Styles

One of the new features we’ve implemented in OneNote 2010 is the ability to use predefined styles. This is a great way to keep formatting consistent across your notes. There are 11 new styles available for use. Here’s what they look like:

clip_image001

Tips:

• A style is applied to the entire paragraph.
  • You can select multiple paragraphs and apply the style to each of the selected paragraphs.
  • You can apply the style by clicking on the desired style in the Home tab.
  • Any of the following styles can be applied by pressing the appropriate keystroke:
    • Heading 1 <Ctrl + Alt + 1>
    • Heading 2 <Ctrl + Alt + 2>
    • Heading 3 <Ctrl + Alt + 3>
    • Heading 4 <Ctrl + Alt + 4>
    • Heading 5 <Ctrl + Alt + 5>
    • Heading 6 <Ctrl + Alt + 6>
    • Normal <Ctrl + Shift + N>
  • With the exception of the Normal style, none of the styles are customizable.
  • To customize the Normal style, click File -> Options -> select the desired font, size and color.

1. Daniel says:

I am really dissapointed by not being able to customize the styles.

I've kept searching for a way to do it, as I was overjoyed when the first screenshots of ON 2010 appeared.

Still cannot believe it's not possible and that you've chosen not to.

You will probably say that you don't want to "confuse" first time users with a lot of options. But this could have been done somewhere behind the front…

This and the fact that TAGS remained aboslutely the same, are the reasons for not upgrading to 2010.

There are so many useful things one can do with proper tag filtering… it hurts my head…

Good job!

One dissapointed OneNote fan!

2. Darren says:

Here's another user that would relish the option to customize styles similar to the functionality available in many of the other Office products.

3. EBGreen says:

I like the functionality of OneNote, but the lack of customization may wind up being too much of a straight-jacket.

4. LovePS says:

without customization, the styles are virtually useless. what if I want my headings numbered?

5. Sam says:

The customise styles functionality was implemented in Microsoft Word 2007! Why this didn't hit One Note 2010 is beyond me. I'm glad that we now have styles with OneNote 2010, but it seems as if this is a half-implemented feature.

6. H says:

I agree with the other commenters. Styles that cannot be customized are pretty much useless. Instead of releasing a half-implemented feature, you should have saved the space for more important functionality.

7. Kari says:

For some odd reason, a very important (and simple) paragraph style, vertical space between rows, is not included in the style; only font, size and color are. It is a bit frustrating to need to manually set the 'after' space e.g., to '6' for each paragraph to show gaps between paragraphs.

8. quandmeme says:

for those keeping track at home, this is still a problem and it is still a big deal and there is still no workaround.

October 2012

9. Brian says:

This seems typical of MS developers where, unfortunately, those behind the scene somehow feel as if they know more than the user. Removing the ability of a user to customize styles is a huge step backwards.

10. Jonathan says:

I'm also disapointed that those styles can't be edited.

11. David says:

Ok seriously I need to be able to customise the styles. Red headings are an absolute must, and I cant be applying that myself… what a janky solution. Bring in custom styles

12. Paul B. says:

Would at least like a Body Text style with paragraph spacing.

13. Justin B. says:

I'd like to add my name to the list of those who would use a customized style capability in OneNote on a daily basis. Please enable this functionality!

14. Tess says:

As a new user to One Note, I thought I'd try it today….

The heck with Styles, I just want to set my font choice and have it persist.

This is typical MS.

Visio is just as problematic with fonts.  Who thinks Calibri is attractive?  Ugh!