An earlier name for Windows Server 2003 was Microsoft Windows .NET Server, and in the final weeks leading up the the product's release, we received the following bug from a beta tester:
When I call the
GetVersionExfunction on build 3773, the OS name is still reported as "Microsoft Windows .NET Enterprise Server". I have attached a sample program illustrating the bug.
I found this kind of confusing, because the
function doesn't return a human-readable product name.
Intriguged, I took a look at the sample program and it wasn't too hard to
see where the bug was.
The program contained the lines
if ( osvi.dwMajorVersion == 5 && osvi.dwMinorVersion == 2 ) lstrcpyn(szOS, L"Microsoft Windows .NET", MAX_PATH);
In other words, the program had the incorrect string hard-coded into it.
I reported my findings back to the person who submitted the bug, and the response was "Oops, sorry about that."