Synchronizing Tasks to Dynamics NAV 5.0 with linked contacts

It has come to my attention that in Outlook 2007 by default Contacts are not linked to Tasks. Let's assume you have a salesperson that goes onsite to a specific prospect and that he agrees to follow up. So he creates a Task in Outlook. In Outlook 2003, this was quite easy. You just went to the bottom of the Task window and you pressed on the Contacts button next to Categories.

 This Contacts button is not there in Outlook 2007.

To enable this in Outlook 2007, you simply select Tools / Options / Preferences / Contact Options. Now you have the opportunity to links the contacts to every form. The salesperson is now able to create a Task while being onsite and link it to a specific Contact.

After synchronizing to NAV with the new Outlook Synchronization functionality, a ToDo is created for the salesperson with an additional contact added. The Contact should be there as well in NAV. That contact now also has a ToDo. 

Marco Mels (mmels)
Microsoft Dynamics NL

Comments (3)

  1. Lars Tvis says:

    I tried using the link functionality described here but i still don't get the contact numbers to show on the to-dos in NAV. The to-dos are synchronized but without contactnumbers.

    Any ideas what the problem could be (NAV 2009 SP1+Outlook 2007 is used)?

  2. marco mels says:

    Hello Lars,

    Good question. Most likely, the Outlook Collections have not (yet) been configured or have not been configured correctly. To do so or to verify that these are correct, please have a look at the first screenshot in my other blog posting:…/outlook-synchronization-and-working-with-tasks-and-appointments.aspx

    I would expect in your scenario that for the TASK entity, there is no Outlook Collection configured for the TASK entity. It should be set to Links. For the APP entity, it should be set to Recipients.


    Marco Mels


    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

  3. Lars Tvis says:

    Hi Marco,

    Thx for a fast reply… I tried configuring the Outlook Collections as described. Ran into this:…/an-error-has-occurred-during-the-synchronization-process.aspx

    Cleared everything a couple of times according to this:…/outlook-synchronization-and-baseline-implementation-for-dynamics-nav-5-0-sp1-and-dynamics-nav-2009-sp1.aspx

    And got it to work – now the task come in as to-dos (with the contact added correctly!) 🙂

    Best Regards

    Lars Tvis

Skip to main content