Now in our fifth year with the most successful competition thus far, the 2011 Microsoft Imagine Cup saw nearly 300 entries and over 1500 students engaged in a competition that has truly taken flight in New Zealand.
Each team gathered on the 12th of April ready to deliver a presentation that would stun and excite the judges. Each team presented twice to a mix panel of 20 judges from industry, media, academia and Microsoft. Concluding the grueling presentations, each team had the opportunity to showcase their project to the public, to our customers, partners, supporters, family and friends.
Everyone was then invited to join us at the Finals Ceremony, where the top 4 teams were announced and presented again in front of a live audience and an elite group of judges whom then decided the ranking of the top 4 teams.
Team OneBuzz from the University of Auckland emerged as the victors following a series of 15-minute presentations before the six-judge panel. Focusing on tackling malaria with sophisticated technology that would identify areas of high risk and provide real time information to those concerned to act! Revolutionising The Fight Against Malaria !
A huge thank you to everyone who has helped make this a fantastic event! All the teams and mentors for making this an extremely outstanding event! The Microsoft Imagine Cup Crew of Student helpers on the day, 32 in total. Our key sponsors on the day, the ISOM Department and the Business School, University of Auckland. A big thank you to Red Bull for keeping the students on the go throughout the day!
Highlights from the Microsoft Imagine Cup NZ Festival below or check out our Facebook Page
– 300 Software Design Submissions
– 1500+ Students competitors
– 800+ Attendees at the Festival
– 25 External judges
– 80 Student competitors, 60, Industry, Microsoft and Academic Mentors
– 32 Student Helpers volunteering on the day
– 150 Spot prizes including t-shirts and Movie Tickets
– Ben Hurley (NZ Comedian Hosting the event), DJ General Lee ( Hosting the after party)
– 200 Lunch Boxes, 500 Hot Dogs, 200 Pizzas and a whole lot of Red Bull (1000+)
– $20,000 In prize money won on the night.
– 8000+ Fans through the People’s Choice Award Campaign
– 550 Registered attendees for the Festival
– Top 4 Teams – 1st Place – Team OneBuzz, 2nd Place – Team MCG, 3rd Place – Team SkyEye, 4th Place – Team Kai