Patch Tuesday: WM 6.1 SMTP fix released!

12/1/2008 Update:

We’ve narrowed the patch incompatibility to a certificate mismatch.  This means that while the patch is functionally sound, the device won’t allow the code contained in the patch to run.  We’ll be working with the device manufacturer to get a version of the patch that will work for you.

If you’re successfully running the patch now you don’t need any further updates for the SMTP bug.

11/17/2008 Update:

We’re still looking into the patch problem- and so far we’re only seeing it on the Blackjack II.  If you encounter the problem on a different device we’d love to hear about it in our comments section.

Remember that the original bug and the problem that we’re having with the patch only affects POP and IMAP accounts.

11/12/2008 Update:

We are seeing the issue reported in one of our comments on some devices:

After applying the patch you may not be able to access your POP or IMAP accounts.

Note that this is not occuring on all devices, so you may not experience a problem with the patch.  We are trying to determine how many devices out there might run into this now.

If you apply the patch and have this problem you can uninstall the patch.

On Windows Mobile Standard: Start, Settings, Remove Programs

On Windows Mobile Professional: Start, Settings, Remove Programs

Check back here and we’ll keep you posted on our progress.

As some of you have noticed, a bug recently appeared on Windows Mobile 6.1 devices that prevented certain users from being able to send e-mail.  It took more time than we expected to investigate the cause, create a fix, and finally test it across the various flavors of Windows Mobile 6.1 out there, but we’re happy to say that as of yesterday the fix is available: download it now!

We noticed some confusion around the feature that caused the bug, so here’s a quick description of it:  This feature allows operators to specify an alternate server that can be used only when your device has a problem accessing your mail account’s SMTP directly.  When can this happen?  Some mail services, like those provided by ISPs, only allow access to their SMTP servers when you are directly on their network.  With this feature, it’s supposed to be easier for end users to send mail on a Windows Mobile device.

When the feature was shipped, a bug was introduced with it.  If your operator doesn’t make use of the alternate SMTP server feature and you encounter an error reaching the SMTP server you specified when setting up the account, your account settings become corrupted.  Ironically, the end result is you can’t send mail on that account after this happens- it’s not the operator’s fault, it’s ours.

In this case we were able to get a fix out and provide it directly to you instead of routing it through our partners.  This isn’t something we’ve found we have to do very often, but we’re working on improving the way we deal with these kinds of issues in the future.  Hopefully this won’t happen again, but if it does we’ll be faster in getting the fix out to you.

Many thanks go out from the team to our customers and especially to Tracy and Matt who went the extra mile to help us identify the problem!

Thanks for your patience on this one.

A couple of things to remember about the patch:

It only applies to Windows Mobile 6.1.1 through 6.1.3.  Windows Mobile 6.1.4 and later are already fixed.

If you ever clear the flash memory on your device you’ll have to reinstall the patch again.

Links:

KB Article 958639

Download the patch

-Bill Saez

1. Rich Hay says:

I applied this patch to my BJII and it removed all of my POP3 accounts from the accounts screen yet they were still "there" and I could not delete them.

2. Outlook Mobile Bloggers says:

@Rich Hay

If you could provide your contact details we’ll get in touch with you so we can look into what’s happening on your device.

Thanks,

Bill

3. For those of you who have noticed the SMTP sending bug recently, the folks over at the Outlook Mobile

4. For those of you who have noticed the SMTP sending bug recently, the folks over at the Outlook Mobile

5. Per says:

Will this update be available to through the Windows Update feature on Windows Mobile?

6. Surur says:

Why dont you make this patch available via Windows Update on Windows Mobile?

7. Niraj says:

Is there an intention to add a fix like this to Windows Update? Because otherwise, my phone never finds any new updates and it doesn’t seem all that useful if you’re pushing out fixes directly.

8. Daniel Barton says:

Does this fix address the "Error Synchronizing" bug with Outlook Mobile and Exchange servers?  I get this error at least once a day since I upgraded to WM 6.1.  The only way I’ve been able to work around it is to reboot my phone or to turn airplane mode on/off.

Thanks, Daniel

9. Dr Glen Marshall says:

Applied the patch and the problem remains – hugely disappointed!

10. Alan says:

I have installed this patch ( I believe) but it it DOES NOT appear in the list of programs to be uninstalled. However, since installing it I have rebooted by HTC Touch Diamond phone twice and on both occasions it has booted and then immediately  performed an uncommanded reboot.

Is there another way to ascertain whether the patch is installed?  Is there another way to uninstall it?

I echo the requests here for the ‘Windows Update’ feature to actually do something withing WM.  Currently it appears to be a waste of time.

Regards

11. I have still been having this SMTP problem even though I have Windows Mobile 6.1.4. Are particular builds of 6.1.4 affected? My PocketPC runs build 20721.1.4.0

12. Mike W. says:

I am having the same problems with my BJII as Rich Hay.  My pop3 accounts were blown away, but still remain on the home screen.  Please fix! mwoelmer at yahoo

13. Joe says:

I too have a BJ II (i617) and when I applied this patch, like Rich, my imap accounts were hidden and unaccessable.  Also, any additional accounts added after the patch were also hidden, after the setup, and could not be accessed be reached.

After uninstalling the patch and rebooting the phone, all the accounts reappeared on the list.

14. Collins D. says:

Didn’t work…what is the next option?

15. this patch WIPED out all my IMAP accounts on my BlackJack II. CRAP!

16. William Leblanc says:

CDMA Touch Diamond using WinMo 6.1 activesync / exchange account will not send mail properly… usually get anywhere from 3 – 6 copies sent to receipient and the message never gets purged from my outbox… but this patch is not for activesync / exchange sending?

Help.

17. Hans says:

I tried to install the CAB and it gives an error. I have WM 6.1 AKU 1.4.0.0 and it says it needs 6.1.1 or higher??

I do not understand.

Maybe because my WM is in Dutch language?

Why is Microsoft so unprofessional in these things.

18. Hansham says:

This patch will not install!!

I have WM 6.1 AKU 1.4.0.0 build 20757 and somwhow that is not good enough??

It asks for WM 6.1.1 which is not available in my language.

Why is Microsoft so unprofessional in these things. The least you can do is test it on the newest phones like the HTC Touch HD.

19. Outlook Mobile Bloggers says:

@Hansham

If you have AKU 1.4.0 you shouldn’t need the patch- which is why it won’t install.  If you’re having trouble sending from your POP or IMAP account on that device let us know.

20. Tony says:

Still not working on my Blackjack II.

Please hurry and fix this! It bites not having email on my phone. It is so much more physically demanding to fire up my laptop and access my email that way.

Patiently awaiting the BJ II fix,

T

21. Hansham says:

Thank you for your reply. I posted twice because I thought my first message was not placed.

I have a brand new HTC Touch HD. I live in The Netherlands. I cannot send mail over smtp. Hotmail works fine.

My provider T-Mobile tells me I can use my internet provider smtp address, which is smtp.strato.com

when i use this, with ssl on or off, it does not work.

In the past I used smtp.euronet.nl but that does not work either.

I have tried smtp.gprs.t-mobile.nl and that does not work.

My phone can connect in three different ways to internet: GPRS, HSDPA and WiFi. I wonder, should I use different smtp servers in different modes? My phone does not give me that option. I do not know what to do. In most cases I have HSDPA connection.

22. Tony says:

To Outlook Mobile Bloggers,

Are you still working on resolving the issues this causes with the Blackjack II? It has been weeks now since I’ve been able to send an email from my phone. Pretty much defeats the purpose of having a blackberry style phone or Windows Mobile.

Maybe just and update with any progress you have been making on this blog would be helpful for those of us with the BJII.

Thanks,

Tony

23. Alfero says:

Please make your blog mobile friendly.

24. Hansham says:

I have solved the problem.

It was a combination of 2 things:

My T9 had doubled my password and I had not noticed, because the password appears as ********

I had to tag both the settings "outgoing server needs confirmation" and "use same username and password for sending email"

(T-Mobile says in their recommended settings that you should un-tag these)

Now I can send email.

HTC Touch HD with T-Mobile

25. sam says:

Will try this on my Omnia as failing to send mail all the time, i find I have to reconfirm all account settings and then it will send. But then next day it fails again.

26. pkley says:

This patch did nothing for my new AT&T Fuze. I still had to delete my Gmail IMAP account and rebuild it in order to send email.

Can you post the registry keys involved so we can dig further? I’ve been dealing with this issue for the last year on my AT&T Tilt. If I’m on a long call in a Edge network area, it’ll break my email…or if I’m plugged in to the PC for too long…really annoying to have to resync 300 plus emails.

27. Arthur Malkin says:

I Don;t have windows mobile 6.1, but my e-mail is hanging on send also.  I can’t download the patch.  Help!

28. Cregg McCormack says:

I have recently upgraded to Windows Mobile 6.1. I have a Motorola Qc phone. I have set up my email to work with both AOL and Comcast. But I am experiencing a problem with my Comcast setup. I am able to send and receive emails, but when I open the email and delete the email, the email will not delete on the comcast server. So, when the phone polls comcast, I get the same emails all over again. This was not a problem with Windows Mobile 6.0. I do have the setting set "Delete Email on Server" What can I do to resolve this problem. Thanks.

29. Plamen says:

After installing the CAB on my HTC TouchPro the device rebooted. Still can’t sent e-mail. The patch should be installed though, as it’s visible in the list of programs for removing

30. Nate says:

Hey Blackjack 2 users!!!! I have the same issue with the fix, however, there is a email program called Seven http://www.seven.com/ that you can install on your phone and it works!!! I was about to throw my damn phone away until I found this little gem. It is free for now since it’s in Beta but I’ve got all my emails, I can sync all my email folders over POP and not just my inbox. And the best part, It’s always live(so no getting emails every 2-4-12 hrs or having to manually connect) AND I CAN SEND EMAILS!!!!!

31. Rsacipher says:

I have an unbranded TyTNII, it is AKU .0.4.2 but I had to go in and change the number to that so I could get BB Connect to work on 6.1. Anyone know an older version I could downgrade to so I can try the patch?

32. Kevin Thom says:

I’m using a Touch Diamond on Bell. Winmo 6.1 Professional, Build 19972.1.2.7.

I applied the patch (twice) and still I have the problem.

Any updates about my device would be useful. I hate not being able to send mail from my phone.

33. Bryan Smith says:

I’m using the Motorola Q9c, WM6.1. Using POP3/SMPT to connect to GMail. I had the problem where I could receive but not send after several weeks.

Interestingly, had problem with my account first time around a week ago. Deleted girlfriend’s account, and mine started working! For a while, at least. Recreating account solves each time.

After applying the patch, problem reversed: I could send but not receive.

When creating account with the patch (which I tried several times), it would take a while to receive the email (little over 500 messages iterated), but would not display them. There was a little latency on each message, perhaps a quarter to a half a second. On the last email, promptly said ‘Disconnecting’. Empty inbox. Did this patch result in new authentication problems? If so, why did it settle on receiving over 500 email that never entered the inbox?

As a quick second point, I second the recommendation to make the blog mobile friendly. It would be a positive endorsement of the mobile community.

I’ve removed the patch and can send/receive again.

34. Bryan Smith says:

After applying the patch, problem reversed: I could send but not receive.

I’ve removed the patch and can send/receive again.

35. P Nelson says:

Having same issue with Verizon HTC Touch Pro.  Verizon tech support had me setup outgoing email thru vzwmail.net smtp server.

36. While i was reading articles related to our messaging arena and with regards to Windows Mobile they released

37. Seth Lowrey says:

I am using an HTC Touch Pro (Verizon), brand new, and was doing fine for several weeks, then could not send messages over SMTP.  Applied the patch and no change.  Have not tried recreating my account, but that is probably next.  Running Windows Mobile 6.1 Pro, CE OS 5.2.19972 build 19972.1.2.7

Processor is a MSM7500A-528Mhz

This is really tough to have to deal with – any suggestions?

38. DocRica says:

Same problems here, WM6.1 on a samsung Player Addict, I receive mail (gmail/imap) correctly, but cant send any… Patch applied (?? At least wm rebooted)

39. JWilliams says:

I’m using a Touch Pro on Sprint and the patch fixed my problem with sending email.  Nice work guys/gals.

40. JS says:

Installed patch 3 times and have tried everything on this list and I still can not send email. I have an HTC Touch Pro and I am very frustrated!

41. Dave Cohen says:

I have a Verizon HTC Touch Pro…life was good for about 30 days til this morning when the problem showed up.  I applied the patch and it did not work.  I am unable to send emails.

Help!!!!!

42. David says:

Did this ever get resovled for the Black Jack II?

43. email_maggie says:

I have a HTC Fuze and had the problem described above.  I downloaded the patch via cab file and followed instructions.  My problem with sending emails out via my yahoo accounts was still not resolved. HELP!  Because the email wizard automatically sets up yahoo settings, I also couldn’t access and customize out-going server, per description of a previous post.  PLEASE HELP!  I’ve spent many hours trying to fix this problem.  I thought WM is supposed to make my life simpler.

44. D. Doell says:

My wife has a Blackjack II she uses for her business and she depends on it to stay connected when away from the office. We upgraded the phone to WM 6.1 when if first came out and have used it trouble free until about a week ago. She uses Gmail IMAP and for no reason it stops sending email. The only solution is to delete the account and set it up again. I understand this patch was made to address this but when I installed the patch my wife’s email account disappears. No matter how many new accounts I install none of them show up. I have unistalled the patch and everything is back. There has been no information since 12/01/08 about a fix for Blackjack owners. I have had to delete and reinstall my wife’s email six times this week. Is a fix coming?

Thanks.

45. D. Jaffray says:

Have an Omnia from Verizon and am experiencing the same problem. I have applied the patch and still cannot send mail via POP3/SMTP.  I have tried all the other tricks but nothing seems to work. Come on Microsoft – let’s get some priority on this please!

46. Joe says:

It’s been 2 months since the patch incompatibility was narrowed down to a certificate issue on the BJII (i617).  Is there any word or update on a fix for us BJII users?

47. Jeff Spencer says:

I’ve been unable to send email via my gmail "hosted" account for a while now.  I found this patch and it fixed my issue.  Thanks!

And as others have said, why isn’t this being pushed by automatic updates?  I never see anything come through AU..

48. Joe Levy says:

Has this been fixed for Blackjack II?  It’s still hiding my pop/imap accounts and making them unusable.  Is this problem still being worked on by the core team?

49. hyimam says:

HTC Fuze user here…I applied the patch..system rebooted. But still having an issue sending emails like everyone else. I will try deleting the gmail account and then setting it up again. I, like many of you, am extremely frustrated with Windows 6.1 and basic functions not working.

On another note, is anyone having issues with the HTC Fuze when switching from portrait to landscape mode (sliding out the keyboard), text disappearing so you are typing without seeing any of the letters you are typing on the screen? Also happens when I am in my email folders…can’t see Inbox, Outbox, etc…

50. English Benn says:

SMTP problem present on my HTC Touch HD

WM6.1 Professional

Build 20757.1.4.0

MS Patch will not function because it states version 6.1.1 is required.

6.1.4 should be fixed, but it seems it is not.

Help greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Benn

51. cybulman says:

Is this patch good for the ATT FUZE running Win Mo 6.1?

I am having a problem only with outgoing email, when I travel.

Microsoft or anyone PLEAE HELP I am a non-techie!

Email me!

Cybulman@aol.com

52. ttocs2 says:

I have a Treo 800w.  I use an POP3 email account on my own domain name through Network Solutions.  I have installed and reinstalled the hotfix cab directly from the Treo a number of times, and deleted and reinstalled my mailbox.  I am now able to send and receive for a few days at most, and then I cannot receive or send messages any more.  The phone says, "Logging on," then "Looking for changes," where it remains for a few minutes, until I receive a "Disconnecting," message, which remains for a few minutes.  Even a “Stop Send/Receive” command will not stop the Disconnecting message.  I have tried a soft reset (battery removal) a few times, with no luck.  At this moment, I can send messages (which confirms that my user name and password are correct), but the program gets hung up at “Sending messages.”

I only keep 7 days worth of email (290 items) with a size limitation of 5 KB on the Treo.  My NetSol email box has a limit of 1 GB of which 29% is used (around 7,000 messages); for the time being I leave them there as an off-site backup, but I have another 990 1 GB mailboxes unused, so it is easy for me to keep my mailboxes smaller, if that would help, although when the email program is working, it does not seem to be bothered by the size of my mailbox.

I would appreciate your help.  I will not belabor you with tales of the amount of wasted time and frustration.  My old Centro running Palm OS handles the email flawlessly, but I would prefer to keep the 800w, which has a faster processor.

Thank you.

53. joelevy says:

Is there any update to this for Blackjack II?  There is apparently still some certificate issue and every now and then my device fails requiring a full wipe and reset to enable me to send SMTP email again which is just crazy.  The current patch does not solve the problem – it just resets the device and wipes out all my non exchange email accounts which is even more frustrating.

54. Mike says:

I have a Blackjack II and installing the hotfix made my IMAP account disappear, but I can no longer create one. Others have reported the same thing, and the uninstalling the hotfix returns the IMAP account(s). So how do I uninstall the hotfix?

55. Kyle says:

HELP

I have the HTC touch HD and can not send/receive emails through outlook. when its connected to mylaptop it works fine.

Any fixs????

56. Jan says:

Same thing happened with my BlackJackII!

I was able to uninstall the patch and get my accounts to show up so I can at least still receive e-mail.

1.  Start/Settings/More/Remove Programs

2.  Select the patch and confirm you want to remove it

3.  Restart the phone

Between this and other issues on my home PC, I’m ready to trash all Windows products in my life and go all Mac…

57. Jan says:

And one more followup on my BJII situation.  My POP (home) account could send, but my IMAP account (work) would not.  I deleted the IMAP account and set it up again and the phone started sending mail again…

Fortunately, since it’s the IMAP account, it downloaded all my sent and received items.  Whew!  (But still what a pain!)

58. DAve says:

——

Al said:

i just downloaded it and installed and it works…

——-

I applied patch and it worked.

I have  PPC6800 HTC Mogul running WM6.1

59. joelevy says:

Can anyone on the winmo team tell me anything about this bug and if it’s fixed or related:

Thanks.

60. joolsmcgee says:

The Treo Pro is running 6.1 Professional and has this same issue.  When I first got the phone it was fine, but it started about 3 – 4 weeks ago.  I cannot send e-mail on Gmail or AOL.  This is very, very frustrating.  I tried to install the patch, but it says it can’t install on my phone.  In that case, the fix should be built in to my phone, but it clearly isn’t.  You really need to look into this issue, it appears a lot of us are affected.  If I can’t find a fix, I will be forced to buy a phone that does not use Windows Mobile — it is useless at this point.

61. numbskull says:

I feel bad for users who are not as technical as we are on this forum.  I’ve struggled with this long enough to wish I could go to another solution.  My previous Blackberry never experienced this amount of hassle nor does my wife’s iPhone, both connecting to multiple email accounts without a problem.

62. numbskull says:

By the way, there still appears to be an unexplained certificate error involved here.  As many of you have experienced, sending email worked just like it’s supposed to with no special settings…then clear out of the blue, it began failing without good reason (no WM update, no Office Mobile update, I changed nothing on the device that I can tell).  All I got one day was some certificate error.  Yet, when you go look at the cert store on the phone, you see nothing listed with an obvious expiration date that coincides with when sending emails began to fail.

Now the patch mentioned here does nothing for me either other than return an error saying it can’t be applied to my version of WM (Currant: 6.1 AKU 1.4.4.0, Build 20765 Platform 2).  So… that only leaves me with this having something to do with a bad cert??  And if that’s true, which one and why???

63. numbskull says:

eh, nevermind.  I got a Treo Pre over the weekend and LOVE it!!  Reminded me just how much Windows Mobile sucks… after 6 version of that OS, you’d think they’d be further along in their mobile phone UI – especially with the likes of iPhone as their competition for how long now??

Skip to main content