Word Count for OneNote 14

OneNote is a great tool for folks who want to jot down random thoughts or ideas.  It’s a tool that appeals to the neat and organized, as well as to the awkward and clumsy note taker.  At OneNote, we affectionately refer to these two stereotypes as “filers” and “pilers”.

OneNote is often used as the birthplace of a document’s origin, which will eventually become a published work of some kind.  No matter how free-flowing your thoughts are, OneNote has a way of adapting to your own personal style.

However, one feature that OneNote lacks inherently is a word counter.  If you ever find yourself wishing you knew how many words or characters you’ve created before you’re ready to move your notes to that next level, you have to count them yourself, or take the content into another program such as Microsoft Word and run it’s word counter.

Well, no more…because I’ve written a OneNote add-in that does just that.  It counts the number of words, characters (with and without spaces), outlines, paragraphs and ink words on a page.  If you find yourself wishing you had this feature in OneNote, try installing this add-in.  Once it’s installed, click on the Review tab where you’ll find the Word Count button.

OneNote Wordcount.zip

1. M.Ahrens says:

Great Add-In! Well updated and improved your 2007 one. However, as I have been trying to develop my own OneNote add-in to use the OneNote 2010 ribbon un-successfully, I was wondering whether you would be able to consider releasing some of the source code or possibly writing a short 'How-To' guide about adding your add-in onto the ribbon.

With very limited infomartion availiable on the internet and MSDN, this would be a great help!

2. jeffcardon says:

Actually, there are lots of how-to guides already written for creating Office add-ins, most of which are much better than I would be able to put together.  You might try visiting this site and see if it is able to help you: msdn.microsoft.com/…/ff802688.aspx

3. David says:

Hi, it doesn't seem to work for me. I get a message Statistics for page 0 of 0 and all the values are 0. I have tried selecting the page, selecting the text to no avail.

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Many thanks

4. jeffcardon says:

This will generally happen if you are on a page that doesn't really exist, such as a revision page or a conflict page.

A revision page appears when you click Share -> Page Versions.  If you're sharing a notebook and other people have contributed to the contents on the page, you'll see 1 or more revision pages appear beneath the existing page.

Similarly, a conflict page generally appears in a shared notebook, and occurs when 1 or more parties add  content to the same outline element, causing a conflict to occur.  A small icon will appear on the page tab indicating that a conflict has occurred.  If you click on the icon, it will expose the conflict in 1 or more pages beneath the existing page.

Revision pages and conflict pages, while they appear in the section, don't really exist and are not accessible, other than for viewing purposes.

If you happen to be in either of these situations, this add-in will not count, since it only gathers data from a "real" page.  Try switching to a non reversion or conflict page and see if it works for you there.

5. yt8019 says:

Nice work! Any chance of modifying it to show how many pages/sections there are? That's something I really want to know about my notebooks!

6. jeffcardon says:

it already shows the number of pages.  If you look at the top of the dialog, it says "page X of N", N being the total number of pages in the section.

7. David says:

Thanks Jeff but that's not the problem. Page version is dimmed and there is no icon on the page. I clicked about in numerous pages and all are returning zero values in all the fields.

8. win7guru says:

I think this is an awesome addon, but one thing is missing:

The option to ONLY count the text selected

9. Rich says:

Having problems getting this working – addon installed, but no sign of it in the Review tab.  Have tried reinstalling a few times, and restarting to ensure a fresh version of OneNote is opened.  Any suggestions? Does it need installing in a particular folder?

10. jeffcardon says:

You do not need to install this tool into any particular folder for it to work.

Make sure you installed the correct bit version for your bit version of Office.  For example, if you're using 32-bit Office, make sure you installed the 32-bit version of the tool.  Same for the 64-bit version.

To help troubleshoot the problem, verify that the add-in was installed correctly by following these steps:

Click File -> Options -> Add-Ins -> click the 'Go' button for Manage COM Add-Ins.  Make sure OneNote Word Counter is listed and has a checkmark next to it.  If it doesn't have a checkmark and you're unable to place a checkmark in it, it should give you a message that indicates the reason it was unable to load.  If it's not listed there at all, then it's probably a bit version mismatch and you'll need to uninstall and reinstall with the correct bit version.

11. David says:

It is listed in Add-Ins, it is in the toolbar and gives me a box when I click it but all the values are 0. The file is a 2007 version as I use it over several computers. Could that be the problem?

12. jeffcardon says:

Aah!  Good observation.  Yes, that is the problem.  This tool was designed to read 2010 sections and will not work with 2007 sections.  Sorry.

13. M.Ahrens says:

(in response to my previous comment) FYI, it light of the scarcity of developer documentation about OneNote Extensibility, I wrote a guide on how to extend OneNote 2010's ribbon (after finding some source code to learn from, late last year).

For those interested: http://www.malteahrens.com/blog/howto-onenote-dev/

14. Alex says:

I have the same problem as Rich. I checked the box next to the word-count add-in and still doesn't seem to be appearing in the Review tab. I am using the 2010 version of Onenote so I do not understand why its not working.

15. UKDane says:

Doesn't work for me either I'm afraid. I'm using One Note 2010 32Bit v14.0.5128.0000 The error I'm getting is:

Location: mscoree.dll

Load behavior: Not Loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM Add-in.

16. roi says:

Same error with me.

Can you please help me.

Is this add-in suppposed to be working for one note 2010?

17. Sylvs says:

Thanks a bunch works great, I love it

18. moi says:

tnx so much was so frustrated not having word count

19. Ken says:

Works great.

I agree with one poster above– a great enhancement would be to only have it count text on the page that you've highlighted.

But considering the price, I'll take it as is and thank you for it.

20. cherry says:

British reporters are known for doing almost anything to get a Mulberry Bags. But reports that a newspaper secretly listened to telephone messages of murdered schoolgirls and other private citizens have produced Mulberry Handbags and anger.

On Friday, British police arrested Andy Coulson, former editor of Mulberry Bag Britain's best-selling newspaper, News of Mulberry Outlet the World. The investigation led him to Mulberry UK Sale resign in January as communications director to Prime Minister David Cameron.

The arrest came in a widening investigation of Mulberry UK telephone hacking. Other accusations include paying police for mulberry shoulder bags information on stories. The Reuters news agency reported that Mr. Coulson was released on Mulberry Bag UK until a date in October.

Prime Minister Cameron promised Men's Mulberry Bags Friday that a judge will lead a full public inquiry into Women's Mulberry Bags the case after police complete their investigation.

DAVID CAMERON: "Murder victims, terrorist victims, families who have lost loved ones, sometimes defending our country, that these people could have had their phones hacked into, in order to generate stories for Mulberry Bags  Mulberry Handbags  Mulberry Bag   Mulberry Outlet  Mulberry UK  mulberry bayswater bag  Mulberry Alexa Bag, is simply disgusting."

21. Maria Espino says:

Does this work on a section you highlight?  For example, for school I am tasked with writing a paper of 700 words, but during my writing process I like to add in notes or whatever in the margins.  If I only want to count the words that will actually end up in my paper, without the extras, will this plug in do that?

22. Some Guy says:

Occasionally, the add-on freezes after it finishes calculation. Its window (along with OneNote) becomes unresponsive for 30 seconds and cannot be closed.

23. Stever says:

Thanks, onenote really annoyed me without word count. Now I have it – works great.

24. Tim N says:

I can't get it to appear as an add-in in OneNote 2010. I have installed, unistalled & reinstalled ensuring I use the correct 64bit installer, but I get nothing showing up in the Add-ins window at all.

Any ideas?

25. Lizzy says:

I can not get it to appear, either. I try to add it but it said that it is not a valid add-on…

26. THANK YOU! says:

I wasted an hour and then I finally googled onenote word counter. Thank you so much!

(PS. Those of you having trouble getting it to work, I installed the x86 version , instead of the x64. Works like a charm!)

27. DHLer says:

Would be a fantastic add-in, if it has the function to count words for selected text.

28. Mary Branscombe says:

Excellent news for anyone who's been using the 2007 add-in in OneNote 2010; it's great to have it in Review rather than an add-ins tab and even better that it now works when the ribbon is minimised, so I can have it on the QAT 😉 thank you so much!

29. Mary Branscombe says:

A thought: now that Windows 8 is coming along, this wonderful add-in gets flagged by SmartScreen because it's not signed – might you consider signing the installer so that no-one worries about installing it? Or get enough people to install it under Windows 8 that it gets a good app reputation! The download doesn't trigger IE's SmartScreen app rep, just installing under Windows RP (32-bit).

30. Angus Gosper says:

Thank you for your upload. However when I install mine it does not  seem to work. It just does not come up in the review area. Is there a step I've missed or is there some sort of error? I would really appreciate your help. Thank you in advanced.

31. David says:

Cheers for this

Is there no way to get a character count for just a highlighted section of text though? That can be really useful at times.

32. Tom Anderson says:

Too bad it doesn't work with OneNote 2013 preview. What's worse, now that I installed both, the add-in for 2010 seems to break due to a different xml format in the new version.

33. Jeffrey Roughgarden says:

Wonderful! Works like a charm! Thanks a bunch.

34. Steve Ono says:

Wordcount for selected text would be ideal!

This is a nice add-in to be sure but not much use to me because it counts all the words on the page. What's confusing is that it looks extremely similar to Word's wordcount which actually does count the number of words in the text that's highlighted.

A good effort by Jeff Cardon though.

35. Becky Ellis says:

OneNote 2010, 32 bit.  This add-in works beautifully!  Thank you.

36. Rebecca says:

I have a 64-bit system and I tried installing 64-bit version of this, didn't work. So i installed the 32-bit and it worked. Go figure.

37. Cath says:

I wonder if it could also be made to include a word count of a highlighted section rather than the whole page? Very clever to make this tool. Thanks heaps.

38. Jenna says:

Most people would have the 32 bit version of office on their 64 bit Win 7 installs, so would need the 32 bit version for it to work.

FYI, worked perfectly in OneNote2013

39. Blake says:

Probably doesn't work for the new Mac version does it?

40. Shona says:

It won't seem to work for me… It comes up with 0x2020: Invalid XML schema, and when i try to do the setup.exe, it says that there was an error with installing the word count

41. Cristina says:

I've just discovered this. Awesome! Thanks! ^^

42. Abigail says:

Do you have an Ad-on that will work for OS X?

43. Benjamin says:

Thanks for the tool. Works great for me.

44. Paul Falconer says:

Could you help me with word count for OneNote 365… this add in does not seem to work… thx

45. Paul Falconer says:

OK… installed the 32 Bit version and worked like a charm… so I have the solution. Thx

46. Nelson says:

Anyone know how to do this on onenote for Mac

47. Harry Nguyen says:

To keep track of the word and character count, I use this http://wordcounttools.com tool and it works like a charm. Another alternative is the http://charactercounttool.net website.

48. Sarah says:

I installed the 32-bit version, but I'm getting 0x2020: Invalid XML schema, like Shona. My setup isn't telling me that anything is wrong, though.

49. Llew says:

Thank you so much for developing this!

50. Natalie says:

I just downloaded this, and will not work. I have no idea, my laptop is HP it says when I go to download the x64 one, I either repair or remove. I've clicked repair like twice, and still no clue?

51. derJake says:

Phantastic! Thank you so much for this upload.

I still can't believe that the official office support solution is to copy-paste your text into ms word for the word count. that's worth a laugh.