Cumulative Update 1 for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2015 has been released

Cumulative Update 1 includes all application and platform hotfixes and regulatory features that have been released for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2015.

The cumulative update includes hotfixes that apply to all countries and hotfixes specific to the following local versions:

•   AU – Australia
  •   NO – Norway
  •   NZ – New Zealand
  •   RU – Russia
  •   SE – Sweden
  •   UK – United Kingdom

Where to find Cumulative Update 1

You can download the cumulative update from KB 3013215  – Cumulative Update 1 for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2015 (Build 38457). The cumulative update was temporarily unavailable for download, but it is now available again. The new set of download packages contain the DVD image and the Application folder only. The files in the new download packages have the exact same build number as the files in the original download. The new download will give you the same options for patching both new and current installations of Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2015. You can either install the new image or you can unpack the image and copy/paste files from the DVD folder structure.

Upgrade Toolkit for Upgrading Data from Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 R2 or SP1 to Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2015

The cumulative update includes an upgrade toolkit for upgrading a Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 R2 or Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1 database to Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2015. The upgrade toolkit includes several application objects in FOB files that simplify the upgrade process for those of you coming from Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 R2 or Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1. For more information, see the attached whitepaper.

—- This blog post was updated on 13. November 2014 —-

Upgrading NAV 2009 R2 or NAV 2009 SP1 Database to NAV 2015.pdf

1. xga says:

Seems that French version is missing in download section,

Xavier.

2. Pallea says:

Hello guys

Would it be possible to rename the image-files in the future with at bit more "saying" name like NAV80DK_Update_x.ZIP…. it is quite annoying that EVERYBODY has to rename the files in order to keep af library of releases.

Furthermore it IS a bit confusing and also stupid that folder names like RTC, WEB CLIENT etc does not match the foldernames that the files needs to be moved into.

Kind Regards

Palle

3. Martin Nielander says:

@Palle

We are naming the image files like this [Prdoduct Group].[Version].[Country].[Build Number].DVD.zip. If you want to keep a library then consider to base it on the build number.

In regards to your other comment then I can see that the folders, to some extend, match the DVD folders:

ADCS = ADCS

Application = This folder is only in the specific CU

BPA = BPA

Help Server = HelpServer

NST = ServiceTier

OUTLOOK = Outlook

RTC = RoleTailoredClient

Upgrade Toolkit = UpgradeToolkit

Web Client = WebClient

WindowsPowerShellScripts = WindowsPowerShellScripts

It is the first time I hear that the folder naming is confusing 🙂 But I hope above list makes sense to you?

/Martin

4. Pallea says:

@Martin

For NAV 2015 take a look:

But Martin, I have just downloaded the W1 release here the DVD name is W1DVD.ZIP

For the danish it is Dynamics.80.DK.1569017.DVD.zip

For NAV 2013 R2:

Dynamics.71.DK.1569082.DVD.zip – Danish version

DVD_BUILD38455.zip – for the W1

Så the naming dos not quite match what you are writing, or I am missing something 😉 ?

When it comes to foldernames I still find it ok not confusing but "silly" to give it folder names that does not match the folders where the application is installed. Endusers and the new C5 consultants finds is quite annoying…

5. Martin Nielander says:

@ Xavier

I cannot see anything missing, please verify if the problem persists.

@Palle

You are absolutely right in regards to the different builds. So let me see if I can paint the Picture.

All builds have their own individual build number due to the fact that the builds are individual. The W1 build is typical the base build for all local builds, but all builds are still individual. I get your point about missing and inconsistent naming of the W1 builds and will see if we can get the W1 build naming changed.

In regards to folder names, then it has been like this for almost ten years, and idea is/was that it should be easy to replace files in the DVD image and continuously maintain a DVD image. Now that might be superfluous now that we also include the complete DVD image in the download and somehow I had hoped to get a comment indicating that the individual folders no longer are needed.

A consideration could though be to create a kb article outlining the mapping between the DVD folders and the install folders.

6. @Martin: I must agree with Pallea about the filenames. I find myself renaming files every month, too.

When I download the version for Belgium the downloaded file is 479726_NLD_i386_zip.exe

When I download the Dutch version the downloaded file is 479737_NLD_i386_zip.exe

Both files have NLD in the name, but they are quite different. The NLD in the Belgium should imho be changed to NLB

7. Martin Nielander says:

@Jan

I get the point and will see if we can get this changed till the next set of cumulative updates.

8. Salva says:

I would like to mention, as a suggestion, that it would be useful if there was an RTC folder without the designer, and every other folder not needed for a ClickOnce deployment. As it currently stands, and unless I'm missing something, there is no easy way to patch a ClickOnce installation folder.

P.S. Although I'm used to the way the folders are named, I must agree that some (like NST) are a bit confusing.

Regards,

Salva.

9. Pallea says:

@Martin

My point is EXACTLY that there is no folder called RTC !!! Look at the folder structure

I have just taken the NAV 2015 Update 1 – W1 version

it is called:

"RTC" – Folder is called "RoleTailored Client" and found ind

RoleTailoredClientprogram filesMicrosoft Dynamics NAV80Role Tailored Client

so the RTC foldername makes no "sense" at all……

The Image naming currently being used perhaps makes sense for you guys…BUT we are using these images every single day…and to us the naming makes no sense…

10. Pallea says:

Also notice the mix of upper/lower-case mixup – eg. program files should be Program Files..

11. Martin Nielander says:

@Palle and Salva

But are these folders still needed now that we have the DVD with an installer?

12. Pallea says:

@Martin

Good question, I tried to bring focus to this some time earlier this year..My suggestion was actually to either

Make two downloads every month (One with full DVD and one with only the specifik update-folders) OR

only to make the DVD downloadable (with two new folders (one containing the update documentation and one containing information of which folders to copy where to in an existing installation).

Regards

Palle

13. Kine says:

ehm, once again, there is Czech version mentioned, but no Czech version is released nor the update package available…

14. Jan Veenendaal says:

I would like to have both – folders and dvd – but as separate downloads.

For existing installations we use the folder structure <- most of the times

For new installations we need the dvd (including up-to date demo database)

Kind regards,

Jan Veenendaal

15. Martin Nielander says:

@Jan

Thanks for the feedback, but please help me understand why you are not just un-installing and then installing the new CU DVD? In this way you do not risk to place something in a wrong place and you should also be able to save time. I can understand that there could be an issue with the config files, but copying them to a safe place before doing the un-install should help you deal with that problem.

16. Pallea says:

@Martin

The reason is quite simple..An uninstall and reinstall takes between 20-30 minutes per computer and has to be done manually. A copy/replace can be done with a script/batch-file and takes two minutes…

Regards

Palle

17. @Martin

I consider the file names to be unnecessarily confusing too, as you can see in my comment in May here:

blogs.msdn.com/…/10524061.aspx

18. Salva says:

@Martin

As Pallea mentions, it's mostly a question of time. Patching the ClickOnce folder (if we had the files) and updating the manifests takes a couple of minutes, whereas uninstalling and installing NAV is much more time consuming. More so, if the machine that serves the clickonce files also has the developer tools, as it means uninstalling, installing without the dev tools, copying the files, updating the installation with the dev environment…

In the end, we usually do a clean nav installation of NAV in a VM, copy de RTC folder, and use that as the base for all our ClickOnce deployments, so it's certainly not the end of the world, but it's a bit frustrating having a folder with the updated files and not being able to use it.

Regards,

Salva.

19. Pallea says:

@Martin

And one very important issue..The "risk" of being forced to do a reboot of the server or that windowsupdates are newer than the applications on the DVD resulting in installation errors.

Regards

Palle

20. Johannes Wikman says:

@Martin

Please keep both DVD zip and hotfix folders. We're using both, but for different purposes. DVD for clean install (before you started shipping this zip, we struggled a lot to create an updated DVD) and hotfix folders to update existing installations.

One of the reasons, not mentioned yet by others, for patching folders instead of a clean re-install is that we often have several builds running on the same server. As an example the customer often tests out new runtime before going live with an update. And most customers (at least ours) does not have dedicated test servers for NAV.

Thanks,

Johannes

21. Pallea says:

Odata does unfortunately STILL not work if a company has a / (forward slash) in the companyname.

So we ALWAYS have to rename Cronus Danmark A/S to Cronus Danmark AS 🙁

22. aldoa says:

Does "361724 Change the modern app from version 1.0 to version 1.1" mean that the self-signed certificate issues are resolved?

23. navteam says:

Hello all,

We have discovered a problem with missing files in the folders that are part of the download packages for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2015 CU1. This is not a problem in the actual build or the full product media (DVD) but about the files that are part of the folders in the download. The files in question are present in the DVD, and so you can copy them from the DVD. A new set of download packages will be available as soon as possible containing all relevant files. The files in the new download packages will have the exact same build number as the files in the original download.

The missing files are for server-side add-ins in the NST folder:

Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.DynamicsOnlineConnect.dll

Microsoft.Dynamics.NAV.Integration.Office.dll

Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.MX.dll

Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.PingPong.dll

Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Management.DSObjectPickerWrapper.dll

Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.DocumentReport.dll

Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.PdfWriter.dll

Microsoft.Dynamics.ElsterTransferHandler.dll

You can find the files in the relevant folders under <DVD file name>ServiceTierprogram filesMicrosoft Dynamics NAV80ServiceAdd-ins on the product media for CU1.

We will post an update as soon as the complete download packages are available.

24. Martin Nielander says:

Thanks for all the feedback in regards to keeping/not keeping the individual folders. All very good points.

/Martin

25. Martin Nielander says:

@Palle, Salva & Jan

One thought though. The DVD file is a complete folder structure as well. Couldn’t the scenario be like:

1. Download and unzip the DVD

2. Copy/Paste the files from the DVD folders rather than the redundant files in the package folder structure

I mean the process can still be scripted even though it only is the DVD that needs to be downloaded. Or what is your take on this?

/Martin

26. harald.spaethe@msu-solutions.de says:

Hi @all!

Just as another suggestion, it may would help if you enable the "repair" switch for the setup.exe.

If you place the new downloaded CU in the old install source location, the installer takes care of the version to be installed/repaired.

At the moment you are able to trigger this only if you launch setup.exe and select to repair the installation from the UI (btw. thanks that you update the registry keys/values for the installed version), but you are not able to launch this process from command line, or some kind of software deployment.

You need to uninstall, then reinstall all the time and keep the fingers crossed that you did not miss something.

ClickOnce is not an option for us/our customers because the limitations (msdn.microsoft.com/…/hh997056(v=nav.71).aspx) break the customers workflow.

From an administrator perspective:

I am not lazy, but if I need to keep many customer installations up-to-date every month, from time to time I can not remember every special customer configuration stuff I did for each client/server installation. I just want to upload the new CU to the customer and launch the repair and thats it. I do not want to check if I need to copy the development client or update the communication components somewhere deep inside "common files" or if the outlook integration is installed …

For the special case of managing different nst and rtc versions in development environments, I prefer the "smaller" hotfix packages, to have a seperate "installation" for each CU by just copying an older one and patch the copy to the new version.

Kind regards!

27. Martin Nielander says:

Just to make it clear.

A patch installer (very desired, I agree) is not around the corner due to current design of the installer process.

/Martin

28. Pallea says:

@Martin

The DVD-solution with "extracting"the files for the update is fine. It could be done by creating an update-batch.cmd file that creates a folder with only the update files. BUT: REMEMBER to include the folder Application in the DVD image !!

Thanks

Palle

29. Martin Nielander says:

@Palle

Oh yes, it would not be much without the application changes in a separate folder.

Martin

30. Martin Nielander says:

@hspaethe

I need to check up on this suggestion. I am not sure that current design allows for this option.

Martin

31. Jan Veenendaal says:

@Martin, @Pallea

The dvd-unzipping option would be sufficient, although not really user friendly.

/Jan

32. Julian says:

Hi,

I was just trying to upgrade a German Cronus 2009 database to 2015 for testing purposes.

After importing the customized objects (in my case standard NAV 2015 objects) and calling the Sync-tenant it fails with the following message:

Sync-NavTenant : Changes to the tenant database could not be applied. Affected

tables will not be available.

The first error was:

There is more than one table synchronization setup defined for table 36 in the

upgrade codeunits.

I checked that Table Sales Header is only mentioned once in Codeunit 104051 what seems to be the case. If I uncomment that line

DataUpgradeMgt.SetTableSyncSetup(DATABASE::"Sales Header",0,TableSynchSetup.Mode::Check);

I get the following error:

Sync-NavTenant : Changes to the tenant database could not be applied. Affected

tables will not be available.

The first error was:

When the TableSynchSetup.Mode::Copy mode is used in an upgrade codeunit for

synchronizing a table, the upgrade table can contain a subset of fields of the

original table. The fields and the primary key of the upgrade table must match

those in the original table.

The following errors must be fixed:

Data in the fields: 'Signature, Date Received, Time Received, BizTalk Request

for Sales Qte., BizTalk Sales Order, Date Sent, Time Sent, BizTalk Sales

Quote, BizTalk Sales Order Cnfmn., Customer Quote No., Customer Order No.,

BizTalk Document Sent' in the original table 'Sales Header' cannot be saved in

the upgrade table 'UPG Sales Header'. Please make sure that listed fields are

present in the upgrade table and they match equivalent fields in the original

table in terms of their design.

I double checked that I do not have a second upgrade-codeunit defined.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Regards,

Julian

33. Pallea says:

@Julian

Instead of using the Sync-NavTenant what happens if you do it the normal way (manually) ?

34. Julian says:

It also gives me an error stating that I should run it as a complete to get details on the error.

35. Pallea says:

If I was going to upgrade a 2009 database my steps would be the following

1. Open 2009 database with classic client

2. Compile all tables

3. Import Upgrade601800.[Country].1.fob

4. Run Form 104001 – Choose Transfer Data (once pr. company)

5. Run Form 104001 – Choose Delete Objects (Only once)

6. Exit NAV 2009

7. Start SQL MSST – Change the compatibility level

8. Start NAV 2013 Dev. Environment and connect to the database

9. Say Yes to upgrade database

10. Exit NAV 2013

11. Start NAV 2015 Dev. Environment and connect to the database

12. Compile all tables

13. Sync tables with Validation!

14. Import all new Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2015 objects (use the Replace All action on the Import Worksheet, and then set the Synchronize Schema option to Later).

15. Import Upgrade601800.[Country].fob.

16. Compile the tables which are not already compiled (set Synchronize Schema option to Later).

17. Synchronize all tables from the Tools menu by selecting Sync. Schema for All Tables, then With Validation.

18. Run the data upgrade process from the Tools menu by selecting Data Upgrade, and then Start.

19. Delete obsolete tables and upgrade toolkit objects.

20. Import updated permissions sets and permissions.

21. Import or register the control add-ins.

Are you doing the same… Where in the process does it go wrong?

36. Julian says:

Thank you very much for your help. I actually did not perform step 13, I must have missed it in the manual. Could thar be the reason?

Regards

Julian

37. Pallea says:

The Sync. part regardless of numbering are extremely important in Dynamics NAV 2015 because it actually updates the servicetier and sql so they are in yes Sync 🙂

38. js@agidon.dk says:

Just wanted to thank Martin Nielander for engaging with the partners 🙂

39. Salva says:

@Martin

I had not noticed that the DVD had a RoleTailored Client  folder with the files. I would still have the same problem as I had with the RTC patch folder, though, wouldn't I? (It includes all the designer files, which should not be included with the ClickOnce installer).

P.S. As a somewhat related suggestion, seeing the NAV team commenting on the blog is nice, but it would be great if NAV had a portal similar to the one available for Azure ( feedback.azure.com/…/34192–general-feedback ) to suggest ways in which to improve the product.

40. Martin Nielander says:

@Jan and Kai

In regards to naming of the file you download, then there is not much we can do about it(name is auto generated by the download server). My only recommendation is that you take a look at the "Which hotfix package to download" section of the kb article, to understand the naming.

We will though, as suggested, try to make the name more consistent across versions and country versions.

41. Martin Nielander says:

@Salva

Correct, it will not be relevant to deploy what you refer to as designer files. Maybe you can get some inspiration from this PS script on the DVD ($WinClientDirectory should though be a path from the CU DVD): \DVDWindowsPowerShellScriptsCloudNAVAdministrationClickOnceCopy-ClientFilesToApplicationFilesDirectory.ps1?

It has a process for copying everything and then delete unwanted files:

PROCESS

{

# Copy all the WinClient files to the DeploymentApplicationFiles folder

Write-Verbose "Copying files from $WinClientDirectory to $ClickOnceApplicationFilesDirectory…"

Copy-Item $WinClientDirectory* -destination $ClickOnceApplicationFilesDirectory -recurse

Write-Verbose "Done copying files from $WinClientDirectory to $ClickOnceApplicationFilesDirectory."

# Delete files that are not needed for a ClickOnce-deployed win client

Write-Verbose "Deleting files from $ClickOnceApplicationFilesDirectory that are not needed for a ClickOnce-deployed win client…"

Makes sense?

/Martin

42. @Pallea – Regarding your issue with the Odata forward slash in the companyname, I have verified that the code is up to date on this matter, so if you still have issues please contact support in order to get this resolved.

43. Pallea says:

@Jorge Alberto Torres [MSFT]

I have just tested it again with a CLEAN windows 8.1, Office 2013 (latest update) and NAV 2015 CU1(DK) Cronus Danmark A/S company… I Published Page 22 as a webservice and i didn't work. A rename of company to Cronus Danmark A/S and then it works…

44. navteam says:

The download packages have been updated as described earlier, and you can now download the cumulative update from KB 3013215  â€“ Cumulative Update 1 for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2015 (Build 38457). As Martin described earlier, the new set of download packages contain the DVD image and the Application folder only. The files in the new download packages have the exact same build number as the files in the original download. The new download will give you the same options for patching both new and current installations of Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2015. You can either install the new image or you can unpack the image and copy/paste files from the DVD folder structure.

BR

The NAV team

45. Martin Nielander says:

Please also see this blog post, if you need inspiration, for how to script getting to a folder structure for manual patching of binary files: blogs.msdn.com/…/how-to-get-back-the-hotfix-directories-from-nav-2015-cumulative-update-1.aspx

46. Lawrence says:

Very USeful

47. Jason Wilder says:

Could you create a similar document for NAV 2009 R2 to NAV 2016?