Using REST Services in Silverlight 2

We have received a lot of feedback over the past few weeks asking when will be update the Silverlight library for data services. I thought I’d put up a short post to update everyone on where we are at and what our thinking is….

I’ll start by saying we are targeting Beta 2 of the Silverlight SDK (no dates to announce for this just yet) to have a version of the client library for ADO.NET Data Services. Given that we use many of the core pieces of Silverlight to enable data service interaction, we’ve waited for those to come into the platform so that we can start to round out our Silverlight experience.

The scenarios we’re looking to enable in Beta 2 are: the ability to send async queries, inserts, updates and deletes for same domain requests.  We’re still working through how we’ll enable these types of requests in cross domain scenarios.

If you have questions/comments about data services or our plans around Silverlight and data services please leave a comment here or on our online forum:

Mike Flasko

Program Manager, ADO.NET Data Services Framework

1. Ben Hayat says:

Hi Mike;

Thanks for the update; Question here:

>>I’ll start by saying we are targeting Beta 2 of the Silverlight SDK (no dates to announce for this just yet) to have a version of the client library for ADO.NET Data Services<<

Do you think we can also get our hands on Astoria4SL when SL Beta 2 becomes available? So far, the SL and Blend team had tried to coordinates their releases together, so we can use them both together. Now we have the third element in the formula (Astoria). So, it’s release timing also becomes crucial as how SL become usable for developing LOB Apps.

Thanks!

..Ben

2. shaggygi says:

Thanks for info.  Do you mean that the Data Services  will be available the same time SL2 B2 is released or will we have to wait weeks+ afterwards.

3. Mike Flasko says:

Thanks for all the comments.  We’ll try to get the Astoria library right into the SL2 Beta2 SDK package, so when you download that you just get the Astoria library.

4. Sam Gentile says:

I am having a blast on my latest gig which has me using many different technologies at the same time

5. Arun says:

This is a bit frustrating. I just want the webclient.dll for SL2. Why can’t you just release that one DLL as an update. The complete library can come with SL2 Beta 2.

6. BenHayat says:

>>Why can’t you just release that one DLL as an update.<<

Arun, My best guess is that, the new webclient.dll you’re referring to, works with SL beta 2 and you [and the rest of us] don’t have beta 2 to work with.

There is a lot going on here getting ready for beta 2. Between VS update (for SL), SL SDK, Blend  and Astoria.

7. Any hope for out-of-the box databinding and change tracking support on data client? I understand that the POCO is a good thing to have, but a working databindable (VS generated) client entity library is urgent. I’ve found conflicting informations on MSDN Forums about databinding/change tracking support in v1.

Anyway, thank you for all that you have done, keep up the good work!

8. Mike Flasko says:

Thanks for the comments….

We likely wont be able to fit first class binding support and change tracing into V1.  That said all the classes we generate are partial to give as much flexibility as we can.  That said, this is definately an area we want to extend support on in future.

-Mike

9. Sanjeev says:

Cross Domain Requests – the ability to send async queries, inserts, updates and deletes for Cross  domain requests from SilverLight is critical for one my intended projects. I see that It is not implemented in Beta2 of Silverlight.

What is the timeframe?? is it going to be through the use of CrossDomain Policy XML files similar to the WCF implementation??

This Information will allow me to start development with the knowledge that the solution will work when Cross Domain is supported.

Please Respond.

– Sanjeev

10. In the Silverlight world, the sole protocol you need to care about is the HTTP protocol. Yet, you can

11. Computer Repair says:

Really simple guide, has given me an idea for a blog of my friends.