Failed to install the product: Drive Name:globaloserver.msi error code: 1603(0x643) error when installing sharepoint 2013

Today when installing a virtual development environment for Sharepoint 2013 I got

"SharePoint Server 2013 encountered an error during setup" 

error. When I checked the details of the error in error log file  

I found an entry

"Failed to install the product: c:\global\oserver.msi error code: 1603(0x643) error when istalling sharepoint 2013"

I tried many different things but the solution was very interesting:) Virtual machine was using just one CPU. After increasing the processor on virtual machine from 1 to 4 magic happened and installation finished successfully.

Comments (26)

  1. I've been BATTLING this issue for a full day now and I am really in a surly mood over it. If for whatever reason changing the number of CPUs from 1 to 4 does not work, you might want to try this (worked for me after nothing else did):

    1. Before exiting setup, examine the log file in users{user}appdatalocaltempsharepoint server*.log.

    2. See if there is an error where ARPWRITE returns result code 3

    3. If so, download the ORCA tool from the Windows SDK (ORCA allows you to modify MSI files)

    4. In Explorer, locate the globaloserver.msi file in your SharePoint 2013 install tree.

    5. Right-click the MSI and specify 'Edit with Orca'

    6. Select the InstallExecuteSequence table.

    7. Locate the ArpWrite action, right-click, Drop Row

    8. File->Save

    9. Rerun SP2013 Setup as usual.

  2. Tony Yin says:

    CraigAJohnson, your suggestion works for me. Thanks!

  3. Mario says:

    After my 3rd unsuccessful attempt I Googled and found this post.  Switching to 4 VProcessors did the trick.

    Thanks for sharing…


  4. Alexey says:

    It works! Great thanks

  5. Tom says:

    Orca is a life-saver.  Thanks Craig!!  Your suggestion worked for me.

  6. Jim says:

    Changed the processor from 1 to 4 and it didn't work at first, but did after 2-3 attempts. Thanks much! You guys are great!

  7. Mohamed Moussalam says:

    Dear all, the solution that worked for me was increasing the number of processors and cores (more than 1) i ran the setup again and it worked fine i hope it helps

  8. Alexandre David says:

    Thanks @CraigAJohnson, editing the MSI worked for me also.

    Juste don"t know why I add to edit it ??

  9. ksreddy says:

    Works well, no need of increase of VCPUS…..thanks a lot

  10. Tom says:

    Increasing the number of virtual CPU's (Hyper-V) up to 4 solved the problem above. Thank's a lot!

  11. Wouter says:

    Worked for me. Great, Thanks!!

  12. Meindert says:

    Yeah, worked like a charm! Thanks!

  13. David Kotyza says:

    Thx God for your post! You saved my soul! Thx so much!

  14. Nicolas Decomble says:

    For me, the installation off update KB2768703 resolved this issue… I'm afraid of modifying the msi install because of the unknown new issues !

  15. Fadi says:

    Thanks a lot Craig

  16. Artūrs Aleksāns says:


    I came over this error during installation of SharePoint 2013 SP1 using AutoSPInstaller from Codeplex.

    I tried to follow the approach that was described by Craig until 7th step. Even opening ORCA with Administrator privileges (or UAT disabled), file was Read Only and I couldn't Drop the Row. Then I realized, that the issue was due to NTFS permissions. I came to the root folder of my installation package and through Properties->Security->Advanced I rewrote all subfolder permissions ensuring that local Administrators and SYSTEM have full control on all files in my package. Then installation worked as expected.

  17. Jar28 says:

    Please don't that! its not recommended solution my MS

    @Nicolas – you made smart move

    unknowns issues are known now 😉

    1. you will not get latest patch applied – manage patch status not configured

    2. sharepoint 2013 services running not configured

    3. you will never be able to uninstall SharePoint as you will not be able to see SharePoint in Program and Features

    Go right here:…/sharepoint-server-2013-installation-why-arpwrite-action-fails

  18. Eduardo says:

    Thank you so much, that was really helpful. I would never get it on my own.

  19. Dragan R says:

    I worked with Microsoft Engineers to find the root cause of the error. We discovered a missing registry key at HKLM:SOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindowsInstaller

    I wrote a fix script and posted it on our Blog:

  20. Josh says:

    This is the second time I've run into this issue and your post, once again saved me a ton of time. I'm adding it to my documentation this time 🙂

    The crazy thing is, I created 2 VMs from the same sysprep'd file and followed the steps to prep for install at the same time. Upon install, 1 succeeded, 1 failed. Very odd. In any case, thanks!

  21. Andries Martins says:

    thanks CraigAJohnson. Have been working with SP2013 for a while now but never encountered this before. However I was trying to install SP2013 SP1 on a Windows Server 2012 R2 VM server and this was driving me nuts for the last two days. This worked for me, thanks !!

  22. Kurt says:

    Updated Processors and RAM worked for me.  

  23. TommyKR says:

    @Dragan – Life saver! Thank you! I built a whole new VM before resolving this.

  24. Greenman37 says:

    Also, check the Power Options in the server BIOS and change from Performance to Balanced. This was the fix for a similar reported issue when installing Office Web Apps, and it worked for our Sharepoint 2013 install after many, many frustrating hours.

Skip to main content