The Wikipedia app for Office has an iFrame loaded as part of the sandbox.html page. The sandbox.html page and its scripts are hosted in a sandbox domain, which is isolated from the app domain where the file Wikipedia_dev.html is hosted. The app domain is the place that the local Internet Information Services (IIS) Express starts. The sandbox.html and sandbox.js are loaded during run time when the app is started.
Download the source code
The Wikipedia app for Office is an open-source project. You can download the source code from Wikipedia App for Office source (GitHub).
Debug the Wikipedia app for Office
- Open the project in Visual Studio 2012.
- Click the Start button to debug the project.
Figure 1. Wikipedia solution in Visual Studio 2012
- Word 2013 starts, and the Wikipedia app for Office is loaded.
Figure 2. Load the Wikipedia app for Office in Word
- Insert a breakpoint in sandbox.js that is loaded during run time. For example, if we want to debug the wikipediaEventListener function, we insert a breakpoint in that function.
- Trigger the breakpoint from the Wikipedia app for Office UI.
Debug apps for Office using the DOM Explorer
This article was written by Microsoft ecosystem team’s SDET Tao Wu and content publisher Tony Liu. Program manager Michael Zlatkovsky provided valuable feedback.