QnA: Can I save mails on a storage card?

Question:

I have a T-mobile SDA.  There is a limitation of base memory size on the phone.  I would like to move my outlook folder to default on the micro SDA card rather than on the main memory of the phone.

I sync with my corporate email and I get a error of low storage space.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Answer:

Hi Neil,

Unfortunately at this time you’re stuck at using the main memory. I am sorry this isn’t as pleasant an experience as we would have liked it to be. Perhaps you could narrow your sync window (eg. download the past day’s messages only) or decrease the default sync size (eg. set it to 0.5 KB). If you’ve installed apps that you don’t use anymore then you could consider removing them to free up some space.

Since installing apps on an SD card works, I normally install programs on the storage card. I also keep my music, pictures and other files there. It’d be ideal to be able to keep my e-mails there too, but these are some workarounds that may work.

Thanks. Please don’t hesitate to ask if you have any other question.

Zeeshan Hamid.

1. jsdavis says:

Zeeshan,  that’s not really much of a work around.  Anything I can, I store on my 2GB storage card but I the email sync although useful is still virtually unusable because of the lack of space.  It’s really frustrating when I’ve got 800MB just sat there on the memory card not being used.

Isn’t there a registry hack or something even if it is unsupported that can be done to help out here?  Alternatively couldn’t the storage card be used for the paging memory or what ever it is that the OS wants the main memory for?

Scott

2. zhamid says:

There is a registry  hack that allows Smartphone users to save attachments on storage card.  However, can’t save mail there.  We really should implement that, now that storage cards are so cheap.

3. GAZ says:

Some weeks ago there was a hack for email storage on the SD by Mobility Today. If you not find it, let me know. I feel the same, it should be possible to save – store all Outlook data on the SD card.

4. Any change on this with WM6?

5. Alex C Smith says:

I totally agree with Scott, this is a real pain. The registry setting that allowed you to specify the email location no longer works in Windows Mobile 6 (possible in Windows Mobile 5). It severely limits the usefulness of having Outlook on the device if I can only sync 10% of all my email!

6. arash says:

This is really wrong that with 2GB storage card and 128 or 256MB memory on my T-Mobile Dash and NOTHING installed except for 3-400 contacts and 100 SMS messages, I keep getting out of memory alert.

My phone didnt ring this morning to wake me up, I guess because its out of memory.

This is just wrong that MS is ignoring simple things.

7. Jonathan Chui says:

is there still no method of doing this?

you’d think that this would be a more common problem…

8. Taybor says:

I too am in this situation.  My phone is constantly out of memory and I am sure there is a simple registry setting that can fix this they just won’t release it.

9. Raciel says:

I, too, am having this problem. This wasn’t an issue with WM5 because of the registry hack. Now, however, I am having trouble with updating the registry on WM6 despite my attempts to follow this: http://www.tleone.com/windows-mobile/40-windows-mobile-5/61-move-email-and-attachments-to-storage-card.html

Hoping that WM6 will release an update soon that will enable users to download their mails to their storage cards, instead of using the device’s built-in storage.

10. lwdaddio says:

I just got a Samsung SCH-i760 planning to sync my 300+MB of Outlook folders and have run into this as well.  I’ve updated it with Windows Mobile v6.1.  Does 6.1 maybe have a fix for this?

11. I also experienced this, run through the Registry in all directions but can’t find this anywhere.

I opened a thread on the XDA-Developers Forum.

Mark/Max

12. Matt says:

The inability to save all synch items to the storage card is a serious pain.  The internal storage on devices simply doesn’t keep up if you use WM(5|6) with an Exchange server.  Further, if you do personal mail on it as well, you’re doomed to a constantly freezing phone.

I specifically bought an 8g SDHC card knowing full well that I can move mail attachments to it (which is a GUI feature in 6) but hoping that I can move *all* storage to it.  So please, please, please let me get what I want.

13. M says:

same issue. think i’ll switch to iphone. this is ridiculous.

14. Sumit says:

It’s frustating….even with WM 6.1 u can’t even save outlook contacts on your SD Card….God I miss my Nokia E61.

Please Please let me know if someone has a solution

15. Ami Butler says:

There is a registry hack for ALL mail and attachments that has worked flawlessly, for me every time I have used it.

Updated for Windows Mobile 6!

01 Using the file manager in activesync, create the following folders on your Storage Card.

MAPI

MAPIATTACHMENTS

You can actually name them whatever you want, "Inbox" for example.

02 Now browse to WindowsMessaging (SmartPhone) or WindowsMAPI (PocketPC)

If you want to save all of your existing mail, move everything in this directory to the new ones on your Storage Card.

03 Now fire up your registry editor and navigate to the following.

For WM5 Phones: [ HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftMAPI ]

For WM6 Phones: [ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemInboxSettings ]

Then create the following STRING VALUES.

Name: AttachPath

String: Storage CardMAPIAttachments

Name: PropertyPath

String: Storage CardMAPI

04 Reboot your phone and then goto your inbox. If you can see all of your mail then mission accomplished. Double check your attachments as well.

16. Sinrau says:

Updated for Windows Mobile 6!

MAPI

MAPIATTACHMENTS

You can actually name them whatever you want, "Inbox" for example.

02 Now browse to WindowsMessaging (SmartPhone) or WindowsMAPI (PocketPC)

03 Now fire up your registry editor and navigate to the following.

For WM5 Phones: [ HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftMAPI ]

For WM6 Phones: [ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemInboxSettings ]

Then create the following STRING VALUES.

Name: AttachPath

String: Storage CardMAPIAttachments

Name: PropertyPath

String: Storage CardMAPI

17. This is fantastic.  Thanks so much for posting this updated comment Sinrau / Ami.  Worked for my WM61 device (HP iPAQ 910).  I’ll be sure to share this internally with my colleagues.  Kind regards, B.