Dynamics NAV and Windows Server 2016

Windows Server 2016 released in October 2016 with many new and interesting capabilities. For more information, see their announcement here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/cloud-platform/windows-server

Over the last few months, the Dynamics NAV team has been testing compatibility with this new version of Windows Server, and we are now proud to announce that

• Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2017,
  • Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2016,
  • Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2015,
  • Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 R2, and
  • Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013

are compatible with Windows Server 2016. This applies to the following editions of Windows Server:

• Standard Edition
  • Essentials Edition
  • Datacenter Edition

The blog post was updated on 11. January 2016 to also mention Datacenter Edition.

1. Holger Ertel says:

Hi NAV team, is the second section really correct?
    “Over the last few month… testing compatibility with this new version of SQL Server,… ”

Should it be:
    “Over the last few month … testing compatibility with this new version of WINDOWS server …” (instead of SQL Server)?

Why is the Windows Server 2016 DATACENTER Edition not compatible/supported?

1. Dear Holger Ertel,

Thanks for mentioning the typo, it has been corrected. As to support for datacenter edition, this decision was taken before I joined as a program manager, I don’t know the reasons for this. But I do know that internally, we do test on Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Edition, and haven’t found any issues at all

2. Data center edition is now supported, see updated blog post

2. Matthias Rabus says:

Hi navteam,
    should the sentence “Windows Server 2016 released in October this year…” be “Windows Server 2016 released in October LAST year…”.

Regarding the datacenter edition, I would guess compatibility has not been tested does not mean it is not compatible.

Regards

1. Dear Matthias Rabus,

Please see my answer to Holger Ertel above… 🙂

2. Data center edition is now supported, see updated blog post

1. Holger Ertel says:

Sensational! The Windows Server 2016 Datacenter is now supported! Thank you very much. It will make many customers (but also partners) happy! Today is a very good day :-).

3. guido robben says:

I had a lot if issues. I would wait… Backup and restore is broken.

1. Dear Guido Robben,

I’m not sure what you mean by “Backup and restore is broken” in regards to support for Windows Server. Can you elaborate?

Regards,
      Kennie Nybo Pontoppidan

4. Holger Ertel says:

@navteam: Thanks for the correction.

5. Gert Lynge says:

With real certificates (i.e. NOT self signed) I’ve had to also install it in “trusted people” otherwise the NAV web-client cannot validate the trust chain of the NAV servers certificate (according to event viewer) and you get an error when you try to login to the web-client using NavUserPassword authentication. I’ve seen it on two different Windows Server 2016s with NAV 2016 CU4 and NAV 2017 RTM. As soon you also add the certificate to “trusted people” on the server (it is ok to add it without the private key part) the error is gone… Anyone else seeing this?
    I have not had time to report it to the support yet as I would like to reproduce it on azure with a NAV gallery server first…

1. Gert Lynge says:

Btw: the exact error is “The X.509 certificate CN= is not in the trusted people store. The X.509 certificate CN= chain building failed. The certificate that was used has a trust chain that cannot be verified. Replace the certificate or change the certificateValidationMode. The revocation function was unable to check revocation because the revocation server was offline.”.
      I have testet retrieval of the revocation list manually – and it worked perfectly from the same server (so the revocation server is not offline)…

1. Pallea says:

@Gert Lynge – Have you tried if NAV 2017 U1 is having the same issues?

1. Gert Lynge says:

Yes – also on NAV 2017 CU1.
          I had already upgraded the NAV 2017 server with CU1 and just re-tested removing the certificate from “trusted people” and the error came back: not able to login to webclient and the error in event viewer…
          Reinstalling the certificate (without private key) in “trusted people” solves it…
          I’ve been contacted by a MS employee – so we’ll probably start a case on it (although I still did not have time to recreate the issue on a Azure gallery NAV server).

1. Hi Gert,

I had the same problema and I get to fix it as follow:
            In the App pool “Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2017 Web Client Application Pool” go to “Advanced configuration” and change the “True” to “False” in the parameter “Load user profile” (or something like this)(In spanish “Cargar perfil de usuario”) from the section “Process Model” (“Modelo de proceso” in spanish).
            Restart App pool,…. and….. tachan….fixed.

2. MNCOMPUTERGUY says:

Is this some sort of bug in nav 2017. I recently had an issue where a nav web service would not allow logon and the logs showed this error
            The X.509 certificate CN=nav.customer.com, OU=Domain Control Validated is not in the trusted people store. The X.509 certificate CN=nav.customer.com, OU=Domain Control Validated chain building failed. The certificate that was used has a trust chain that cannot be verified. Replace the certificate or change the certificateValidationMode. The revocation function was unable to check revocation because the revocation server was offline.

The cert is a valid public cert from godaddy.

The only thing that fixed it was exporting the cert and importing into the trusted people store which I can’t recall ever having to do for a nav install (or any other install for that matter)

2. Gert Lynge says:

Just want to make you all aware that I cannot reproduce the problem when using the Windows 2016/NAV 2017 Azure Gallery Image at http://aka.ms/navdeploy. It works – even with my certificate.
      I’m still investigating why my own servers still have this error – they were setup by me by hand and not by script. So I apparently did something wrong although i believe i followed the procedure which worked for me in the past on Windows 2013R2 servers.
      I’ll let you know when i find the error.
      Sorry for the noise – it seems that the cause was me doing something wrong – and not Windows 2016/NAV 2017.

1. Gert Lynge says:

It seems that a parameter in IIS was incorrect on my servers compared to the Azure Gallery server.
        If you experience the same error, open IIS Manager. Open Advanced settings on Application Pools / Micorsoft Dynamics NAV 2017 Web Client Application Pool. Locate Process Model/Load User Profile and make sure it is set to False (Default is true).
        I’m also bloggin about it here (in Danish): http://blog.systemconnect.dk/?p=1075

6. Stefan Omdahl says:

There is a description how certificates are used/configured in this document:

Basically Moving a certificate from trusted people, requires that the cert can be validated, and has a revocation list. It can either be imported next to the CA (issuer) or ensure that the NAV Server service account has access to request and download. Should be clear from reading the documentation in the above link.

1. Gert Lynge says:

Thanks for Your answer.

I believe I’ve followed that exact description – just leaving out the “self signing” and using a real certificate. And I’ve also looked through the link “navteam” without seeing anything obvious I’ve missed.
      And the procedure is working perfectly on Windows Server 2012R2s – just not on Windows Server 2016s.

Could You please elaborate on “or ensure that the NAV Server service account has access to request and download. Should be clear from reading the documentation in the above link.”.
      I don’t see any description on how to grant the NAV service user access to request and download the revocation list. Or at least it is not clear to me. And it is obvious that it is exactly what I’m missing.
      Is it possible for You to link to a description on how to grant the access or write the needed steps here?
      Thank You in advantage.

1. Gert Lynge says:

See my comment above. I cannot reproduce the error with the the Windows 2016/NAV 2017 Azure Gallery Image at http://aka.ms/navdeploy. It works with my certificate.
        I’ll let you know when I find out what I did wrong on my servers.

1. Gert Lynge says:

7. Jakub Vanak says:

It would be very nice to have support for Windows Core as well in the near future.

1. Martonn says:

That would be awesome!

2. Dear Jakub Vanak and Martonn

What would support for Windows Core enable you to do?

1. Rob Waldron says:

Windows Server Core is the recommended OS of choice hosting services as per the article from the Windows Server team: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/hybridcloud/2017/06/15/delivering-continuous-innovation-with-windows-server/

Server Core should no longer be looked at as a secondary, but as the primary OS you should be targeting.

1. Dear Rob Waldron,

Let me look into this and get back to you. Thanks for reaching out

Best,
          Kennie

2. Dear Rob Waldron,

We have now looked into supporting Dynamics NAV on Windows 2016 Server Core. This is definitely on our radar, as the core edition is a foundation for Docker, which we are working on supporting for dev and test environments. Unfortunately, supporting Dynamics NAV on Windows 2016 Server Core is not something we can do overnight (as in test and declare support), as there are a handful of Dynamics NAV components, which currently does not work on the core edition.

Yours sincerely,