Increase technical readiness, accelerate deployment, fuel usage and boost platform adoption.
· Conflict: As you fill the last empty slot on the server rack, a question comes to mind, "Why so many server boxes? Is there a better way?”
· Resolution: By using Microsoft Windows Server 2008 and virtualization, you can consolidate the total number of physical servers running on both Windows and Linux operating systems.
· Benefit: Interoperable
· Products and Technologies: Windows Server 2008 R2, System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2007 R2, Hyper-V
· Top online technical assets to help you deploy and provide further support:
Powering the Desktop
· Conflict: “With the data center humming along, you turn to the desktop. System Center reveals pockets of Windows XP, Windows Vista and even Windows 2000.”
· Resolution: Evaluating Windows 7 and looking at best practices for configuration and deployment is going to help rationalize the desktop and reduce costs.
· Benefit: Familiar and supported
· Products and Technologies : Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack, System Center Configuration Manager 2007, MED-V, App-V, Remote Desktop Services
· Top online technical assets to help you deploy and provide further support: Across three chapters you will get an overview of options for deploying Windows 7, alternative desktop models using virtualization and using application virtualization to package and distribute your application portfolio.
1. Chapter 1 Deploying a Modern OS, such as Windows 7: Focuses on deployment of an actual Windows 7 Client. The majority of the information covers the technologies that make deploying a Windows 7 client easier, either deploying as a new client, upgrading from Windows Vista or migrating from Windows XP.
2. Chapter 2 – Reducing Desktop Costs by Virtualizing the Desktop: Walks through the desktop virtualization options. This section covers Remote Desktop Services and MED-V. The information describes each technology is and when to use it.
3. Chapter 3 Reducing Desktop Costs through Application Virtualization: Dives into Application virtualization. This final segment focuses on technologies that allow older applications to run side-by-side with new applications without causing conflicts.
· Conflict: “My work force wants access to information and people regardless of the device they use. The ability to instantly see the status of colleagues and chat with them is a business requirement. They want to be communicating via voice, email or video and access corporate information anywhere anytime. I want to embrace this new thinking, but I have responsibly to keep our network and information secure."
· Resolution: Office Communication Server combined with Live Meeting and the Office Communicator client allows you to provide a VoIP and conference solution your work force can use anywhere. With Exchange Server, you can integrate all your messages (including fax and voice mail messages) into one inbox and provide access via any Device.
· Benefit: Simplified Communications Management and Security
· Products and Technologies: Office Communications Server 2007 R2, Exchange Server 2010, Office Communicator 2007 R2, Office Communicator Mobile 2007 R2, Office Live Meeting 2007, VOIP, Unified Conferencing, Unified Messaging, Instant Message
· By implementing this simplified communications solution, an organization can realize both cost savings and environmental benefits. These top resources provide additional details on these benefits:
Datacenter Wizard: Managing a Complex Heterogeneous Virtualized Environment
· Conflict: “Now that I have my data center virtualization up to speed, how am I going to manage the data center, and while I am at it, how about all my other stuff?”
· Resolution: The Microsoft System Center family of products allows IT managers and administrators to control and manage all the assets (physical and virtual), including a Non-Windows platform (Linux) from a single console.
· Benefit: Easier Management
· Products and Technologies: Windows Server 2008 R2, System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2, System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R2, System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008, PowerShell V2, Systems Management, Scripting
· Top online technical assets to help you deploy and provide further support: Across three chapters you will get an overview of how Microsoft Systems Center Virtual Machine Manager effectively manages an expansive heterogeneous virtualized environment.
1. Chapter 1: Managing your Microsoft World: The first part of this episode covers an introduction to management. The episode introduces Essentials 2007 and Operations Manager 2007 R2 as the primary best of breed tools to manage a Microsoft environment.
2. Chapter 2: Managing your Virtual World: This second part of this episode covers management of virtual images using System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM). The focus is on virtual scenarios and the features within SCVMM that help enable better management of virtual images and benefits of virtualization.
3. Chapter 3: Managing your Entire World: This final part of the episode concentrates on the new Cross-Platform functionality and connectors in System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2 that helps deliver a unified management experience for the modern datacenter.
· Conflict: “Customers are using my self-service site, but my employees are still manually passing data and processing requests”
· Resolution: Using SharePoint, you can create internal team portals to respond to customer requests and applications, gaining the full benefit of an end-to-end solution.
· Products and Technologies: Office SharePoint Server and Collaboration
· Benefit: Connecting people and information
· Top online technical assets to help you deploy and provide further support to improve organizational collaboration with SharePoint:
1. Chapter 1: focuses on what SharePoint offers in collaboration, the thought Microsoft has put into the product to make it easy to install, configure and manage for the IT Department as well as ease to use for End Users.