The second release of a Platform Preview (PP) for Internet Explorer 10 is now available. In this PP2, the IE team has implemented a very big number of new site-ready HTML5 technologies and continued working on improving performance.
As a web of front-end developer, you can now download this standalone version, test the features, play with it and give feedback back to Microsoft.
Some of the new technologies include:
- Positioned Floats
- CSS3 Gradients (on all image types)
- CSS stylesheet limit lifted
- CSSOM Floating Point Value support
- Improved hit testing APIs
- Media Query Listeners
- HTML5: Support for async attribute on script elements
- HTML5 Drag and Drop
- HTML5 File API
- HTML5 Sandbox
- HTML5 Web Workers
Recommended resources and further reading
- Download IE10 PP2 at http://ietestdrive.com
- New demos can be found at the same IE Test drive site
- Official blog post: Site-ready HTML5: Second IE10 Platform Preview Available for Developers (IE Engineering Team blog)
- Internet Explorer 10 Platform Preview Guide for Developers at MSDN (don’t forget to check the sub-sections via the left navigation)
Furthermore, Microsoft continues working on experimental standards by providing Prototypes through HTML5 Labs. This is the case for IndexedDB, WebSockets, Media Capture API and FileAPI, which has now been added to IE10 PP2.