Embedding fonts into PDF

Update: I stand corrected, embedding fonts into a PDF is not an option with the SAVEASPDF function in NAV 2009.

But now you at least know that this is solved in our next version.

I just want to share a small tip today. If you need to include a custom font into a RDLC report you need to first install the font, of course.

The Font must be a True Type font. If your font is an Open Type font you will need to convert this first for it to visible in Visual Studio.

Then you will need to restart the computer for the font to be embedded into the report when saving as PDF.

The restart issue took me some time to figure out, so with this small tip, you hopefully will not loose as much hair as I did, when you include a custom font into a RDLC report.

I have attached a sample RDLC report with a custom barcode font.

Report with embedded font.pdf

1. Stefano Capitanio Divimast says:

Hi Claus,

This means that if I use SAVEASPDF(….) i'll get a pdf file with embedded fonts?

I did a lot of times but I got ALWAYS pdf files without embedded fonts.

Please could you attach an example with a very simple report, using a very popular font (arial is installed on every pc) I can use with SAVEASPDF an get a PDF file with embedded fonts?

2. clausl says:

Hi Stefano,

I suggest you use the font Segoe UI, this will be the standard font in our reports in our next version. More about this later…

Design any report in VS, change a textbox or more to the font Segoe UI. Save, compile and run report and export to PDF.

In Acrobat select "File / Properties"

Select "Fonts" tab.

Verify that the Segoe UI font is included in your PDF file.

3. Stefano Capitanio Divimast says:

Ciao Claus

Sorry for my stupid question but we both are using about Nav2009 R2 and VS 2008 or you are wroking with a beta version of Nav7 and VS2010?

4. clausl says:

I'm using NAV 2009 R2 Build 32012. Drop me an e-mail(my e-mail address should be easy to guess) or click "Email Blog Author", then I will have a look why you cannot get it working.

5. Stefano Capitanio Divimast Srl Italy says:

Ciao Claus,I emailed you using Email Blog author.

I didn't get any confirmation about it.

Let me know if you don't receive it.

6. Paul Newns says:

It is worth noting that unless you have the rights to distribute the font that you are using that it is illegal to embed the font.

7. Stefano Capitanio Divimast srl says:

Ciao Claus,

I noticed an important difference between your attached pdf example and mine:

If I open your pdf in Proprerties I see In Advanced section Pdf Author value:

"Microsoft Reporting Service PDF Rendering Extension".

In mine pdf (created with Nav2009 R2) the i see the value:

"Microsoft Reporting Service 9.0".

Do I need to install on my computer some additional Visual Studio extension or some hotfix?

e-mail address removed by clausl

8. Pramod Singh says:

I want to save my rdlc report is not Class name I want to save by TextBox Vale Name(if i inster in textbox by paramater is pramod )then when I save this is save auto Pramo option.