The Offline Virtual Machine Servicing Tool 2.0 helps organizations maintain virtual machines that are stored offline in a Microsoft® System Center Virtual Machine Manager library. While stored, virtual machines do not receive operating system updates. The tool provides a way to keep offline virtual machines up-to-date so that bringing a virtual machine online does not introduce vulnerabilities into the organization’s IT infrastructure.
The Offline Virtual Machine Servicing Tool combines the Windows Workflow programming model with the Windows PowerShell™ interface to bring groups of virtual machines online just long enough for them to receive updates from either System Center Configuration Manager 2007 or Windows Server Update Services. As soon as the virtual machines are up-to-date, the tool returns them to the offline state in the Virtual Machine Manager library.
This Solution Accelerator includes the following components:
- Brief Overview. Available online only on Microsoft TechNet. Summary for business and technical managers that briefly explains how this Solution Accelerator can fit into an organization’s IT infrastructure management strategy.
- OfflineVMServicing_x64 and OfflineVMServicing_x86. Setup files for the tool, for 64 bit and 32 bit versions on Microsoft® System Center Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) 2007 or 2008.
- Offline Virtual Machine Servicing Tool Getting Started Guide. Provides information about how the tool works, explains prerequisites for the tool, and describes how to install and configure the tool.
- Offline_VM_Servicing_Tool_2.0_Release_Notes.rtf. Notes provide information about this release, describe known issues in the tool, and include feedback instructions.
- Offline_Virtual_Machine_Servicing_Tool_Help. Help file for the tool. Provides instructions for using the tool.
- Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003 R2 (32-Bit x86); Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 editions; Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2; Windows Server 2008
- Other Requirements: Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) 2007 or 2008
- Click the Download button to start the download.
- Uninstall any previous installation of the Office Virtual Machine Servicing Tool before proceeding with the installation instructions below.
- Do one of the following:
- To start the .zip file extraction immediately, click Open or Run this program from its current location. Then extract the files to your preferred location on your computer. Note Release Notes and Getting Started Guide are available in the .zip package outside the .msi files for optional viewing before tool installation.
- To save the download to your preferred location on your computer for .zip file extraction at a later time, click Save or Save this program to disk.
- To install the .msi package (OfflineVMServicing_X86.msi or OfflineVMServicing_X64.msi)
- Navigate to where you extracted the .zip file content on your hard drive.
- Double-click the .msi file you want to install.
- Accept the Microsoft Software License Terms.
- Follow the steps in the installation process to complete the installation.
- Find the installed files in C:\Program Files on your computer in the folder Microsoft Offline Virtual Machine Servicing Tool.
The full details of this download and associated information can be found here - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8408ecf5-7afe-47ec-a697-eb433027df73&displaylang=en&tm.