Awesome Screen Image + Video Capture with Jing

TechSmith, makers of my (up to now) favorite SnagIt and Camtasia have created the Jing Project, a new screen image & video capture tool.  It is slick, simple, easy, and fun.  I just installed it and am loving it.  Right now it's complete FREE, thanks TechSmith.  It hooks up to to make sharing online easy and has a wonderfully smooth user workflow.

The How-To Geek blog has done a great review, so to get the details, check out their post Capture and Share Images and Videos the Easy Way.

Jing Capture

(thanks to the How-To Geek blog for the pic here too)

btw, Jing has a nice blog too, and talk about showing off new features with the most perfect little video, check this out, wish all new release notices were this simple & effective, inspiring

Update (6/12/08), 20% Features, 80% Usefulness:  After having used Jing for a little while now, I’ve got a report on it’s usefulness…  So Jing has both static image & video screen capture, but it is a small subset of features compared to using SnagIt & Camtasia, it has like 20% of the features, but they’re the features that are used 80% of the time.  For example, for static screen captures, you can annotate the capture with arrows, boxes, highlighting, and text with Jing, which is what I’d do 80% of the time with SnagIt, but Jing doesn’t have some of the more unique annotations like clipart, torn edges, borders, etc that SnagIt does.  So I’ve found that I’m using Jing 80% of the time and the other 20% I pull up SnagIt or Camtasia.  I’d recommend using Jing first, and if you need more, then try SnagIt or Camtasia.

Comments (2)

  1. Nice tip. I haven’t seen the guide in how to geek before. Thanks!

    PS. If you are a Snagit user, please help me with input for Snagit 9:

  2. Noah Coad says:

    Update: We've been using this for years now and love it more as time goes on!  The _super_ quick annotation tools (arrow & text box) are perfect.  We use it to visually show instructions, create bug entries, show UI updates, record sprint demos, and regularly find more uses.  Definitely a Top-10 tool.

    (can't edit my old blog anymore so need to update w comments, see current blog at and more tools at

Skip to main content