtained permission from any recognizable person (parent/guardian, if a minor) that appears in your entry to submit your entry in this Contest and to use their personal data in the entry for the purposes of the Contest (if applicable); and[FN1]
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you:
1. are granting us an irrevocable, worldwide right and license, for which you have received a sufficient remuneration, for the duration of the protection of the copyrights to: (i) reproduce, copy, modify or alter your entry with all known all later developed means; (ii) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyse your entry and all its content in connection with this Contest [and any future contests sponsored by Microsoft]; and (ii) feature your entry and all its content in connection with the promotion of this Contest in all media (now known or later developed);
2. except where prohibited, hereby waive any and all so-called “moral rights” or any similar right that you may have or hereinafter acquire in the entry and all its content, and to the extent that you can not, you hereby consent to us doing or omitting to do any act that would otherwise infringe such “moral rights” or any such similar rights;
3. agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above;
4. understand and acknowledge that that Microsoft and other entrants may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your entry;
5. understand that we cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives in the course of entering, or what our representatives will remember about your entry. You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your entry. By entering this Contest, you agree that use of information in our representatives’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under this agreement or copyright or trade secret law;
6. understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your entry, other than what is described in these Official Rules.
Please note that following the end of this Contest your entry may be posted on a website selected by us for viewing by visitors to that website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to this website. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry.
If you do not want to grant us these rights to your entry, please do not enter this Contest.
To submit your entry
Step 1. Follow MIC Pakistan Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/MICPK) and MSDN Pakistan Blog.
Step 2. Questions will be posted on MSDN Blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/pakistan/) and will be shared at MIC Pakistan Facebook Page.
Step 3. The visitor will visit the blog post through the MIC Pakistan Page and will answer the question along with his/her email address.
Step 4. Around 100 to 150 questions will be asked in these two months (on an average 2 questions per day) in different timings.
Step 5. The person correctly answering the maximum questions correctly will get the Prize.
Step 6. The scoring will be done manually.
We will accept unlimited Entries (but the person winning the first prize will be ineligible for second one) per person and e-mail address. In other words, two people may not enter using the same email address – you each must enter using a unique email address. We are not responsible for entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for entries that we receive but are not decipherable for any reason.
We will automatically disqualify:
(1)Incomplete or illegible entries; and
(2)Entries that we receive in excess of the entry limit described above.
A manual calculation of Entries submitted by person will be conducted by Microsoft, the person who submitted the maximum number of correct Entries on the MSDN Pakistan Community blog along with email address during the Entry Period will win. Mentioning email address is a must for any eligible entry.
The decision of Microsoft Pakistan is final and binding. The decision will be made on or around 20 January, 2011 and 20 March, 2012 and will take place at Microsoft Innovation Center Pakistan at approximately 03:00pm. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion based on the above criteria, select fewer than 1 winners. In the event of a tie between any eligible entries, the tie will be broken by an additional judge who will the judge the tied entries based on the criteria listed above.
X-Boxes ($500) 2 units
If for any reason the advertised prize is unavailable, unless to do so would be prohibited by law, we reserve the right to substitute a prize(s) of equal or greater value, as permitted. We will only award one (1) prize per person. If you are selected as a potential winner of this Contest:
(1)You may not exchange your prize for cash or any other merchandise or services.
(2)You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we will award it to an alternate potential winner.
(3)If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize.
(4)If you are a minor in your place of residence, we may award the prize to your parent/legal guardian on your behalf and your parent/legal guardian shall be designated as the winner.
If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the e-mail address listed on your entry within seven (7) days following the determination of winners. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award the prize to an alternate winner.
If there is a dispute as to who is the potential winner, we will consider the potential winner to be the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter the Contest.
If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign a declaration of eligibility, use, indemnity and liability/publicity release. If you are a potential winner and are a minor in your place of residence, and we require that your parent or legal guardian shall be designated as the winner pursuant to clause 8(4) above, we may require that they sign a declaration of eligibility, use, indemnity and liability/publicity release on your behalf. If you, (or your parent/legal guardian if applicable), do not sign and return these required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you (or the designated parent/legal guardian) and select an alternate selected winner.
9. WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS ARE YOU ARE AGREEING TO BY ENTERING THIS CONTEST?
By entering this Contest you agree:
(1.) To abide by these Official Rules;
(2.) To the extent allowable under applicable law, to release and hold harmless Microsoft, their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss, damage, right, claim or action of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest or any prize won;
(3.) That Microsoft’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest; and
(4.) That by accepting a prize, Microsoft may use your name and place of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to you. The declaration of eligibility, use, indemnity and liability/publicity release provided to the potential winner (pursuant to clause 9 above) will make reference to obtaining his/her free consent to use his/her name and place of residence. In any case, the lack of such consent does not prevent the winner from receiving the prize.
This Contest will be governed by the laws of Pakistan, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of Pakistan for any disputes arising out of this Contest.
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to select winners based on the criteria specified above from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Contest.
Computer “hacking” is unlawful. If you attempt to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Contest by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may ban you from participating in any of our future Contests, so please play fairly.