I would like to let readers know that most of material that I have on my blog in regard of Fusion and VC++ libs, manifests and other side-by-side things, all or most of this is already available in a form of VC++ docs online on http://msdn2.microsoft.com. It is actually online for quite some time, but it looks like folks still do not know about this site. Let me give you some overview of topics:
- Deployment section (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zebw5zk9(en-US,VS.80).aspx)
- Deeply hidden before, this section was brought up to the top level and contains answers to questions on how to deploy VC++ applications to another computer. It goes over practices, different deployment model (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235316(en-US,VS.80).aspx) and examples (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235285)
- Building SxS C++ Apps and assemblies (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235532(en-US,VS.80).aspx)
- Contains general information on manifest in C++ apps and dlls. Also high level description of how manifest is generated by VC++ IDE.
I would like to specifically mention two topics that should answer two most frequent questions:
- how to embedded manifest inside a binary using makefiles (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235591(en-US,VS.80).aspx)
- troubleshooting (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235342(en-US,VS.80).aspx).
Hope this may help you find information you are looking for. Also I would like to mention that Martyn has moved his blog to a new location (http://blogs.msdn.com/martynl/). One of his recent posts describes in details why VC++ had to change deployment model for VC++ DLLs, http://blogs.msdn.com/martynl/archive/2005/10/13/480880.aspx. Take a look and feel free to ask any questions.