Today Microsoft announced some significant changes to its licensing and support policies for applications in hardware virtualization environments. There are two key parts of the announcement worth highlighting for Exchange customers:
- Microsoft now supports Exchange Server 2007 SP1 running Hyper-V or hypervisors validated under the Microsoft Server Virtualization Validation Program (SVVP).
- Microsoft is waiving its 90-day license reassignment policy to enable customers who virtualize Exchange to move their licenses between servers within a data farm as often as necessary.
As part of the updated support policies, we have published an article called Microsoft Support Policies and Recommendations for Exchange Servers in Hardware Virtualization Environments. This article includes Microsoft’s support policy and recommendations for running Exchange Server 2003 in a Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 environment. It replaces Microsoft Knowledge Base article 320220, which previously detailed the policy and recommendations for this environment. In addition, this article includes Microsoft’s support policy and Microsoft’s recommendations for running Exchange Server 2007 SP1 in a hardware virtualization environment.
Microsoft Support Policies and Recommendations for Exchange Servers in Hardware Virtualization Environments is a must-read for anyone considering a virtualized Exchange environment.
To learn more about the Microsoft-wide changes to licensing and support, see:
- Microsoft press release – http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2008/aug08/08-19EasyPathPR.mspx
- Volume Licensing Brief from WWLP – http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/volbrief.mspx
- Support policy for Microsoft software running in non-Microsoft hardware virtualization software – http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=3052&kbid=897615
- Support partners for non-Microsoft hardware virtualization software – http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=3052&kbid=944987
- Microsoft server software and supported virtualization environments – http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=3052&kbid=957006