SP1 for WSS 3.0 and Office SharePoint Server 2007 has been release. Before you install the service pack there are some very important things to understand. In this post I’ll try to provide you with the resources you need to be successful in updating to the latest service pack. It is essential that you understand the appropriate guidance and test out the patch in a separate test environment. For this purpose we have put together a special SP1 page on TechNet to guide you through the process. The more you know the better prepared you’ll be for updating your environment.
Overview and What’s Included
For information on what’s included in the service pack view the Announcing WSS 3.0 and MOSS SP1 article from TechNet. This information will be important from both a business and technical perspective to support installing SP1. The KB “Description of Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Service Pack 1 and of Windows SharePoint Services Language Pack 3.0 Service Pack 1” in addition is a must read. It includes a link to a list of fixes included in WSS SP1. For Office SharePoint Server 2007 SP1 another KB has been posted with a downloadable Office Servers list of fixes.
Note: On SharePoint Server 2007 environments, WSS 3.0 SP1 should be installed before SharePoint Server 2007 SP1.
Critical Planning and Deployment & Installation Information
Next before installing each service pack please read the corresponding planning and deployment guidance which is critical to a smooth update:
How to obtain and to install the service packs
Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 SP1 and Windows SharePoint Services Language Pack 3.0 SP1 are located at the Microsoft Download Center. To download the service packs and to obtain installation instructions and deployment strategies, visit the following Microsoft Web sites:
WSS 3.0 SP1
- SP1 existing deployments:
- Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 SP1, 32-bit edition and 64-bit edition
- Windows SharePoint Services Language Pack 3.0 SP1, 32-bit edition, 64-bit edition
- WSS 3.0 with SP1 for new installations:
- WSS with SP1 Slipstream – Not to confuse you, but to simplify installation we have created a special WSS with SP1 slipstream which essentially it is the full WSS 3.0 with SP1. It is designed to make installs, especially on Windows Server 2008, easier. Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 with Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 SP1 32-bit edition, 64-bit edition
Office SharePoint Server 2007
- Office SharePoint Server 2007 SP1 (includes SP1 for Project Server, Forms Server, and Groove) 32-bit edition and 64-bit edition
- Office SharePoint Server 2007 Language Pack 3.0 SP1 32-bit edition, 64-bit edition
SharePoint Designer 2007
Patches for all Office System products are available on Microsoft Update (recommended), Office Update and the Download Center with a few exceptions. Windows SharePoint Services and the WSS Language Packs are live on Windows Update and Microsoft Update. For those customers with low bandwidth, CDs will be available for order after January 15th for a small shipping and handling fee from a link off the Download Details page.